Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

The cold air intake debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I can make a Tornado give you 10 horsepower on the dyno. Dyno sheets aren't always gospel.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 07' STi
Look guys I dont know about the rest of you running CAI but I picked up some mid and top end and about 1pis on the boost with the ingen set up, my powerplant is basically stock
Old 11-09-2004, 01:18 PM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
So...

Did Dorrington ever get himself a WRX?...
Old 11-14-2004, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 04 black wrx
Question

i have a question for everyone. if cai dont do jack crap how come it leaned out my engine(and im not the only one saying this) and cause it to knock(after installing upipe, together w/ DP and catback). after i took it off, my car was fine. so, i think it's fair to say that cai does take in extra air. the only explanation i can think of is that the stock ecu setting couldnt cope w/ all the extra air(knocking,no noticable performance gain). if im right, then it is fair to say cai only works w/ a tuned ecu. if im wrong, please enlighten me
Old 11-15-2004, 01:10 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by imprezilization
i have a question for everyone. if cai dont do jack crap how come it leaned out my engine(and im not the only one saying this) and cause it to knock(after installing upipe, together w/ DP and catback). after i took it off, my car was fine. so, i think it's fair to say that cai does take in extra air. the only explanation i can think of is that the stock ecu setting couldnt cope w/ all the extra air(knocking,no noticable performance gain). if im right, then it is fair to say cai only works w/ a tuned ecu. if im wrong, please enlighten me
Unfortunately, your reasoning, although it may appear logical, is wrong in principle. The point is the CAI does not have any positive effect on performance. Knocking and uncontrolled mixture leaning are negative effects. The trouble is your reasoning is a bit backward. Leaner mixture is not due to more air in the system but rather to less fuel being supplied by the ECU. You see, most aftermarket CAIs are not properly designed and do not work with the stock air metering system. They are just not calibrated and cause false readings to be sent to the ECU. In reality the air metering system sees less air, the ECU thinks its running too rich for that amount of air and as a result, the ECU supplies less fuel and that causes the car to run lean. A CAI does not supply any more air into the system. The stock air box provides more than sufficient volume of air. The air box is not the biggest restriction even on moderately modified cars. Hope that helps!

Maniac

Last edited by Maniac; 11-15-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Or just spend that money toward something that will just have a positve effect,like an I.C. hose kit or a swaybar upgrade.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 PM

Basically after reading over Bansuvs posts i want to put back my stocker, CAI=waste of time and money
Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 PM

so would it be better to just drop in a K&N filter and call it a day or what
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 AM

The STi paper filter is a good alternative, but they are spendy.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Aww man I just bought a cold air intake yesterday

Of course I have good reason
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by pbchief2
Aww man I just bought a cold air intake yesterday

Of course I have good reason
Hush you.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Since I just made a random post, let me clarify when it is okay to buy a cai. There are companies that made cai's that will work properly with the maf sensor and times when buying one makes sense(such as when your fmic does'nt fit with the stock intake) but for what you pay for one, even when you need it thier not worth the money.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I have an idea. Why don't you leave the CAI on for an extended period of time and report in periodically about how your car's doing. I think that'll settle the issue nicely, no?
reporting back as promised. Still no issues to report while running with the AEM CAI. I have continued researching and getting criticized and being told to take it off. However, I have still yet to get any real factual answers as to WHY. Recently, I've been told that it may lead to "slight lean conditions" which would not trigger a CEL or cause driveability issues but is "slowly killing my engine".

I was told that people have popped their pistons, fried rings, etc from running with a CAI even though they didn't get CELs or symptoms. I would love to hear a real life account of something like this because from what I've learned about engine management it seems like it would take a seriously poorly designed system to allow something like this too happen.

Furthermore, I've read several accounts of people getting horrible gas mileage which is alleviated by removing their CAI. This to me makes perfect sense because if the tubing is incorrectly shaped and causes erroneous readings from the MAF (computer thinks there's more air than there is) then the computer compensates by dumping extra fuel into the chamber. I'm pretty sure most systems are engineered with a "rich is better than lean" approach.

I'm still waiting for some real info instead of people just repeating what they've heard from the beginning of time. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem because I think there very well could be - but I'm not one to say oh all these guys say pull it off and just do it - I'm one to ask WHY.

Anyways, I am working on yanking it anyways because I don't want to hydrolock my engine after failing to notice a big puddle
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by LeadFoot77
I was told that people have popped their pistons, fried rings, etc from running with a CAI even though they didn't get CELs or symptoms. I would love to hear a real life account of something like this because from what I've learned about engine management it seems like it would take a seriously poorly designed system to allow something like this too happen.
What you are missing, and many people do, is the Death Combo is a CAI plus and MBC. When you combine the leaning nature of a CAI plus the PTFB from using a MBC w/o fuel compenssation, your car is very prone to go kaboom.

I'm still waiting for some real info instead of people just repeating what they've heard from the beginning of time.
There are many first hand accounts on I-Club and NASIOC. If you read the engine and engine management forums regularly you will see them.

Just having a CAI may not cause kaboom,because really, an non-compensated PTFB is far more dangerous IMO. CAIs are not really terrible. But chances are you will run a little leaner without any benefit, and possibly with detriment, and certainly with a waste of money.

Why not just save the money and get something that will actually increase performce and do it in a proven safe manner?

jason

Quick Reply: The cold air intake debate