Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Official N/A exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:40 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
Really? I figured they were junk, but I guess since even the nicest pipe will do little for HP, why spend a lot. Could you just have them replace only the muffler, or is really better to have them do from the cat back? Just don't want to get screwed like I did with my accord(POS), the dumb guy screwed up and I had a whistle like sounds under load, and he wouldn't fix it, gay. But of couse he did from the flex pipe back and this would just be the cat back, and I won't go to him. Thanks for the help, $200 is a lot better then $500 or more. I can get a lot of other stuff for $300.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 00 2.5RS
Ganz CAI
Borla headers
Stromung SS header-back
Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I have a cat-back pipe with a rectangular tip, no muffler
$85...budget! Sounds pretty darn good.
That and a reflashed ECU, and I'm doing 0-60 in <5 secs (yes, measured, not estimated) in an '02 WRX.
I'm quite happy with that for now.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2002 2.5RS
Question Exhaust sound question!

I'm sure this has been answered before, but please humor me, I'm new here. I'm looking to purchase an axle back. I have an '02 25.RS. I was thinking of getting the Bosal/SPT Subaru Exhaust or a Stromung dual tip. Which is better regarding performance and which will sound better/louder? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
I started my own thread----> https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-non-turbo-all-non-turbo-imprezas-61/2-2-impreza-wagon-exhaust-project-%5Bheader-back%5D-77386/

Okay- I'm finally gonna let my car breathe... I installed borla headers on my '98 2.2 OBS, and I have a muffler ready to install. I was planning to go to the local exhaust shop this coming week and get a cat-back installed- but, when I installed the header, I realized that if the cat-pipe were also replaced, I'd have a completely new exhaust.

Here are my questions:
- Would an exhaust shop be able to bend a cat-pipe and install a high-flow cat in-line?(a universal one- to be purchased by me) Could they replicate the random tech design more or less by doing this (for much cheaper)? I realize I'd need a second O2 sensor input in addition to the one in the cat... That can just go in the pipe after the cat, correct? (I remember seeing pics of the random-tech and stromung cat-pipes, but I can't find them right now)
If I were to do this, would you recommend keeping the same diameter piping through the whole exhaust? I was planning to go with 2.25in for the cat-back, but I wasn't sure what would be best for the cat-pipe.

Also... What do you all think about a resonator or flex-pipe, or both? Where should they be located

and last question... would changing the O2 sensors be beneficial (I'm at 130K mi.- bought it at 105K w/ no records, so I dont know what's been done )

Go ahead, hate on my Ebay exhaust! But its all CHEAP- and that's what matters
...seriously now - PLEASE let me know if any of this is crap that's gonna rust and fall off or blow up. It all looks okay to me- but looks can be deceiving.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33633

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33629

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636

again...the muffler I already have.

If any of you have any input, speak up please!

Last edited by scoobsport98; 10-25-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS Blue Ridge Pearl
A few years back I put a Stromung SS single-tip exhaust on my 2000 RS. No other changes.

It sounds great, now pulls all the way to redline, and only lost a very little of low-end torque.

However, I also get about 10 MPG less on the highways (around 23 instead of previous 34) with 93-octane summer gasoline (usually Exxon).

When I go on long trips I generally put the stock exhaust back on to save gasoline. It's a decently quick swap since I traded in the two stock steel bolts with SS bolts. My thumbs are starting to wear out pushing the hanging tabs through the rubber holders, though.

Since I have added a towing hitch I'm thinking my plans of making this into a turbo beast (before even the WRX was released in the US) will now fall by the wayside. I have 102,000 miles now and my baby still runs like a champ and doesn't burn any oil.

I'm even thinking of selling my Stromung in case anyone would like to make an offer. (My goal is 300,000 miles at least, and I'd like to save some gasoline in the meantime; don't worry though, I'll still keep my Yokohama AVS tires... )
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM

Car Info: '98 Neon R/T
Originally Posted by zaphod

However, I also get about 10 MPG less on the highways (around 23 instead of previous 34) with 93-octane summer gasoline (usually Exxon).
Interesting that you mention the loss of MPG. I lost about 4-5 MPG after just installing my muffler (not even a complete rear section). I've NEVER heard of such a thing--if anything an intake (I have a home-made CAI) and exhaust should allow an engine to breather easier and SAVE fuel. Anyone have an idea on why it doesn't work this way on these cars?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS Blue Ridge Pearl
My take is that with my better-flowing Amsoil foam-oil air filter and the better-flowing Stromung SS exhaust is that with the lack of backpressure on the system, more air is able to flow into the engine, and hence more oxygen, which means the ECU will add more fuel.

There's more power and it pulls all the way to redline without running out of "umph" as the presure is restricted, but as such the fuel economy suffers.

J
Old 12-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Impreza 2.5RS
Thumbs up performance exhaust sound clips

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1
Old 01-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Question

has anyone put a Greddy Evo2 on a 2004 TS? Curious as to how it fits being that its not really made for that year. I was looking into either buying this or trying to replicate something similar but done at a local muffler shop. If anyone else happens to know a good muffler to buy to replicate the Evo2 catback system, i'd be apprectiative to know that as well. :-)
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 05 2.5RS Wagon Royal Blue Pearl
WRXmuff on 05RS

To replace the dual tip muffler on my 92 legacy, a eBay WRX muffler was the cheapest way to go. It sounded great, and cost 35.00 to modify. I've since picked up an 05RS. I could not help it and I installed another 10.00 WRX muffler on my new RS. Not nearly as loud or mean on the new car, but that is just fine. I bring it up again because I found the solution to the "whistling WRX muffler on NA suby phenomenon.” I never experienced this on my Legacy because I had to move the tips out about an in to get them to the edge of the bumper. Well with the muff on the RS I had my bro drive around me, and there was a little whistle at low RPM. So I moved the tips out about 1cm, and no whistling just beautiful suby burble. I combined a WRX midpipe with my RS' midpipe so the muffler is a direct bolt on, and I'm ready for any WRX aftermarket axleback.

Quick Reply: Official N/A exhaust thread