Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Help!...Is my 05 STi Dead (Video/Audio Clip Included)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 05' STi Aspen White
Help!...Is my 05 STi Dead (Video/Audio Clip Included)?

Last night on my way home from work I began to hear a light ticking noise from the engine area of my 2005 STi, 68k miles.

I have heard this sound once before. The previous time, a few months back, the ticking noise seemed to be caused by low engine oil levels. An oil change seemed to have fixed the problem….Until now.

This time, as soon as I heard the ticking I pulled over at the nearest place I could buy oil (Walmart) and checked the oil levels. Like my previous encounter with this noise, the oil levels were low again. I added a few quarts of oil and headed home with no worsening of the noise. Fast forward to this morning, the oil levels were normal (midway between the gauge on the dipstick) so I headed out to get the rest of the supplies for a complete oil change. 2-3 miles into my drive the ticking sound began to get louder under any type of acceleration. As I stopped for a red light the car felt like it was going to die (idling low and dipping). I made it another block to the auto parts store and shut off the car. After about 10 minutes in the store, I came back outside and decided to check the oil levels again. Still normal, however, this time when I turned on the car the ticking/rattling was much louder (like an M16). I proceed to put the car in gear and limp the few miles home…I never made it. 5 seconds later the car sputtered around the corner and died. In an effort to not further worsen the problem I used AAA and got a tow back to the house. It will start but I don’t want to make things worse….

Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated. What should I do next? Hoping for the best….

Click video to play

Last edited by sacking23; 05-07-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
not dead, just sick. I'm no pro but I think you need your valves adjusted.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Knock, knock?
Who's there?
Knock!
Knock who?
Rod knock, that's who!!

You're looking at a minimum of 4k to properly repair the engine.
BTW, we have three 2.5l shortblocks ready for install...pm for details.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by phlegmon
spun bearing...

I'm sure the initial low oil condition (a few months ago) started the process and the recent episode was the nail in the coffin.

Here's a quick and dirty way to check: drain you oil and look for "gold glitter". Also, remove your oil filter and cut it open. It will probably be full of gold flakes. The flakes are fragments of you spun bearing(s)

A less likely scenario would be the broken oil pick-up. Did your "idiot light" for low pressure come on?

You're definitely looking at a rebuild of the bottom end. Either reuse and build up your current block w/ forged pistons, buy a preassembled built block (RAW is highly recommended), get a used stock block (risky- you don't know how it was treated), or buy a new factory shortblock.

Whatever you do, DON'T REUSE THE OIL COOLER ASSEMBLY FROM THE RUINED BLOCK! BUY A NEW ONE! Many have made this mistake only to have their new block, turbo, or cams get ruined shortly after installation due to the trapped particles meandering out and clogging oil passages. No matter how well you clean it, you're not likely to get ALL of the particles out!

Good luck!

Last edited by sacking23; 05-09-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by sacking23
Originally Posted by phlegmon
spun bearing...

I'm sure the initial low oil condition (a few months ago) started the process and the recent episode was the nail in the coffin.

Here's a quick and dirty way to check: drain you oil and look for "gold glitter". Also, remove your oil filter and cut it open. It will probably be full of gold flakes. The flakes are fragments of you spun bearing(s)

A less likely scenario would be the broken oil pick-up. Did your "idiot light" for low pressure come on?

You're definitely looking at a rebuild of the bottom end. Either reuse and build up your current block w/ forged pistons, buy a preassembled built block (RAW is highly recommended), get a used stock block (risky- you don't know how it was treated), or buy a new factory shortblock.

Whatever you do, DON'T REUSE THE OIL COOLER ASSEMBLY FROM THE RUINED BLOCK! BUY A NEW ONE! Many have made this mistake only to have their new block, turbo, or cams get ruined shortly after installation due to the trapped particles meandering out and clogging oil passages. No matter how well you clean it, you're not likely to get ALL of the particles out!

Good luck!

Good luck!

I drained the oil and didn't notice the "gold glitter" but there was a feint metallic residue mixed with oil on the top of the oil filter when I pulled it out...Looked like black semi metallic paint. I haven't yet cut into the oil filter.

Additionally, could it have anything to do with the spark plugs/wires etc. I have yet to changed spark plugs @ 68k.

Thanks for all the responses.

P.s. Any ideas on the possibility of it being a bad belt tensioner?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
Ohh man, ive heard that from my car before, and just like Paul mentioned it was unfortunately rod knock, knocking at my door.... i hope thats not the case... good luck man!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
dude listen to Paul he is right.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jmac0101
dude listen to Paul he is right.
PM'ed Paul
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Will reply when I get to the shop.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Yep that definitely sounds like rod knock. You have a new shortblock in your future .

-- Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Will reply when I get to the shop.
PM'ed a follow-up question.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
that sucks to hear
build the block up since you're tearing it apart anyways
Old 05-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx impreza sedan
Ohhhhh FA SHOW./.

I hate that sound... I hate the video... I hate rod knock... I did the same thing to my '03 and ever since then everything sounds like rod knock... Make it stop....