Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

The cold air intake debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
Smile

Hey don't forget about me!

I'll be their with my rex. Hope to see some of you.

link:
http://www.subiefest.com/
Old 09-17-2006, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by NW OBS
Jakes02/Legacy Nut 13 Either of you planning to attend 'Subiefest' on November 18th in Seattle? I want to head up there a meet some of the members and their rides...
holy smokes subiefest, I'm going. I better have the new car by then
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by I am imprezed
Hey don't forget about me!

I'll be their with my rex. Hope to see some of you.

link:
http://www.subiefest.com/
Good then we can trade taillights if I get the '06. If you say no I'll have to steal 'em from you in the parking lot.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 00 Legacy GT Wgn
Question MAF vs MAP difference

Mass Air Flow sensor right?
What is a MAP
What's the difference.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 00 Legacy GT Wgn
God Bless Wikapedia

figured out MAP
Manifold Absolute pressure

Some of the information there might help some posting in this thread.
It certainly cleared up any questions I had about CAI on a NA car.

Apparently, correct me if I am wrong, a MAP takes an acurate reading of the air density and velocity regardless of what type of intake you are using then relays that info to the ECU which in turn supplies the correct amount of fuel to the throttle body.

So as far as i can tell, I won't be needing an ECU update unless they make one that addresses timing or other management issues.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
Originally Posted by Jakes02
Good then we can trade taillights if I get the '06. If you say no I'll have to steal 'em from you in the parking lot.
Uh oh.

Got's to look out for teh sneaky ninjas.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Bob

I recently purchased a 2002 WRX that had a short INJEN intake installed and also a CEL that indicated a "lean" running condition. I had the stock airbox with a "snorklectomy" put back on and that solved the CEL. I have been told that the stock airbox does a great job of pulling in colder air.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
I've had the Injen CAI on mine since it was tuned at 1,000 miles. I had them test it with only the intake at first and some slight tuning. 10 whp, no joke. I can tell you that I've run with some pretty quick Subarus and Evos at the track and they usually comment at how quick my car is compared to theirs. (with very similar mods and stock intake)

I can't tell you how good the car feels, especially at night with cold air hitting that intake.

I even had a rep call me about driving the car in snow and me worrying about it hitting the intake....no problems at all....and Injen was very helpful.

Injen does their research and the even the sound it makes at full throttle is worth every penny.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally Posted by AMTEXX
I've had the Injen CAI on mine since it was tuned at 1,000 miles. I had them test it with only the intake at first and some slight tuning. 10 whp, no joke. I can tell you that I've run with some pretty quick Subarus and Evos at the track and they usually comment at how quick my car is compared to theirs. (with very similar mods and stock intake)
You can get the same effect with a drop-in filter and ditching the resonator for a velocity stack.Increases the airbox inlet to 3".Plus the Injen metal intake will heatsoak regardless of where the filters at.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I have my spt short ram didnt notice hp increase but it kept me from buying a BOV. got the woosh and sounds great with the spt exhaust. Alot of people buy CAI for more air flow as well as cooler air. side from the cooler air part i dont believe that it needs to draw more air. seeing as that a turbo is basically an air compressor (correct me if i am wrong) there is no need to draw in more air. cooler air is always good though
Old 06-13-2008, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
"Drawing more air" is most certainly beneficial when attempting to increase max power output of any given engine.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by Kevin M
"Drawing more air" is most certainly beneficial when attempting to increase max power output of any given engine.
yes i agreee but will you really draw more air with a turbo behind it. the turbo charger acts as a air compressor for the engine i domnt think it would see a volume difference but a temp difference on the MAF sure. for naturally aspirated engines i can see the advantage because of all of the crazy turns and loops the stock intakes have but for a turbo engine with basically a stock short ram how much more air would you draw realistically?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM

I know there are a thousand things out there about this... but I just wanted some direct feedback - I just got an Injen CAI and noticed a better throttle response, awesome sound, and a small accel boost.

But will it jack up my car vs. the stock intake? I am nervous that I will get a bunch of water in it or something... Is it worth just getting the K&N filter for the stock intake?

(I have a 2002 WRX)

Last edited by rassy; 06-27-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I forgot to list the model
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
^^ Did you read nothing earlier?? ^^

Sell it unless you plan to pay for a tune in the near future. Stock airbox= good to 400HP.

If you like sound...remove snorkus.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally Posted by matthepcat
^^ Did you read nothing earlier?? ^^

Sell it unless you plan to pay for a tune in the near future. Stock airbox= good to 400HP.

If you like sound...remove snorkus.
....4 months late to the party. I thought this thread was dead.

Quick Reply: The cold air intake debate