Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Looking to build a 200+ hp 2.2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 90 legacy
Looking to build a 200+ hp 2.2 engine

New here but it looks like a good group of subaru gurus so hopefully I can get some input. Heres the deal I am looking at getting as much hp out or a non turbo 2.2 engine as possible . This will be going into a circle track car so its not a production setup.
I have ran these engine in a complete stock situation and the hp and torque impressed me enough to try one of these in a different situation. I was looking at 90-96 legacy engines . From what I have looked up they were rated about 137 hp from the factory . Sound about right? I have not tore into one of these yet to find the valve clearance maybe someone might know ? Also I have looked around to see what camshafts are available but everthing I have found is for a wrx. I dont believe that will work for my application because I am assuming those are set up for turbos .
Heres my thoughts so far . I dont know whats out there for pistons to raise my compression so I am planning on shaving the heads . I have found cometic headgaskets to run which will help me out.
Intake I will have a sheet metal intake with a holley 500 cfm carb .
Exhaust seems a issue with such a small opening , has anyone ported oneof these ? If so how far can you go?
Heads not sure whats out there that would fit a 2.2 90ish engine . Are there any years that are better ?
Cams might be a issue as mentioned above . The only ones I have found was through Crower . I called them to see what they have but they are gone untill jan 3rd .
Just looking for some tricks, input or a direction on where to go . Thanks
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 90 legacy
Ok so obviously there are no takers here . Must be for a less mod group . Anyone know of a board that I can post at ? There has to be someone doing some crazy things with these engines.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
If you're talking carbs and late(r) model Subaru engines, check out some of the VW bug forums for a bevy of ideas. Iirc, they make adapters to mount carbs right on the block, aka no need for an ECU etc.

Good luck.