Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Next Step (first powerplant step?)

Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Next Step (first powerplant step?)

I have been sitting with my current mods for some time now, just wanted to get some input as to what I should do next. Currently I have a turboback done (3"), mbc, sti struts/springs, cai, ttimer, alum cntrl arms. Those are the only things currently done, so its pretty much stock

Ultimate goal is a long way off, when I have more time I would like to build up a boxer from short block up, when I have the knowledge and time required. So this car will be around for a while.

I am asking because I am a bit overwhelmed, I assume that I should not touch ECU upgrades until I have more of the base mods done. I assume that throwing injectors/rails/pump/etc at the fuel delivery system would not do me much good now. (If these assumptions are wrong just smack me) I was stabbing at headers and up-pipe to complete the exhaust system. I don't currently have the money for a turbo upgrade, and that's probably not needed atm anayways.

Those of you who are modding the car long term, what would be your next move? I assume it would be something powerplant related, but I am just not sure what I should start with. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 AM

Sorry, meant to include that. I would like a car to mechanically fool with, as I do enjoy time working on the car (and of course testing out that work afterwards). This is the first car that I am actually trying to learn inside and out, so there is a big curve ahead, but that is also fun to me. The only thing that concerns me is screwing something up so bad that it causes irrepairable damage, so I do go slow.

That being said, what is something that I should, and can, sink my teeth into engine wise on this car to get my feet wet? I guess that's the real question that I am trying to ask. I am generally a very technical person, and I am mechanically inclined, though cars are nowhere near my specialty.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
I would go with the uppipe next. Hold off on the headers until you do a turbo upgrade b/c you won't see a lot of hp gain and it will be LOUD! If you want to upgrade your fuel system you should have some sort of engine management so that you aren't running too rich.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Ok, that sounds like a plan. Let me go one step further, let's assume that I do the uppipe, what would your next logical step be.