Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please

So, I've spun a rod bearing in my lightly (but dyno tuned) 2004 WRX with 69,000 miles. I'm happy to go into the details of why I think it happened, my modifications etc. but I'm trying to keep this short because I need . I assume best case scenario I need a short block and to clean and check the heads but I really haven't been following the trends in engine building as of late and I need to keep this economical for a long list of reasons...

So, I've got a couple quotes for replacing with a 2.0L stock short block but I've got a local independent Subaru shop saying they recommend building a hybrid motor (2.5L short block) and using thicker head gaskets to bring the compression down. I asked if they would be doing any head work and they indicated just a clean and check and go from there (no custom head job included which in my limited knowledge of hybrid builds seems to be required).

So, what's the word from the knowledgeable folks here. What's my most cost effective option to be able to enjoy this car longer! Hybrid 2.5L short block with 2.0 heads, yay or nay? Also, anyone recommend any shops in the greater Sacramento Area that you trust and does good work?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
I've heard that hybrids don't tune well since the shape of the heads cause hot spots and pre-ignition, even if you address the compression ratio with a thicker head gasket (which I don't think fully addresses the issue).

My suggestion is to stick with a stock 2L shortblock, unmolested, from Subaru. It'll be the best value option and you won't need a retune.

Though it would be ideal to add a DP so you're stage 2 and get retuned by the same shop that does the install so they can offer you a good warranty and no finger pointing if something happens under warranty... It's too bad you can't wait for EQ Tuning to get through their back log...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
just just get long block ej255 or ej257 (06+ wrx or sti)

Last edited by mistaanime; 07-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
ej207
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
just just get long block ej255 or ej257 (06+ wrx or sti)
But wouldn't this require a new ECU and wiring harness? I was under the impression that the 2.5L heads have variable valve timing and I didn't think the USDM 2.0L heads did so my ECU isn't wired for that.

Still not finding economical choices for even a stock 2L short block rebuild...
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Loves the Anime

02-05 Subaru WRX Rebuilt Engine

maybe just swaping the block.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM

02-05 Subaru WRX Rebuilt Engine

maybe just swaping the block.
Hey, thanks for the reply. This looks like an interesting option. Can I really trust some random shop who sells rebuilt engines? I'd also have to transfer all my accessories. Price is looking a little better than other alternatives though...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
My hybrids were the most fun engines I had. True they do create hot spots due to the heads, but the high compression is fun. I was a complete moron to go Ej257 longblock with stock compression pistons and regret it immensely.

The thicker gaskets are junk. Never use anything but Subaru OEM head gaskets.

Also, you will need larger injectors if you bump up to a 2.5L block.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
For the hybrid eqtuning does combustion chamber matching. Its the way to go if you plan on going hybrid. Ive been 100% happy with my hybrid setup that EQ built for me. No issues and personally I think the added torque is worth having the 2.5 shortblock if your going through the trouble of building an engine.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback here guys, I talked to EQ about a hybrid build and I think that sadly, it's out of my price range as this wasn't a planned engine failure (haha). For sure it's hard to take since in the scheme of things, it's not a ton more overall but I don't think I can swing it.

So far, I'm left with figuring out the best route for a 2.0L short block and re-using my heads, provided they are re-usable...I'm weighing time factor, cost and my level of trust in the shop to do the work. So far EQ only has my trust haha (but that's probably worth more than the other criteria frankly).
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Loves the Anime

Originally Posted by SubNub
Hey, thanks for the reply. This looks like an interesting option. Can I really trust some random shop who sells rebuilt engines? I'd also have to transfer all my accessories. Price is looking a little better than other alternatives though...
no problem..i mean.. that gives you the ball park pricing for them.. you can probably find them cheaper.

As for hybirds. its really up to you and what you do with your car. I don't know much about them other than putting a 2.0 head on a 2.5 block. Strikes me like a honda thing in putting a Vtec head on a non vtec block.

Probably after building a hybird, it would cost you more than just buying a jdm ej207..i could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM

no problem..i mean.. that gives you the ball park pricing for them.. you can probably find them cheaper.

As for hybirds. its really up to you and what you do with your car. I don't know much about them other than putting a 2.0 head on a 2.5 block. Strikes me like a honda thing in putting a Vtec head on a non vtec block.

Probably after building a hybird, it would cost you more than just buying a jdm ej207..i could be wrong.
Yes, you could likely buy a used JDM EJ207 with 6 speed transmission on Ebay for around or just under a good engine rebuild but it's still a used engine and unless you can do the install work yourself (I have some friends trying to convince me that I can), there's LOTS of labor involved in swapping the engine, ECU and wiring harness over.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Loves the Anime

Originally Posted by SubNub
Yes, you could likely buy a used JDM EJ207 with 6 speed transmission on Ebay for around or just under a good engine rebuild but it's still a used engine and unless you can do the install work yourself (I have some friends trying to convince me that I can), there's LOTS of labor involved in swapping the engine, ECU and wiring harness over.
haha since you are in sac. get the motor/tranny. I know someone that can get job installed for you at a reasonable price.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
I was in your situation a year or so back when my 04 failed. Labor & machine work is whats going to kill on the total cost. A 2.0 build is not going to be much cheaper then a 2.5 when its all said and done if you dont want to cut corners. Also you dont want to skip out on something and regret it later. It makes sense to upgrade certain parts while your in there now and have the peace of mind for later if you can.

Is this something you plan on keeping for a while? If not you may even come out ahead selling it as is and putting the cost towards something else as much as I know that sucks to hear. Hybrids can be great, but not alot of shops have experience or set them up right. Buying a used engine is always a gamble also....

I ended up with the hybrid because it was only a little more then a new 2.0L, more potential and the shop doing my work has done alot of them. What is your plan for the car? Just a DD or did you have other plans?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ddavis
I was in your situation a year or so back when my 04 failed. Labor & machine work is whats going to kill on the total cost. A 2.0 build is not going to be much cheaper then a 2.5 when its all said and done if you dont want to cut corners. Also you dont want to skip out on something and regret it later. It makes sense to upgrade certain parts while your in there now and have the peace of mind for later if you can.

Is this something you plan on keeping for a while? If not you may even come out ahead selling it as is and putting the cost towards something else as much as I know that sucks to hear. Hybrids can be great, but not alot of shops have experience or set them up right. Buying a used engine is always a gamble also....

I ended up with the hybrid because it was only a little more then a new 2.0L, more potential and the shop doing my work has done alot of them. What is your plan for the car? Just a DD or did you have other plans?
Who did the work for you if you don't mind me asking? Looks like there is at least $2k involved in a proper hybrid setup over repairing my 2.0L with a new short block (and not cutting corners).

Quick Reply: 2004 WRX Spun Rod Bearing - Options and Advice Please