Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Intercooler Sprayer Idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM

Intercooler Sprayer Idea

Would it be possible to just disconnect your windsheild washer lines and reatach them to some sprayer nozzles and mount them on the intercooler? Then maybe re-wire somethings to reposition the switch.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
i don't see why not
Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
i did it on my jetta.....i just taped the lines with a three way and had a third line run from the tap to the intercooler and spray......what i did is i filled the windshiel wiper container with water and i taped another part of the line so when i used the sprayer it wouldnt spray my window......the thing i didnt like is that sometimes i would go to clean my windows and i would spray my intercooler so i would have to stop the car, pop the hood, get out and switch the lines=gay anyway dont disconect the windshield wiper lines, just run another one if you really want too......it cost like 2 bucks for the lines and the other parts are like 10 cents each @ a home depot
Old 05-16-2005, 09:06 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Just drive around with a bucket full of water balloons and whenever you get the notion of getting the intercooler wet throw one on the hood. The wind blows the water back into the scoop and there you have it.........wet intercooler. Just an idea.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Car Info: o4 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Just drive around with a bucket full of water balloons and whenever you get the notion of getting the intercooler wet throw one on the hood. The wind blows the water back into the scoop and there you have it.........wet intercooler. Just an idea.
best idea evar.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:38 AM

I'm telling you.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Wink just bling

hummm I thought about the same idea for my wagon.... but when you think about it, to put the water tank for the ic sprayer in a hot engine bay = hot water sprayed on your ic.... not much good for cooling but muchos bling factor ... but bling can be good.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by subabu05
hummm I thought about the same idea for my wagon.... but when you think about it, to put the water tank for the ic sprayer in a hot engine bay = hot water sprayed on your ic.... not much good for cooling but muchos bling factor ... but bling can be good.
I've got a nagging suspicious that they put the tank in the trunk (for the STi) for a reason. Just a thought though.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Car Info: silver '02 wrx
i've been giving this a lot of thought myself. the temp diff between the trunk water and under the hood water would be measurable but i don't think the water in the windshield tank would be so hot as to be ineffective. from what i understand, one of the biggest reasons the tank is in the trunk is space concerns and better weight distribution. from what i've heard it's a fairly large tank that would be hard to stick under the hood anywhere.

as far as keeping the windshield sprayers effective a simple $.99 aquarium three way valve with a diverter would do the trick. if you wanted to get really tricky you could probably run the valve into the cabin so it could be swapped on the fly though that seems a little bit much.

i think i'm going to try and set this up this weekend. my next autocross is at the end of the month and it would be great to have this up and running by then...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Car Info: silver '02 wrx
although, i really like the water balloon idea...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Smile keep us in the loop

Originally Posted by erip
i've been giving this a lot of thought myself. the temp diff between the trunk water and under the hood water would be measurable but i don't think the water in the windshield tank would be so hot as to be ineffective. from what i understand, one of the biggest reasons the tank is in the trunk is space concerns and better weight distribution. from what i've heard it's a fairly large tank that would be hard to stick under the hood anywhere.

as far as keeping the windshield sprayers effective a simple $.99 aquarium three way valve with a diverter would do the trick. if you wanted to get really tricky you could probably run the valve into the cabin so it could be swapped on the fly though that seems a little bit much.

i think i'm going to try and set this up this weekend. my next autocross is at the end of the month and it would be great to have this up and running by then...

If you do end up installing the ic sprayer, lmk how it works out, and if it's actually effective. Wish you luck at the autocross!

Ben
Old 05-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3642
Old 05-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
I doubt you will see any increase of power doing this as well.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
It's the water evaporating from the IC that cools it not the initial temp of the water. It needs to be a light fine mist.

--------------------
WHY adding ice is not worth the effort

The specific heat of water is 1 calorie or 4.184 joules absorbed to HEAT 1gram of water by 1degC

The latent heat of water is 540 calories or 2260 joules absorbed to EVAPORATE 1gram of water.

In other words the heat absorbed by water is negligible (in massive volume sense NO evaporation) BUT when it is evaporated the benefits are huge.

around 5 to 10 times greater

Misting of water is important but not at the expense of reduced volume!

Being GENEROUS, the use of ice water in an I/c spray reduces spray temperature from PERHAPS 34degC to 4degC. This gives an absorption benefit of 30 calories or 125 joules per gram of water. Sounds impressive? Not REALLY.

This is a gain of less than 5% on the 606 calories (540 + 66) absorbed by 1gram of water at 34degC.

Brett Middleton
MRT performance
---------------------------

Last edited by Peaty; 05-22-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Sprayer Idea