Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

2nd engine, leaking headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Question 2nd engine, leaking headgasket

Hi guys, I just got an 2007 STi in August.
To summarize, the original owner raced it and blew the first engine, got it repaired at a Subaru dealer under warranty. When I bought it, it is on the second engine with about 13k on that engine. Long story short, I've had to take it in to repair a bunch of small stuff, which i'm fine with and its been fixed.

So my mechanic of 10 years tells me that the last 5 times it was in the shop for something or another, that it looks like the head gasket is leaking.

I take it to the Subaru dealer and they have it for 4 days (looked it for half a day) and tell me they do not see a leak and will not perform warranty work unless they see it leaking. I left it dirty so that they could see it was obviously leaking. They simply wiped it off and told me they didnt see a leak.

I put it up on the lift the next week and took pictures. you can see its discolored (oil) that has been wiped off on both sides.

This should be enough 'proof' to warrant warranty work right?

Am I in the wrong here?

check out these pics!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Ok here's the update......got it back a few days ago. Turns out there was a bad turbo and the pvc pipe was busted. They said they had taken apart the engine as well and replaced gaskets.....but all the part numbers on the receipt indicate turbo related gaskets.
i'm no car expert....so i hope they did what they said they did....

it runs nicely now...more smooth and seems to have a little more speed....

i do hear a strange saw type sound now in 3rd gear about 30 or 40 mph.......every once in a while...and a strange little pop....like the sound of tuperware or bowls rattling...i'm going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow and put it on the lift to check it out and he said he'd be able to tell what was done......

but overall, definitely an improvement.