Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Eqtuning set mine up and there was alot of back and fourth before I made the decision to go ahead with the hybrid. Ed's great to talk to and does a good job explaining and breaking down everything your getting.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Just to make a point: spun bearings are usually accompanied by head damage.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:37 PM
banned

Car Info: hybrid 03 wrx
I did everything people said not to do on my hybrid and it's running fine... It comes down to the builder plane and simple.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Did you decide what you're going to do yet?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon ej207
I have an 04 block I can sell you. I was going to rebuild the heads, but I'm going a new route.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Originally Posted by fehnix
I have an 04 block I can sell you. I was going to rebuild the heads, but I'm going a new route.
Sorry, didn't realize you had responded here too. Sent you another PM.

@Cody - Still figuring things out but thanks for the bump dude.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM

there is no "cost effective" solution. Besides the cost of whatever shortblock you end up replacing with, don't forget about the labor costs of having everything removed and installed. If the bill ends up being around $10-20K which it could easily be (again, depending on how much you upgrade at the same time, turbo, injectors, tranny, etc.) you might as well just use that $10-20k towards a new car.
once you catch the modding bug, it's hard to get off.... rebuilding your engine will probably just be the start.
sorry... just an opinion (but yes, speaking from experience).
Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Technical Know-It-All

If you get a bill for $10-20k for a spun bearing for a stock replacement engine you deserve to pay it.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM

What's the latest on your car, SubNub? Did you go with an EJ207 installed by EQ?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cody8675309
What's the latest on your car, SubNub? Did you go with an EJ207 installed by EQ?
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and experience. I've been busy dealing with some family stuff and reading up on options. I've decided to swap in an EJ207 at EQ Tuning.

I've come to realize, as iflycoach pointed out, there really is no cost effective solution unless you want and can get your hands dirty and do everything yourself. I'm not immune to the mod bug but I've got enough responsibilities in life I've learned to be realistic. For sure you could turn a rod bearing failure into a 10k-20k build opportunity if you were trying to go way over the top with a built motor. Rebuild quotes I got were in the $4500-$7000 range to rebuild the stock EJ205 (variance depending on whether or not a new short block was used, one dealer quoted me up to $11k if it needed a turbo and EVERYTHING, worst case scenario). Because I was mostly stock, a quality hybrid build would have started around $8000 and likely not including an upgraded turbo but maybe.

So, the EJ207 was the best "value" I could come up with and will end up in the same cost range as a rebuilt stock EJ205. At first I thought it was out of the question due to wiring hassles and smog issues but the necessary wiring additions are simple and can be plug and play and many have proven "smogability", even in Kalifornia.

The biggest mental roadblock to spending the time and money to rebuild my EJ205 as a stock EJ205 was spending all that money for no real upgrade in enjoyment (upgrades in reliability and such yes but $6000 and you don't even have a turbo/fuel upgrade!). So, with the EJ207, I'm not only getting an upgrade in reliability (of the engine), I'll see 60-90 HP increase at the wheels after tuning (twin scroll VF37!!). So, call that the mod bug if you want but I searched for used cars that would cost what a rebuild would and I just couldn't bring myself to buy a used Buick haha.

Could I buy 1000CC injectors and turn the boost up to 25lbs on E85 and make ridiculous power for a few hundred more? Why yes I could but that's the mod bug talking haha. I just want to get the car back on the road. I enjoy it a bunch and hope to enjoy it for years to come. Here is a breakdown of what is going into the swap.

Basics:
V9 JDM EJ207 STI Motor & intercooler
V8 JDM ECU to run AVCS (V9 ECU has immobilizer hardware and is extra headache)
AVCS wire loom from JDM car (Re-use 4 wires for adding AVCS on passenger side, re-pin existing TGV wires on driver's side ala DS1 instructions. IAP also sells a great plug and play kit for $200)
Gates Timing Belt Kit (TCK328)
OEM Subaru Cast Impeller Water Pump & Gasket (Research indicates this design to be superior to stamped design)
NGK 2667/BKR7EIX (Stock heat range for JDM motor)

Add-ons:
EXedy OEM Clutch Kit (KSB03)
Group N STi Engine Mounts

Extras:
Prosport Halo Oil Pressure Guage
SMY Clustermaker (will move existing boost and new oil pressure guage into SMY cluster surround for cleaner install)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Aw, we can be twinsies with that style of gauge cluster.

Thanks for laying it out. Now I can just copy you when mine lets go (how has it not let go yet???).

I'll hit you up offline for the full cost estimate so I can know what to set aside...it's not like I can get a low interest loan for repairs.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
I have been doing research aswell and still not sure if i want to build/replace or just sell my 02 and get into a newer model ive got 171k miles.I would love to jump into a Sti but hate payments but if your option is smog legal i should consider it.Could you pm me your list & cost? Are you putting a 6 speed Sti drivetrain?I was adding the cost of a Sti change over engine,drivetrain,brakes and interior for my bugeye and allmost makes sense to just jump in the Sti it is just so hard to let my bugeye go.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Technical Know-It-All

$8k for a hybrid? What con artist shop gave you that quite? It should be half that + whatever head work might be needed.

I'd ditch the Prosport Halo gauge. If you're going to get an oil pressure gauge, don't get them from a company known for poor accuracy and leaky oil sandwiches.

FYI, there is a JDM STI front clip on eBay right now for $6,700 that also includes the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and all 4 hubs.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
I have been doing research aswell and still not sure if i want to build/replace or just sell my 02 and get into a newer model ive got 171k miles.I would love to jump into a Sti but hate payments but if your option is smog legal i should consider it.Could you pm me your list & cost? Are you putting a 6 speed Sti drivetrain?I was adding the cost of a Sti change over engine,drivetrain,brakes and interior for my bugeye and allmost makes sense to just jump in the Sti it is just so hard to let my bugeye go.
DabiDa, I'll try to find time to PM you. The more working stuff you have in your stock engine, the less money the swap will cost you, provided you can sell your engine for a decent price. I didn't end up putting the 6 speed in, I just couldn't swing the extra expense ($1500-2000 parts plus unknown labor). I've pulled clutches from other cars I've owned after 70k miles and they looked brand new so I think my driving style should be ok on the stock 5 speed...

Originally Posted by Brfatal
$8k for a hybrid? What con artist shop gave you that quite? It should be half that + whatever head work might be needed.

I'd ditch the Prosport Halo gauge. If you're going to get an oil pressure gauge, don't get them from a company known for poor accuracy and leaky oil sandwiches.

FYI, there is a JDM STI front clip on eBay right now for $6,700 that also includes the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and all 4 hubs.
First, I called the most reputable shops in Northern California and got quotes of $6000-$7000 JUST to rebuild as a stock EJ205 with a new factory shortblock and no frills. Cheapest quote I got was around $4500 and that was machining my short block and the quote was sight unseen. I think $8000 is not out of the question for a quality hybrid build, with port matched heads and some supporting modifications, especially when I've received PM's from other folks in CA that have spent upwards of $10k.

Maybe it's cheaper in VA? Shop time out here in CA is $100+ an hour...

Thank you for the advice on the Prosport gauge, I agree the internet says they are "known for poor accuracy"...Must be true right? Thankfully, unlike random claims on the internet, I have experience with these gauges...My current Prosport Halo boost gauge is dead nuts accurate according to my tuner, compared to reading boost from the ECU. It's been working for over a year. I attribute this largely to the quality of my work on the installation, mounting the sender firmly inside the cabin and running quality vacuum line. As for the "leaky sandwiches," to use terminology like yours, "if you use a sandwich adapter, you deserve to have it leak!" I'll be installing the sender unit where the factory oil pressure sender is (removing and replacing with the Prosport sender of course). Lastly, the Prosport Halo series is not their cheapest line of gauges and the digital sender is higher quality than the larger sender that comes with the standard gauges.

I wouldn't buy a front clip from just anyone on Ebay. I did a lot of research on vendors before I purchased my engine. One of the "recommended" vendors on another popular forum, for instance, is rated an F by the BBB...

Don't believe everything you read...

Last edited by SubNub; 08-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by SubNub
First, I called the most reputable shops in Northern California and got quotes of $6000-$7000 JUST to rebuild as a stock EJ205 with a new factory shortblock and no frills. Cheapest quote I got was around $4500 and that was machining my short block and the quote was sight unseen. I think $8000 is not out of the question for a quality hybrid build, with port matched heads and some supporting modifications, especially when I've received PM's from other folks in CA that have spent upwards of $10k.

Maybe it's cheaper in VA? Shop time out here in CA is $100+ an hour...

Holy cow. Anything over $4,000 for a stock replacement shortblock (no frills per your mention) is a complete rip off. I've had a built EJ205 (pistons and rods) put in for $3,200. For a hybrid, ~$5,000 for a tuning shop (assuming your don't match the heads) and ~$6,000 for a dealership are the going rates just about everywhere else.

Your local shops are really screwing their customers over there....

As for Prosport, one of their former employees testified that many of their gauges just aren't accurate and that the return rate for this and because of gauge failure for warranty is somewhere close to 30%. I've been able to say "told you so" quite a few times when people buy Prosport gauges over the years despite my warning not to.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-19-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please