Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Will catless uppipe pass smog inspection? (was: Smog Question?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Smog Question?

Hey guys,
I once again need your expertise. I will be smogging my car tomorrow and I need to know if my 02 WRX with a catless uppipe will pass the smog test. I also have an catless downpipe but I am obviously swapping that as well as reverting the Accesport from a stage 2 map to stock. I understand if I have the catless uppipe on the car when smogging that it is kind of hit or miss situation and it may not need to be swapped with the uppipe from the factory. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:33 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
You haven't filled out your Location field in your member Profile but in California it is illegal to remove any of the factory catalytic converters, even for high-flow models. How they determine tampering is by visual inspection. The tech may or may not see the uppipe swap, especially if you retained the heat shield (which you should, if at all possible).

Other members can tell you if they passed with a catless uppipe but it won't tell you if you will pass the visual or not. Best bet is to make your engine appear as stock as possible. Things like bright-colored intercooler hoses, a BOV, and other bling may cause some techs to look harder for other mods.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-10-2006, 07:32 AM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
The visual shouldn't be a problem because my buddies own a smog test shop and know what I have done to the car, I'm just trying minimize the amount of work I have to do before I smog my car. I live in California but I don't have to smog any of my cars because I live in Mendocino County, right outside Sonoma county in Nor Cal. The only reason I have to smog my car is that I'm selling it(to buy an STi) and the bank needs a smog certificate.