Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

big turbo on a high mileage motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Sti
big turbo on a high mileage motor

hey guys i wanted to throw in a perrin gt30 or gt35 on my 04 sti. i currently have 93k on my motor and i was wondering if it will be safe to throw such a big turbo on. speedelement said it should be okay but i just want to know what you all think.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
speedelement.... I would get a pressure and leak down test, if everything says GOOD, go for it and get a good safe tune from eqtuning.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Car Info: GD
james i can do a compressions test and leakdown test for you if you want.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
You should definately get a leakdown test first but if your numbers come up consistant and not loosing too much pressure then go for it.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Sti
sounds good
Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I would be much more worried about the transmission, a Subaru motor at 93k is just broken in
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by meilers
I would be much more worried about the transmission, a Subaru motor at 93k is just broken in
Eh, I'll have to sort of disagree with you on this one. Its not some bulletproof diesel motor. Its still a 100k EJ257 with a proven track record of having major motor problems. If this car is COMPLETELY stock, not just returned to stock and sold as a stock car (and we all know how many stock STi's there are out there). Was potentially owned by some grandma who drove to LA and back all the time and had all maintenance performed on time, I'd say the motor is just broken in. Reality is someone drove the crap out of it at least part of the time.

Lets put it this way I have 101k on my MY 04 STi and its on its 3rd shortblock. But on the positive side of things, the 6 spd tranny, r180 rear diff, axles, etc. 101k and it still drives like new! And don't think for a minute that I'm bashing Subaru's I love mine to pieces, but I call a spade a spade.

Last edited by SR20steve; 04-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by SR20steve
Eh, I'll have to sort of disagree with you on this one. Its not some bulletproof diesel motor. Its still a 100k EJ257 with a proven track record of having major motor problems. If this car is COMPLETELY stock, not just returned to stock and sold as a stock car (and we all know how many stock STi's there are out there). Was potentially owned by some grandma who drove to LA and back all the time and had all maintenance performed on time, I'd say the motor is just broken in. Reality is someone drove the crap out of it at least part of the time.

Lets put it this way I have 101k on my MY 04 STi and its on its 3rd shortblock. But on the positive side of things, the 6 spd tranny, r180 rear diff, axles, etc. 101k and it still drives like new! And don't think for a minute that I'm bashing Subaru's I love mine to pieces, but I call a spade a spade.
100% correct.

A GT35 is a lot of of power to ask of even a brand new factory motor. If all tests come back good, go for the turbo upgrade, but be prepared to do a motor build in the future as its not going to last forever. Some people get lucky and get a good amount of mileage from a setup like that, but a lot of people will experience engine problems within 6 months to a year. Of course it also depends on how often you drive it hard .

-- Ed
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I would say do the timing belt job at the same time when you do the turbo upgrade. Also have a very conservative tune so that the power is not too crazy and stay in the reliable zone for some time until you can do a built motor.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SR20steve

The original poster made it sound like he is the sole owner; nothing was said about picking up the car used. If he is the sole owner, he would have known about and identified weaknesses in the car long ago, and did not mention any, hence my post. A leakdown test etc. is only relevant if he is already having problems with power loss, cylinder #3 heat, blow-by or some other issue. If the motor is tight with no leaks, no oil in the coolant, no CEL and he's done good maintenance, and he's going to get quality supporting mods, what's the panic about?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by meilers
The original poster made it sound like he is the sole owner; nothing was said about picking up the car used. If he is the sole owner, he would have known about and identified weaknesses in the car long ago, and did not mention any, hence my post. A leakdown test etc. is only relevant if he is already having problems with power loss, cylinder #3 heat, blow-by or some other issue. If the motor is tight with no leaks, no oil in the coolant, no CEL and he's done good maintenance, and he's going to get quality supporting mods, what's the panic about?
Most people with a cracked ringland don't know it until its completely failed. Hell even some people with a completely failed ringland don't know it as the car tends to continue to drive normally. A small crack won't even show up on a compression test most of the time, but it does show up on a leakdown. If there is a small crack developing, upgrading the turbo and pushing more power through it will take it out in no time. There's really no good reason not to do a compression and leakdown test before doing a major upgrade like this IMO.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Point taken, absolutely, but you could also note that stock STI motors fail under stock power and daily driving (which they sometimes do). I agree that extreme stress is going to make hidden problems evident, but the original poster didn't exactly state his goals; daily driver for the next 99k miles, or drag strip until it dies? Personally I think throwing on a big turbo that late in the game is a way of making sure the car goes down fighting... A turbo that big has little or no place on the street, so my impression is that this is drag strip time.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Yep I agree there. If he's aware that the motor's days are numbered with that turbo, that's perfectly fine. I just wouldn't recommend it if he's not planning on building his engine in the relatively near future

-- Ed
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Car Info: Java Black 04' STI
Originally Posted by strider327
I would say do the timing belt job at the same time when you do the turbo upgrade. Also have a very conservative tune so that the power is not too crazy and stay in the reliable zone for some time until you can do a built motor.
^^^ I agree, at least do a timing belt as it is due w/ the 100K service. I have a 04 STI w/86k miles with a Stage2 custom due for the last 35k miles and still going strong. I would actually go with a slightly smaller turbo. You will get better performance for the street and keep your motor longer. Anything more than 350hp to the wheels is a guarantee for a blown (stock) motor, sooner or later. (probably sooner!) If you go with a big turbo and a conservative tune you are wasting it's potential and eventually your motor too. It won't spool quickly and you will lose the low end responsiveness, it may hit hard at the top end, but that's when your motor will go pop! I agree w/Ed @ EQ. Plan on rebuilding your motor. I would find a blown STI motor or Short block for cheap and build it on the side and throw your big turbo on that when your done. Or talk to Ed, I'm sure EQ can help with that. Good Luck!