Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Think my car is in limp mode... how do I fix it!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow Think my car is in limp mode... how do I fix it!?

Figured I'd make a thread that is about the problem to make it easier.

Two days ago my power steering belt broke because I was dumb and didn't check it and replace it like I should.
Today I replaced both belts and everything appears to be fine. The pulleys are running straight and true, there is no wobbling of the crank pulley or any of the belts/pulleys.

The problem however is that the car seems to be in limp mode or something...

Cut off - YouTube

That's my crappy video of what is happening. It gets to 4500rpm and doesn't go higher. I am getting zero CEL's or flashing cruise light. I pulled codes and there are nothing.

I checked all hoses, removed intercooler, checked leaking oil or anything out of the norm... nothing. Everything looks fine.

I can start the car, and shut it off no problems. Starts up and idles perfectly fine. I hear no knocking and there is no pinging noise. There is no crazy vibration from the engine or cabin. I looked online for a missfire and saw how the engine acts and my car is definitely not doing that.

I am able to flash my map on my car thinking that it was perhaps a tune issue (Even though I've been running the same tune for 2 years now) . The things I have not done is use my access port to turn the car back to "stock" via a base map... I will do that tomorrow when I get home to at least narrow it down to a mechanical problem or tune problem...

I have reset the ECU both by taking the negative terminal off the battery at least 6 times, and also reset it via AP. Still the same issue as above, won't go about 4500rpm.

Thought the car was in VALET mode, and it was at one point from pulling the negative terminal on the battery and once changed BACK to normal mode still doesn't go above 4500rpm.

At this point I am really drawing a loss. I have an appointment next friday to get the car checked out but I'd like to figure out if it's something I can do and save probably $$$'s of dollars...

I've searched and everything that is showing limp mode has a CEL associated with it, where mine isn't...

Seeing what all can be done...

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Car Info: Subaru STI
I noticed that I am having the same issue just the other day! Everything idles fine sounds good as well.. I'd like to resolve the issue as well so please keep us updated!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Is there a check engine light?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Check your cats to besure they are not broken or damaged, that will cause this issue to happen. Also, since you replaced belts, you may need to check and makesure you don't need to replace your solenoids.

One last thing.. it may be a stupid one but are the two green plugs under your dash connected? If they are.. they shouldn't be!!

Ryan
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Not limp mode, you'd have a CEL and flashing cruise control.

You have launch control enabled.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
^^^