Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Will a stock GR sti tmic fit a GD sti? Well, I'll let you guys decide.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
I'm looking to do the same on my 07 STI, what's held me back is the splitter! Ed you get my PM?

Last edited by SeaOfGreen; 04-26-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Haha... the reason I ask is that I've been dreaming up a splitter for this... of course no telling when I'll have any time to actually make it!

The baby is due on 7/7/11... we're very excited to say the least!

Ron, you know of any good mechanics looking for work?

-- Ed
You and me both Ed. Having that bigger splitter would also open up possibilities of maybe running aftermarket GR tmics down the line for the older GD wrx/sti owners. It's a good idea so go for it.

I don't know but something about that due date seems like lucky numbers to me. You might have to start investing on some BABY ON BOARD stickers pretty soon.

Mechanics, other than myself (homie hookup mechanic and mickey mouse tuner for the broke) I don't know too many that's not already currently working in shops. I think the difficult part is getting a mechanic that you can trust and depend on, which is hard to come by nowadays. How about good ol' Mr. First 11sec sti on the vf39? He's always down. Seriously though(in a good way), I can only imagine that one...... maybe mechanic and babysitter?

Ron
Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by STINGR4
You and me both Ed. Having that bigger splitter would also open up possibilities of maybe running aftermarket GR tmics down the line for the older GD wrx/sti owners. It's a good idea so go for it.

I don't know but something about that due date seems like lucky numbers to me. You might have to start investing on some BABY ON BOARD stickers pretty soon.

Mechanics, other than myself (homie hookup mechanic and mickey mouse tuner for the broke) I don't know too many that's not already currently working in shops. I think the difficult part is getting a mechanic that you can trust and depend on, which is hard to come by nowadays. How about good ol' Mr. First 11sec sti on the vf39? He's always down. Seriously though(in a good way), I can only imagine that one...... maybe mechanic and babysitter?

Ron
... with his OCD I think it'd take him a week to install a TBE

-- Ed
Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 AM

Car Info: MY07 WRX
Hi.
This is my first post. I will do a proper intro but I have to ask a question. The intercooler that was used for the test fit are both USDM models? If not is the larger TMIC similar to the JDM?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by thenic123
Hi.
This is my first post. I will do a proper intro but I have to ask a question. The intercooler that was used for the test fit are both USDM models? If not is the larger TMIC similar to the JDM?
Yes they are both USDM models. The JDM is slightly smaller and here is a picture comparing a usdm 04 sti tmic and a v7 sti tmic from a different forum that I did a few years back comparing the two. V7 sti tmic needs the black bracket on the driver side to be modified(cut and weld to make it taller by about a half an inch or holes enlarged) to fit nice and snug on a USDM GD sti.

Left is stock sti tmic(silver hard breather line) and Right is the taller JDM v7 sti tmic(black hard breather line that came from my stock USDM 04 STI)

Thanks,

Ron
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
... with his OCD I think it'd take him a week to install a TBE

-- Ed
OCD = ONLY COULD DRIVE

Ron
Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Bump, can we get those images in the 1st post re-hosted so that others can see the awesome write up from back then?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 AM

I'm going to see if I still have these pictures on my old laptop and update the thread accordingly.

Ron
Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Further resurrecting this thread, because i just finished this project myself, here are my notes:

Installing a 2015 STi Intercooler in to my 2006 STi.

* bought the 2011 3rd intercooler bracket.
* bought the 2" 90-degree Mishimoto hose
* bought 2x Mishimoto clamps, sized 2.25"
* bought 3x Subaru intercooler bracket bolts [Note, I only ended up using ONE bolt]
* bought Grimmspeed gaskets for the y-pipe and BOV

took my sweet time wrapping the new GR/GV intercooler. If i didn't do this, this swap would have taken 2, maybe 3 hours, tops. I'm no expert mechanic either, but i'm a bit familiar with working on my car.

Except for the obvious of the installation of the intercooler, here are my notes.

* the 3rd intercooler bracket (aka RH Intercooler stay 2) DON'T FIT in the 2006 GD STi. Where it bolts to the motor, the mount for the 2006 A/C lines interferes. Tried to squeeze it under, but then the A/C lines would rub on the mount. Ended up simply hacksawing the 3rd intercooler bracket, so it was "like an extension" of the original STi RH Intercooler stay 1.

Maybe to those WRX owners out there, you'll need the STi RH intercooler stay 1 at the least!

* on my 2006 STi, the Mishimoto 2" 90-degree hose fit perfectly fine. used their clamps too. When fitting it on the compressor outlet, it was easy to squeeze on. Though it appeared there was a bit "extra length", i just shoved it a little deeper on the compressor outlet. if buying Mishimoto clamps, be sure to buy the 2.25" ones, as that has enough clamp range to fit over a fitted 2" hose.

* after figuring out the bracket and the hose, it actually was about as easy as it gets. Perhaps the one part which involved a bit of flexing was lining up the intercooler bolts. Take your time and it will line up...there's quite a bit of movement available if you are patient.

I didn't want to mickey mouse it and have the intercooler held with only one side bolt and the throttle body hose, and using the 3rd intercooler bracket met my objectives.

For those who are really crafty, i suppose a metal plate with drilled holes would also work, but i liked the welded nut at the bottom of the OEM intercooler stay.

Now...on to the problem of the splitter. Open to hearing what others may have done.

Let me know if anyone wants pics of the 3rd intercooler bracket installed, or if you're interested in part numbers...
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
Further resurrecting this thread, because i just finished this project myself, here are my notes:

Installing a 2015 STi Intercooler in to my 2006 STi.

* bought the 2011 3rd intercooler bracket.
* bought the 2" 90-degree Mishimoto hose
* bought 2x Mishimoto clamps, sized 2.25"
* bought 3x Subaru intercooler bracket bolts [Note, I only ended up using ONE bolt]
* bought Grimmspeed gaskets for the y-pipe and BOV

took my sweet time wrapping the new GR/GV intercooler. If i didn't do this, this swap would have taken 2, maybe 3 hours, tops. I'm no expert mechanic either, but i'm a bit familiar with working on my car.

Except for the obvious of the installation of the intercooler, here are my notes.

* the 3rd intercooler bracket (aka RH Intercooler stay 2) DON'T FIT in the 2006 GD STi. Where it bolts to the motor, the mount for the 2006 A/C lines interferes. Tried to squeeze it under, but then the A/C lines would rub on the mount. Ended up simply hacksawing the 3rd intercooler bracket, so it was "like an extension" of the original STi RH Intercooler stay 1.

Maybe to those WRX owners out there, you'll need the STi RH intercooler stay 1 at the least!

* on my 2006 STi, the Mishimoto 2" 90-degree hose fit perfectly fine. used their clamps too. When fitting it on the compressor outlet, it was easy to squeeze on. Though it appeared there was a bit "extra length", i just shoved it a little deeper on the compressor outlet. if buying Mishimoto clamps, be sure to buy the 2.25" ones, as that has enough clamp range to fit over a fitted 2" hose.

* after figuring out the bracket and the hose, it actually was about as easy as it gets. Perhaps the one part which involved a bit of flexing was lining up the intercooler bolts. Take your time and it will line up...there's quite a bit of movement available if you are patient.

I didn't want to mickey mouse it and have the intercooler held with only one side bolt and the throttle body hose, and using the 3rd intercooler bracket met my objectives.

For those who are really crafty, i suppose a metal plate with drilled holes would also work, but i liked the welded nut at the bottom of the OEM intercooler stay.

Now...on to the problem of the splitter. Open to hearing what others may have done.

Let me know if anyone wants pics of the 3rd intercooler bracket installed, or if you're interested in part numbers...
Great job. As far as modding the splitter goes it never materialized. I had modified a few here locally on different cars but I just modded the opening on the turbo splitter side with a dremel for simplicity sake. Used some stock spare rubber gaskets that I had laying around in the splitter for one that wanted the wider opening to give it that stock look and etc. As far as the ac rubbing goes, it's hard for me to visualize at this moment, but you could have probably just notched the holes/bent the IC brackets to get that clearance you needed. For the 3rd bracket if you want to keep it intact for anyone reading this, you will need to drill and tap the factory bracket that holds the coolant reservoir so you can use a bolt to hold it place or whatever is clever.

Ron