Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Engine Knock, confused as where to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Engine Knock, confused as where to start

I recently went stage 2 on my Cobb Accessport with a catless invidia DP and a grimmspeed uppipe. Hitting peak boost of 14.52 psi. Inconsistently, I am getting learned feedback knock correction, and feedback knock correction more rarely. At first the feedback knock hit 4.7 but now it doesn't get up to 3. The learned is about 2.7 max. I thought it was bad gas from arco, but I filled up with 91 from chevron and kept getting knock reads. The reads were not as bad with the Chevron gas actually, it seems, but they are still popping up. I noticed recently the last two cold starts there was a weird sound, maybe metallic, possibly a bearing. It's not too loud. Knocking has never been audible when driving. Though turbo spool is loud with a catless downpipe, maybe masking the sounds. When the car is warm the sound is gone. Don't know if it is related or not but it started happening a few days after I noticed the knock readings. Is something wrong with my engine? Do I just need the correct tune? I am at ~106k miles. No other power mods besides exhaust.

thanks for your time...I'm new to engine maintenance.