Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Timing Belt Change Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Timing Belt Change Advice

I am going to change my 2005 STI timing belt (and pulleys, Water pump, tensioner and what ever else is recommended by those experienced here).

I am pretty handy having done dozen timing belts in other cars.

I notice in the manual several 'special tools' are they really required? I have never needed one on my other cars but thought i would check.

I did search the forum but did not find a 'how to guide change the timing belt' here on the forum. Can someone point me to one? I know from experience that tips from forums have good insights ways to save frustration. So thanks in advance.

I have a few other questions for those experts here.
When i start up i get a pulley squeal, i am guessing that is just an idler pulley. Is that normal, and do you just replace or try to re-oil or re-bearing it?

When I turn the steering hard either way i get the power steering squeal. It is full of fluid. Does that indicate imminent failure or just need to bleed air out of the system.

Thanks again

David
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
I have a water pump that is OEM and new in the box with a gasket if you need it
Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Wrx STi
Originally Posted by razerx
I am going to change my 2005 STI timing belt (and pulleys, Water pump, tensioner and what ever else is recommended by those experienced here).

I am pretty handy having done dozen timing belts in other cars.

I notice in the manual several 'special tools' are they really required? I have never needed one on my other cars but thought i would check.

I did search the forum but did not find a 'how to guide change the timing belt' here on the forum. Can someone point me to one? I know from experience that tips from forums have good insights ways to save frustration. So thanks in advance.

I have a few other questions for those experts here.
When i start up i get a pulley squeal, i am guessing that is just an idler pulley. Is that normal, and do you just replace or try to re-oil or re-bearing it?

When I turn the steering hard either way i get the power steering squeal. It is full of fluid. Does that indicate imminent failure or just need to bleed air out of the system.

Thanks again

David
Don't take off the cam gears todo the water pump like the factory manual says. This will save you a lot of time. The SST cam gear tools make life really easy but it is possible todo this job without them. Make sure you rotate the cam gears in the proper direction or you will bend a valve stem seal.

Sounds like you have a bad p/s pump or a loose p/s belt. Hard to tell without hearing it in person.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 PM

Is the SST cam gear just used to hold the cams in place to put the timing belt back on?

Any other tricky stuff on this? Easiest to pull the radiator?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Javirex23
I have a water pump that is OEM and new in the box with a gasket if you need it
Is it fairly new? Is the WP the same for all the engines or is there one for the 2.5 specifically?

How much?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I had to change out a faulty cog gear in my 02 and the trouble spots i had are

The Crank pulley bolt.
I used a metal pipe that i put over my breaker bar and let it rest on the frame/body then went inside the car and slightly turned the key had to do twice as the first time was to soft you just want to click it not turn the car over.Once the bolt is good take off set your crank timing mark and then check your cam timing marks, adjust if needed then put the cam gear lock tool on that breadsauce mentioned and swap pulleys,pump etc out

Next was the alignment on the cam when i was putting the belt back on.I did not have the tool that breadsauce mentioned, the cam would keep turning from the slightest touch and took me a few time to get it.
Also for a FYI the cams only turn a certain way so make sure you get the info online if you do not use the cam gear lock tool.

Also the tensioner if you are not changing it out you will need a clamp to squeeze the pin down but pretty sure the kit will come with a new one.

I remember one more slide the last part of the belt on the bottom left middle-ish small pulley once it slides on there and everything checks out pull the pin on the tensioner.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Is the SST cam gear just used to hold the cams in place to put the timing belt back on?

Any other tricky stuff on this? Easiest to pull the radiator?
Yes it locks the cam gears from moving def will be getting one when i do my service sucked with out it..I only removed the fans but radiator will give you even more room to work.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Here is a link to the tool so you can get more info
Company23 Subaru Cam Lock Tool Subaru Turbo Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2004-2015 STI) 506 at RallySportDirect.com
Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Yes there's two SST one for intake gear one for exhaust. The gears that "walk" are on the drivers side near the water pump. The passenger ones won't walk if your at TDC. I've done it with and without the tools and it seems to be hard either way. If someone is around when I'm lining up the gears I grab a extra hand. Also the belt guide can be realigned with a piece of cardboard for spacing so it doesn't rub the belt. A mirror comes really handy for lining up the marks. Yes pull the radiator. Also get a t-stat and gasket. Good todo while your in there
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
I had to change out a faulty cog gear in my 02 and the trouble spots i had are

The Crank pulley bolt.
I used a metal pipe that i put over my breaker bar and let it rest on the frame/body then went inside the car and slightly turned the key had to do twice as the first time was to soft you just want to click it not turn the car over.Once the bolt is good take off set your crank timing mark and then check your cam timing marks, adjust if needed then put the cam gear lock tool on that breadsauce mentioned and swap pulleys,pump etc out

Next was the alignment on the cam when i was putting the belt back on.I did not have the tool that breadsauce mentioned, the cam would keep turning from the slightest touch and took me a few time to get it.
Also for a FYI the cams only turn a certain way so make sure you get the info online if you do not use the cam gear lock tool.

Also the tensioner if you are not changing it out you will need a clamp to squeeze the pin down but pretty sure the kit will come with a new one.

I remember one more slide the last part of the belt on the bottom left middle-ish small pulley once it slides on there and everything checks out pull the pin on the tensioner.
so you are using the starter motor to break the crank pulley bolt?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
seems like a good spend for $50
Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM

should i get new bolts w/ the pulleys?

Gates Belt or OEM?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
^ I say OEM, the timing components are very important and it's not worth risking a motor over a few bucks. IMO
Old 03-01-2015, 09:53 PM

seems like a good spend for $50
I'm buying one right now

QUOTE="razerx;3587991"]

so you are using the starter motor to break the crank pulley bolt?[/QUOTE]

I use my air gun todo this. I like this idea though
Old 03-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by BreadSauce
I'm buying one right now

QUOTE="razerx;3587991"]

so you are using the starter motor to break the crank pulley bolt?
I use my air gun todo this. I like this idea though[/QUOTE]

On some cars, like hondas and mazdas you can use the starter motor to break the crankbolt loose. you just need to make sure the rotation of the pulley is clockwise for a normal threaded bolt. I have a beefy impact gun but sometimes it won't work.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Change Advice