Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

911 2006 sti help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 Aspen White Subaru wrx STI
hey guys i need all and anyones help with my car. i drive a 2006 sti and i wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of this happening or what. my car has been out of service since dec.4 2012

mods done to my car are: helix catted dp, invidia n1 cbe, walbro fuel pump,
cobb short ram intake and a tune from FLI.

heres how it started. i drove 9.2 miles to see my girlfriend and my car drove fine. it sat for 30 minutes outside and when we left her neighborhood my car started jerking like it was set to 32-3500 rpm and wouldnt go past.
problem im having. my car under load will not go past 3200 rpms. when driving my car in any gear 1st-6th if you press on the gas, it will choke or bogg down or act like it has an rpm limit when under load. if i feather the gas you can take it to redline. my car does not do this in reverse or if it is sitting up on the lift with the wheels off the ground you can drive it as hard as you can up to redline. just from turning my wheel left or right it is too much load for my car, because it dies. it has been with Fine Line Ipmorts for 3 weeks and they seemed to be stumped with the problem.

here is the work FLI has done to my car so far:
-they checked all my belts and hoses.
-checked and fixed parts from fuel pump.
-married and unmarried cobb ap with different tunes and maps(still had the problems with any base map tune)
-replaced oem ECU
-changed spark plugs
-changed MAF sensor
-changed MAP sensor
-swapped coil packs
-compression and leak down test
-fuel pressure and boost pressure tests
-checked continuity of wires going to coil packs
-checked my car and had it on the dyno while running tests
-removed timing covers and checked my timing and timing belt

Only 70,439 miles on car.

im already down a lot of money and my car is still having this problem. i need help because this is my daily driver and im now off disability and need to get back to work. please if anyone can help or point me in a direction it would be very appreciated. so please my fellow subie lovers help me!!

thank you!

Last edited by booSTId13; 02-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

bump.....anyone ever have this or hear about this? i need my dd back please help
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
You don't need two threads for the same issue.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Ouch, how long have you owned this car? These problems are such a pain in the ***, good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
All that and no CEL's?

Did you play with your rev limiter in your dash and accidentally set it to 3200 RPMS?

Loose wires on your TB? Loose/broken wires at your MAF? Clogged fuel filter?

I'd start by listing your CEL's please.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Volkey
You don't need two threads for the same issue.
Well I apologize for being concerned with my car. It sat in the shop for 3 weeks with no results ad this is my last hope before takin it to Subaru. Thanks for your concern about me doing 1 extra thread about my cars problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Ouch, how long have you owned this car? These problems are such a pain in the ***, good luck.
It's comin up to 2 years I bought it with 46k ad thank you I need all the luck I can get.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by grambo
All that and no CEL's?

Did you play with your rev limiter in your dash and accidentally set it to 3200 RPMS?

Loose wires on your TB? Loose/broken wires at your MAF? Clogged fuel filter?

I'd start by listing your CEL's please.
Didn't set or mess with my rev limiter, everything with my MAF checked out. We replaced the ECU because my old one wasn't throwing cel but now my check engine light is on cruise control blinks no abs or dccd lights
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by booSTId13
Didn't set or mess with my rev limiter, everything with my MAF checked out. We replaced the ECU because my old one wasn't throwing cel but now my check engine light is on cruise control blinks no abs or dccd lights
Go get the code read! this will help anyone that is trying to help you out and can eventually lead to the cause!.

Autozone will read the code for free and even give you a print out of what the code means. Best of luck to you in your situation
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by booSTId13

The shop you are taking it to does not know how to use an AP to read CEL's? I'm a little worried for you bud.

Now that you have a new ECU, use your AP to read the CEL's, get on NASIOC and search for two minutes for a list of codes and what they mean, repair the problem.

There is a system to troubleshooting these cars. We all learn it at some point. I used to panic when my CEL came on and my cruise would blink. Now I just roll home and fix the issue. Take it easy man. You'll find it. :]
Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by realjoker1
Go get the code read! this will help anyone that is trying to help you out and can eventually lead to the cause!.

Autozone will read the code for free and even give you a print out of what the code means. Best of luck to you in your situation
Autozone will not read code due to certain laws from my knowledge.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
Prolly a misfire.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by grambo
The shop you are taking it to does not know how to use an AP to read CEL's? I'm a little worried for you bud.

Now that you have a new ECU, use your AP to read the CEL's, get on NASIOC and search for two minutes for a list of codes and what they mean, repair the problem.

There is a system to troubleshooting these cars. We all learn it at some point. I used to panic when my CEL came on and my cruise would blink. Now I just roll home and fix the issue. Take it easy man. You'll find it. :]
I am sure Fine Line Imports has checked the CEL, they are a very good shop. Sometimes cars have gremlins and hard to figure out. Karlton has had issues with his DCCD and not even sure if they ever figured out why or how it happened.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jimboi
Prolly a misfire.
A misfire would show a CEL.

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
I am sure Fine Line Imports has checked the CEL, they are a very good shop. Sometimes cars have gremlins and hard to figure out. Karlton has had issues with his DCCD and not even sure if they ever figured out why or how it happened.

I've read all about Karlton's debacle. It sucks what he's going through.

I was thinking about it on the way home and I had an issue once where the car woild keep acting funny and go into "limp mode" I'd reset the ECU and it would happen again. After about the third reset, the CEL finally showed up and it was a TGV position sensor. Cheap fix but, a headache to find.

This poor dude may be having an intermittent problem like that. Those are hard to find and I wish them all luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM

car is sitting at the dealer as of right now. and so far all 4 cylinders are misfiring. so they are going to start there. i'll let you guys know what the progress is like and i appreciate all the help big time!!!

Quick Reply: 911 2006 sti help