Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Blown JDM turbo

Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
Blown JDM turbo

So I was driving home yesterday from Danville and car was driving fine. Then by the time I was near Walnut Creek area I noticed a little hesitation and some whining.....car didnt sound right when accellerating. I didnt think too much about it as it could have been a boost leak of some kind.....so I just went easy on the gas and did what I could to stay out of boost. By the time I was in Fairfield, I could hear metal banging around, clinking clanking, etc - sounded like the turbine was bouncing around inside the turbo housing...I couldnt feel the turbo assisting with power or anything, and no boost was being built. Well - after popping the hood and hearing the noises coming from my engine bay, I have no doubt the turbo is blown (just need time to uninstall it to confirm).

I watched a vid or two on YouTube and confirmed the sounds I hear are because of a blown turbo. I limped home from Fairfield and the engine runs fine, no power band, but will accellerate slowly. I dont want to drive it this way.

The car - USDM MY03 wrx with a swapped in JDM Ej207 v7 STI motor. I have the stock vf30 on the motor and have a EWG setup (vent to atmosphere) with grimmspeed uppipe and catless downpipe and fuel pump - tuned by Ed in Fairfield . Stock everything else (stock as in everything that came on the jdm motor - injectors, sti intercooler, etc).

My main question is now that I need to shop for a replacement turbo, which route should I take? This is a daily driver, no auto x or drag racing - just spirited driving from time to time. Since funds are extremely tight, I am not looking to go huge, and will have to wait to get the new tune for the new turbo, so what turbo is a good replacement/slight upgrade that will allow me to actually drive the car without changing my current tune, and also not damage anything? I know I will not see the full performance from the turbo unless I get a tune, but I cannot go without my car either.

I also know a vf30 (single scroll) is the obvious replacement since that is the stock turbo for this motor, however they seem to be a bit pricey and out of my range - with very limited supply.

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions. If you need me to give more info, just let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by wrecker83; 09-11-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
Wondering which turbo would be best bang for buck, and work well with the EWG setup.