Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Installing new valve cover gaskets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Car Info: A boxy old brick
Ok I finished man that took me forever. I put a dab of rtv where it was recommended
on the gasket rtved the half moons ended up having to use a channel lock pliers to remove half moons and having to pry out the covers with a screwdriver. I cleaned out the gasket channels with some mineral spirits and let it dry also cleaned all the rtv off the surfaces. Gonna light her up tomorrow and hope for the best. Just curious what would happen if wet or dry rtv got into the oil?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by ikearu
Ok I finished man that took me forever. I put a dab of rtv where it was recommended
on the gasket rtved the half moons ended up having to use a channel lock pliers to remove half moons and having to pry out the covers with a screwdriver. I cleaned out the gasket channels with some mineral spirits and let it dry also cleaned all the rtv off the surfaces. Gonna light her up tomorrow and hope for the best. Just curious what would happen if wet or dry rtv got into the oil?
nice! seems like you took your time to clean all old material off for a tighter and better seal. if RTV got in the oil, it would harden and make its way into oil passages, potentially plugging a galley and stopping oil delivery to any given part (heads, cams, etc) how does she run? leak free?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM

Car Info: A boxy old brick
Yup the car is super quiet and the engine runs and idles sooooo buttery smooth no leaks also I did a oil change after like 3 days or so. Taking time on something does pay off in this case.