Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

2007 WRX Turbo Acting Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX waggin'
2007 WRX Turbo Acting Up

Hey all, I have a 2007 wrx hatch with Cobb stage 2 tune, intake and muffler. Has stock cat/midpipe for smog.

My wagon started acting up while I was driving home on the freeway. Was fine when I drove it on the street, parked it and got Quickly (don't judge), got on the freeway and was fine for 10 miles. When I went to pass someone, stepped on the throttle expecting boost and turbo fell on its face.

Feels as though the turbo is being being starved of something (air? oil?). Examined vac pump for turbo, seems to be working fine. Removed oil feed banjo to check screen, and screen is not present. Removed intercooler, and it doesn't seem to be obstructed. Removed air filter, cleaning tonight and we'll see if it makes a difference.

Not sure what could be causing this, any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Hmmm,
did you monitor boost levels while trying to pass? you said it "fell flat on its face". Did it make any strange noises while trying to hit peak boost? Did it make a "lack of noise" while trying to hit boost (e.g. perhaps turbo frozen)?

did you flash back to stock map yet? saw you said you had the stock cat/midpipe for smog, but you didn't mention using the stock map. that's not good AFAIK. maybe it freaked out the ECU? try flashing to stock map and try again?

also wondering if your cat broke into pieces and is causing an exhaust obstruction?

check some stuff out and report back...
Old 11-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX waggin'
Originally Posted by CHESTON
Hmmm,
did you monitor boost levels while trying to pass? you said it "fell flat on its face". Did it make any strange noises while trying to hit peak boost? Did it make a "lack of noise" while trying to hit boost (e.g. perhaps turbo frozen)?

did you flash back to stock map yet? saw you said you had the stock cat/midpipe for smog, but you didn't mention using the stock map. that's not good AFAIK. maybe it freaked out the ECU? try flashing to stock map and try again?

also wondering if your cat broke into pieces and is causing an exhaust obstruction?

check some stuff out and report back...
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have my computer hooked up when I was driving it and turbo failed so I don't know how much I was getting. No noises that I noticed, just hesitation like I needed to downshift, but I was running 3k rpms so boost should've hit fine. Turbo is spinning, but not building pressure all the time. Maybe it's on it's way to seizing?

Have been running the car with this map/midpipe combo for 2000 miles without any issues, but good call on reflashing.

Cat breaking into pieces and clogging exhaust is a major worry; I read about this a couple places on the web while doing initial research on my issue. It is terrifying that this is a known thing that happens to our cars. Will be taking the midpipe off tomorrow to inspect.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by subarae
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have my computer hooked up when I was driving it and turbo failed so I don't know how much I was getting. No noises that I noticed, just hesitation like I needed to downshift, but I was running 3k rpms so boost should've hit fine. Turbo is spinning, but not building pressure all the time. Maybe it's on it's way to seizing?

Have been running the car with this map/midpipe combo for 2000 miles without any issues, but good call on reflashing.

Cat breaking into pieces and clogging exhaust is a major worry; I read about this a couple places on the web while doing initial research on my issue. It is terrifying that this is a known thing that happens to our cars. Will be taking the midpipe off tomorrow to inspect.
cobb stage 2 tune with stock cat and mid pipe doesn't sound like a good idea.. is the down pipe 3" aftermarket? And you said you've been only running that setup for 2,000 miles, have you been boosting before 2,000 miles? Could be your waste gate, boost leak, or really your turbo trying exhale a lot of exhaust through a restricted airflow from your cat and stock 2.5" mid pipe. Cobb stage 2 means that the downpipe is less restrictive due to a wider 3" piping more airflow and with that tune amount of air goin in and out is precisely calculated, a change of number could be catastrophic. I also what I'm saying is a theory, not entirely sure lol but hope it gives you somewhat of an idea.