Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

new motor error

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 2005 suby sti
Question new motor error

dropped rebuilt motor in car this weekend fired right up and ran for about 10 min let cool. ran again for 5 minutes and started idling rough fluttered gas a lil and stalled and found cel p0011 and p0021 cam position sensor advance. looking futher in to problem code says that oil pressure is contstant to advace the cams making the car run really rich. why wouldnt it retard itself if it knows its too advanced? so i took it for an easy drive not over 3200 rpm i didnt want the boost to kick up. 10 miles of mellow flucuation of R's and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. shut the car down immeadiately.does any one have any info as to what may occured. i ripped the motor back out yeaterday and am going to start breaking the motor down again. cam position fault was the same as when it first catostrophicly melted the rod bearings and mains. oil pressure and water temp all looked fine. i do feel like it came up to temp pretty quickly.

stock sti no mods any more.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Who built the motor?
Did you diagnose the cause of first engine failure?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM

i rebuilt it and checked all the tolerances, im under the conclusion. the cel for the cam position advance is telling me that the cam may not be springing back when the oil pressure is not there. i may have messed the intake gear spring up! but this should not of made the car fail. the first time was due to low oil and running car harder than i should have for a long period of time. now that its happened a second time im thinking maybe one of the cavities or journals that feed oil to rods, mains ect. may be clogged with metal particles i won't know till i break it down. buying two new intake gears. cam gear tool and having the block cleaned this week. might as well get it honed while im at it. and what ever bearings i just ate up in breaking it in. Any other suggestions? or you think on im on the right track. what would be the consequences of breaking in with synthetic oils? i know to use reg. oil this time but what normally happens if you dont? doesnt break in correctly ever, take longer to break in. or catostrophic failure???
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 2008 STi
are you doing all of this yourself? or do you have a professional mechanic working with you?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 PM

all myself ive built race motors with old small blocks before so i know the processes this is a lil new creature to me. getting the essential tools is key. that cam tool is a must i can see that now. getting that block apart tonight i'll be able to tell what happened. iam a professional mechanic just in the semiconductor industry! i've worked on cars all my life. this isnt my first rodeo. its just my first subaru rodeo!

Last edited by trubluevoeater; 08-10-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
It sounds like you destroyed your bearings on the stock motor. If that's the case, did you swap out the factory oil cooler? You can clean the oil cooler to no end and still have bearing material lodged inside that will take out the new bearings in no time. Make sure to clean everything that touches oil and get a new oil cooler this time around. Also be very careful when you RTV the block halves together as well as the cam girdles. Excessive RTV can get lodged in oil passages and cause starvation.

-- Ed
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

thanks ed i did not change the oil cooler out, great heads up. i was worried bout the rtv on the heads around the journal that adjusts the cams, so when i first torqued them down i let it dry and took it back apart to see if i clogged that vein there. but on the block i didnt see any viens too close to where i was puttin rtv.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by trubluevoeater
thanks ed i did not change the oil cooler out, great heads up. i was worried bout the rtv on the heads around the journal that adjusts the cams, so when i first torqued them down i let it dry and took it back apart to see if i clogged that vein there. but on the block i didnt see any viens too close to where i was puttin rtv.
There are no veins that are really close on the block, but excessive RTV beads can come off and get lodged in the crank and rod oil passages.

-- Ed
Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
OT: is there such a thing as a 110 modified sine wave to 110 pure sine wave converter / inverter?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM

sigma whats the application for? sure with a rectifier and a pulse system you can customize a sine wave to certain extents. ac or dc? dc im assuming, where did this question come from? i belive someone makes a interuption box with certain combinations of resistors and diodes to control the wave.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM

found a oil cooler pretty cheap out of colorado flatirons.com 202.00 plus shipping. thanks ed all these details are great. i dont think i put to much on the block i was actually worried i didnt put enough, it barely spread out on the outside of the block. are bearings still on back order with every one around the states still. cause i found this

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...n_bearing.html

what does everybody feel about Tomei bearings. thats what i ended up putting the first time around. I'll wait for the acl ones if thats the co. to go with.

i just want my babe up and running, i hadn't drove it for a mo. and a half. and then to sit in it again was like setting a fire under my ****. and the rumble, oh love that flat four rumble.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

The ACL bearings are available from Gruppe-S I believe.

-- Ed
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

sigma whats the application for? sure with a rectifier and a pulse system you can customize a sine wave to certain extents. ac or dc? dc im assuming, where did this question come from? i belive someone makes a interuption box with certain combinations of resistors and diodes to control the wave.
That's just his standard OT question.
I think his symbian needs one.

found a oil cooler pretty cheap out of colorado flatirons.com 202.00 plus shipping...

i just want my babe up and running, i hadn't drove it for a mo. and a half. and then to sit in it again was like setting a fire under my ****. and the rumble, oh love that flat four rumble.
Where are you located?
I got tons of ACL bearing sets.

Make sure you replace/thoroughly clean your oil pan.
Are you using SOA sealant?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

im in san jose but im up in sac. on sundays to visit my daughter. ill have the rest of everyhing apart tonight and see which size bearings i need. but shipping from there would be pretty cheap! hopefully my crank isnt to bad i shut it right down. but the damage is already done at that point. hopefully just a resurface. but we'll see maybe i could meet you to pick some up. unless your open sundays. i doubt, how come no shops open on weekends? SOA sealant ?? sounds expensive. i like the black magic.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Use HondaBond...it's cheap & the same stuff.

Quick Reply: new motor error