Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Will stock BPV fit on BOV FMIC mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Car Info: WRB WRX '04
Will stock BPV fit on BOV FMIC mount?

I wasn't getting the answer I wanted in my other thread so maybe a new title will help people understand. Here's what I'm wondering.

1: Will the stock BPV mount where my current BOV mounts on the FMIC pipe just before going in to the intake manifold?

2: Where do I have to run hoses for the stock BPV?

I don't know much about mods for Subarus yet, but I really don't know how a stock BPV hooks up because I got this car with this BOV on it and I want to remove it because I've been noticing some drop in idle speed to the point where it sounds/feels like the engine will stall. I've done some searching around on here and found that the BOV could be part of if not the entire problem with the idle and I want it off. I have a Turbo XS BOV right now and would like to put a stock BPV on. Does anyone know if I will be able to just take the Turbo XS off and pop the stock BPV on where the Turbo XS was mounted? Thanks for any help.

- ImageX
Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2005 Forester 2.5X
It will depend on which mount you have. Most FMIC pipes don't have the same mount as the stock style. If not then it won't fit. If you do have the same mount you'll be able to bolt it right up. As for piping, just like any recirculating type valve, you will run the large line back into the inlet pipe pre turbo.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank you for some useful feedback. So if the stock bpv doesn't mount the same way, I'll have to get new IC piping? Thanks also for the general hookup info for the stock.

- ImageX
Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM

I just went and looked and I can see that a hose is already connected to the inlet pipe before the turbo and on the other end close to the BOV it is plugged. So if I can find a cheap BPV that will mount the same way, I think it will be an easy install. Does anyone have info on any BPVs that mount on a tube coming off of the IC pipe instead of mounting like a bracket? Thanks again.

- ImageX
Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Sorry for the chain posts but I would like some input. I found a BPV/BOV I think will fix the issue and mount how I need to mount it. Please let me know if you think this will work. I realize that at a certain pressure this BPV/BOV does vent to the atmosphere but I was reading and it says it solves the "erratic idle issue and rich conditions especially during shifting" because it only vents to atmosphere when there is enough pressure to push the piston all the way back to the open vent. Otherwise under normal and less pressure conditions, it recirc's back to the engine. Please someone provide some insight on this soon for me because I really don't like driving with this BOV I have anymore.

- ImageX
Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
GFB 50/50 bovs are what you might be looking for. but like its been said before, it depends on your front mount. Most FMIC that i know, including mine, have a place that you would need the bracket to mount on for the bpv/bov to fit. I have the Injen phantom fm and it barely fits for the stock bpv to connect.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM
dc5

Car Info: 04 Aspen White WRX
Originally Posted by kusogaki
GFB 50/50 bovs are what you might be looking for. but like its been said before, it depends on your front mount. Most FMIC that i know, including mine, have a place that you would need the bracket to mount on for the bpv/bov to fit. I have the Injen phantom fm and it barely fits for the stock bpv to connect.

So does the stock BPV fit well enough to not leak? Been thinking about going with the Injen phantom but don't want to run a BOV. A pic would be great if you have one.

And yes I realize the thread is almost 5 years old.

Last edited by dc5; 04-06-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
They do make adapters for the stock BPV to fit on a FMIC setup.