Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

car wont go pass 9psi...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
car wont go pass 9psi...

So I disconnected my battery due to my alarm. And when I reconnected and took it out for a drive. I noticed its not going pass 9 psi. Anyone encounter this problem and know how to fix it? I'm on open source tune BTW.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Contact your tuner.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Already shot ED and email. No reply yet....
Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Check the following two things:
1) plumb directly from compressor nipple to wastegate actuator nipple.

If this feels just like it does now, then your boost control system isn't working. There's a hose off somewhere or the boost solenoid is broken... something with the boost control.

2) Pull the nipple off the wastegate actuator. At this point you have no boost control at all, so be very cautious and just do this one test, pull over and put it back on:
bring the car slowly up to ~3500 RPM, slam the gas, THEN PULL YOUR FOOT OFF AS SOON AS YOU PASS 13-15 PSI.

Now pull over and put the hose back on immediately.

That test should have you building boost extremely quickly. It should shoot up to 12+ psi in half a second or so. If not, then you have a leak or restriction or physical wastegate function problem... something mechanical and not something with the boost control system.

The important part of these two tests is that it completely segments mechanical problems from boost control problems. Whatever your actual problem ends up being, these two simple tests will eliminate a huge number of potential problems in about 10 minutes. And it's pretty easy to do these tests too, you don't need to be very mechanically inclined or know much about the function of boost and boost control to do this.

Last edited by Concillian; 06-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by Jimboi
So I disconnected my battery due to my alarm. And when I reconnected and took it out for a drive. I noticed its not going pass 9 psi. Anyone encounter this problem and know how to fix it? I'm on open source tune BTW.

Thanks.
since its not like a Cobb ap..you probably ended up wiping your tune when disconnecting the battery.

Definitely go back to Ed, you are probably gonna have to go in for another tune.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
since its not like a Cobb ap..you probably ended up wiping your tune when disconnecting the battery.

Definitely go back to Ed, you are probably gonna have to go in for another tune.
Wat?
OS tunes don't get wiped when you disconnect the battery.
OS tunes are done in exactly the same way that a Cobb AP tune is... it's written to the flash memory in the ECU through the exact same protocols.

Cobb and open source tuning are functionally equivalent. They have some differences in the features offered, but the fundamental way in which they work is equivalent.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Car Info: his wife crazy
Originally Posted by Concillian
Check the following two things:
1) plumb directly from compressor nipple to wastegate actuator nipple.

If this feels just like it does now, then your boost control system isn't working. There's a hose off somewhere or the boost solenoid is broken... something with the boost control.

2) Pull the nipple off the wastegate actuator. At this point you have no boost control at all, so be very cautious and just do this one test, pull over and put it back on:
bring the car slowly up to ~3500 RPM, slam the gas, THEN PULL YOUR FOOT OFF AS SOON AS YOU PASS 13-15 PSI.

Now pull over and put the hose back on immediately.

That test should have you building boost extremely quickly. It should shoot up to 12+ psi in half a second or so. If not, then you have a leak or restriction or physical wastegate function problem... something mechanical and not something with the boost control system.

The important part of these two tests is that it completely segments mechanical problems from boost control problems. Whatever your actual problem ends up being, these two simple tests will eliminate a huge number of potential problems in about 10 minutes. And it's pretty easy to do these tests too, you don't need to be very mechanically inclined or know much about the function of boost and boost control to do this.
I agree. It sounds like your running mechanical boost pressure. The wastegate spring usually starts to open between 7-9 psi and your BCS controls the actuator using map values. I ran across the same problem tuning my Hydra EMS after installing my 3-port EBCS.

Check all your connections (including the electrical connector) and if you have any way of logging, make sure your wastegate duty values are correct.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM

OK. I did check the connections to the turbo and to ebcs. Everything seems fine. The car was working fine before I disconnected the battery. Now it doesn't even feel the same. Weird. Maybe I have to reflash my map? I will try those two test after I reflash it. I'm also thinking my boost controller could be fried. Idk ...its a possibility right? I also checked the waste gate duty cycle and it looks fine. Nothing change....
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Could it have gone into valet mode?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 PM

Whaa?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Run the two tests I laid out in post #4 to determine if it is a boost control system issue or a mechanical issue.

If resetting the ECU doesn't help, then re-flashing the map won't help either.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM

So I did the second test. Cuhz I wasn't sure on how to do the first test. And it does boost up to 15psi quickly. So I'm guessing the boost solenoid is bad?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Help?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Did you try logging the wastegate duty cycle? If the ECU is requesting the correct wastegate duty cycle but you're not getting boost, its probably the solenoid.

-- Ed
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM

I haven't done any logs yet. I swapped out my boost solenoid to another ebcs. And it feels the same.

Quick Reply: car wont go pass 9psi...