Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Kinugawa Wastegate Actuators, Dual Port IWGs, and 4-Port Solenoids

Old 08-14-2014, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Kinugawa Wastegate Actuators, Dual Port IWGs, and 4-Port Solenoids

Can Kinugawa's IWG acutators be configured for dual port operation? That is, both sides of the diaphragm capable of holding vacuum/pressure?

I sent an email to Kinugawa about this, figured I'd ask here too in case anyone knew in the meantime.

Notes:

1) K's receptionist said she didn't do any of the tech stuff, and there wasn't anyone present to answer those sorts of questions.

2) If it matters, I'm looking at an IWG actuator for a VF37, as seen here.

3) I'm wondering about K's actuators being capable of dual ports b/c they look like the ones that Full Race has, which can be run as duals. Called them up, said they buy them direct from Borg Warner.

4) I'm interested in dual port IWG actuators as a stepping stone towards full, dual EWGs (twin scroll yo). I want plumbed dumps, not exactly cheap, so as said this is an interim solution.

5) Also interested in the potential gains of using a 4-port solenoid. Doesn't seem too common anywhere, but if anyone has personal experience, I'd be interested.

5a) Potential gains of a 4-port are said to be wide boost range (5-40PSI), precise control, very fast spool, and very light wastegate spring pressure for quick reponse. I've read people using 3-5 pound springs, no issues.

5b) Potential losses are that boost curves can be non-linear, and it is a more complicated setup.

5c) See here and here for more background on 4-ports. Note that Perrin makes use of two 3-ports to achieve the same effect as one 4-port; differences seem to be negligable so far as I read.

Last edited by de_engineered; 08-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Ok, Kinugawa got back to me, and negative on their actuators being dual port. Alright, because the Full Race ones are. If I go this route, I'll have to fab up a different actuator arm (the BW ones are a straight rod, no bend), but I'll cross that bridge when come to it.

Questions still standing:

...-Dual port IWG actuators?
...-4-port boost solenoids?

I reckon I'll look up on configuring/tuning these BW turbos that come with dual ports, and hang out on RomRaider etc. more to swoop some 4-port info. I'll come back here when I have more data...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

I've started some research on pneumatic control systems in the meantime, just ebooks and probably some YouTube tutorials. Even if I don't find some superior implementation of wastegate control, I think I'll have a better appreciation for the arrangement itself. But yeah... I am looking for that much better a scheme haha.

Cursory reading...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Name:  com_air_zps4b96b209.png
Views: 465
Size:  405.6 KB

Might be a dry to some, but I find these tech docs pretty interesting reading. Neat to step backwards from the applied to the theory.

Herein we have an outline of the advantages of compressed air as lifted from the PDF I linked in the post above - most of these are applicable to the relatively hazardous environment of a car's engine bay.

Hashy-taggy-science yo.