Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Weird noise after installing downpipe - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
Weird noise after installing downpipe - Help!

Hi everyone!

I just installed a catless downpipe & flashed to stage 2 w/ my AP and a weird noise surfaced. Here's what I posted on Saab92x.com to get some help for diagnosing. Let me know if you have any other insights!! - Thanks

Sounds like an angry animal squeeling at me from like right in front of me when accelerating - even under normal acceleration. The sound seems to come in around 2k or so and doesn't seem to let up through the rev range.

Here's a low-down on what I did today:

Installed catless downpipe (used OEM gasket for the downpipe to turbo - didn't have a gasket for the downpipe to catback - I will be taking it to an exhaust shop on Monday for them to make the catback 3" since currently it tapers to 2.5" and the downpipe is full 3")
Removed & put back intercooler to gain access to downpipe/heat shield bolts (from what I could tell while re-installing, all my hoses seem snug)
Installed a new panel air filter cuz mine was getting old (pretty standard...)
flashed to stage 2 using my V1 AP
Went for a drive
Was horrified from noise ...

Here's a video of the noise in which I accelerate through 3rd & 4th - then bring it back to 3rd for a quick acceleration again to show that the sound seems to be dependent on how much throttle I'm giving it. When we got back from test driving - I revved in neutral and the sound did not occur - so it's only happening under load.

EDIT: Posted the video to youtube since it wasn't working previously.
Here's a pic of the stock downpipe/midpipe and the Maddad V1 catless downpipe I just installed. The thing that looks like a heatshield on my new downpipe is actually nothing - the pipe stays the same size there. Maybe to fool someone doing a half-assed visual inspection?
Name:  photo10_zpsa87a0787.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  100.5 KB
Thoughts I have for the noise:
- We weren't able to remove the turbo->intercooler hose from the turbo cuz it was on their pretty damn tight - so we opted to get underneath the car & remove the 4 bolts that hold the 2 hose inlets to the intercooler - so that hose stayed on the turbo. ... maybe we bent that hose and broke it somewhere that I didn't see? - dont think this would happen since the stock hose is a hard plastic vs. a more flexible hose which would be prone to that
- Maybe a lose hose connection to the intercooler/turbo/throttle body?
- Just a sound from the exhaust leak from not installing a gasket yet between the catback and downpipe? Sounds a bit too agressive to be this...
- I messed a hose up in the intake installing the new panel filter? How do you mess up something so easy? ha.

Please and thank you! -Ian

Last edited by Saabaru916; 03-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
I've never heard an exhaust leak sound that way. They usually make a rapid tapping noise. I would check your intercooler hoses. Also the downpipe can come off without ever removing the intercooler.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Sounds like a boost leak check all the couplers and maybe your inlet too. Might have broken it during the install.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ddavis
I've never heard an exhaust leak sound that way. They usually make a rapid tapping noise. I would check your intercooler hoses. Also the downpipe can come off without ever removing the intercooler.
Ya, I was following an install on ScoobyMods that removed it - and I thought that made sense to gain easier access to the downpipe bolts that are closer in that neck of the woods. Maybe that was a mistake for me to do though

Originally Posted by Heedz
Sounds like a boost leak check all the couplers and maybe your inlet too. Might have broken it during the install.
Originally Posted by norcalbro
Yup. Sounds like boost leak. Remove and reinstall your tmic. See if that helps
Thanks for the responses. I'll check the fitment of the intercooler hoses first to see if there's anything obvious - and if not will resort to removing & reinstalling.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Yup. Sounds like boost leak. Remove and reinstall your tmic. See if that helps
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Mine sounded just like that a couple months ago after the dealer did the "cold weather recall" on the fuel lines under the intake manifold.

They ripped the turbo inlet. I bet you have a rip/tear in the inlet.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Successfully diagnosed! So I think at least.

There was a boost leak from the driver side y-pipe connection to the intercooler. When I removed the intercooler, the y-pipe was putting up a serious fight coming off of the turbo outlet, so I opted to take the intercooler off & replace it by getting underneath the car and undoing the y-pipe from the intercooler w/ those 4 bolts. When I was re-installing, the bolt closest to the driver side (shown in the picture below w/ the gaping gap) must have been mis-threaded. It felt snug and I didn't give it a second look over once I had installed since the other 3 went on fine.

So ... removed the intercooler and was able to convinve the y-pipe to come loose as well. The leak blew out the y-pipe to intercooler gasket so I will buy that from Subaru tomorrow & install tomorrow night. Hopefully this next test drive after replacing that gasket will be successful.
Name:  photo1_zps798c0a75.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  32.3 KB
Name:  photo2_zps4976702a.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  79.6 KB
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Looks like that would leak quite a lot!!!