Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Miss fire and Exhaust questions

Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Miss fire and Exhaust questions

Hey team,

Ive got an interesting situation..

I bought this car with a 3.5 catless APS exhaust system and the APS 65mm intake system installed a few years back (in CA) from a dealer and in efforts to smog recently I ran into some trouble..

I went back to the dealership i bought the car from to pressure them for a stock exhaust system so i could smog, since the APS is catless, and (after a lot of run around) they gave me one.

So i got it all bolted up and i get a CEL for Miss Fire, one for each cylinder..

Right away I changed the spark plugs and MAF sensors, no change. This is when i realized 2 things, the car was tuned (obviously right) AND the 'stock' exhaust i got from the dealer was for a 2.0 liter motor, twin tip. ugh.

Now im looking to buy after market exhaust, like the cobb tbe system, as well as the AP unit. I think that im having back pressure issues, its hard for me to diagnose, i feel, because of my situation with the exhaust being incorrect..

Any ideas as to what i could or should do ? Anyone think its something else ? Timing belt ? Just the tune ? I read about resseting the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery connecter and pumping the break, will this help at all if my exhaust situation is what it is ?

Long story short, i have a 2006 wrx Limited Wagon, a stock exhaust for a 02-05 wrx, AND a 3.5" catless APS exhaust. I have 4 miss fire codes.

Im lookin for advice or suggestions.

Also to sell/trade the exhausts i have for a TBE system and/or a Cobb AP v2.