Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU RESET YOUR ECU! - can some one make this a sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 93 impreza
WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU RESET YOUR ECU! - can some one make this a sticky?

Ok, honestly, i am getting tired of every one pretending to be an expert and calling for an ECU reset with wiper fluid refill.

Every time ECU is reset it looses system status, and has to go through a set of internal tests to verify internal system functionality, mostly emissions control. Until these tests are complete (drive cycle tests) your car will run in a safe mode (default mode, almost a limp mode). This results in your car running much richer then normal to be on a emissions safe side, and on average for all test conditions to occur it takes 2-6 weeks. Which brings me to a point, every time ECU reset is done, it does more harm then good, but if one is determined to reset ECU every time a new gauge is installed, this will help you:

I would also suggest purchasing or renting an OBD II scan tool so you can verify all tests have been ran.

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you’ve erased any trouble codes from the PCM’s memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system status "flags" so that subsequent faults can be detected.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

Thanks
Alex-
Old 09-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Good post. Where did you get this info?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:57 PM

my brother is in college for auto mechanic, I originally found info on OBD II drive cycle in his books. For the lack of motivation to retype the page i copied this patricular info from: here (http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/us796obd.htm)

also here: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Last edited by awd4ever; 09-24-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 PM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
I second the good post... it's now saved and going to be used when I get the charging system upgrade.

Thanks,

Ash
Old 09-26-2003, 05:05 AM

bump for good info. But is the cycle EXACTLY the same for all OBDII cars?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:25 PM

yes, this is what OBD II consists off. Some companies go overboard with the number of sensores, and monitoring techniques, BMW is an example.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Ye Gods, I hope that the OBDIII system described in that linked article never comes to pass. If it does, and as described, you'll never be able to mod anything.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:55 PM

on the contrary, the more things are computer controlled, and computer limited, the easier it will be to modify.

A reletevly simple piggy back can unlock your cars full potential by lying to your computer about sensor readings.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:05 PM

bump
Old 10-03-2003, 03:39 AM

Car Info: 95 1.8 fwd auto -> 95 2.5 awd 5sp
get one of these O2 fixes off ebay. I hear they work, no phun. it just reads back to ecu the voltage it would get under normal conditions... you should be able buy one of these from a boat store for 5$
Old 10-05-2003, 11:45 PM

If i am not mistaken such a law got declined, but i do think it's only a matter of time till it passes. Then we'll have to have a chip to remove RPM fuel cut, Governor, and GPS monitoring... Did you know that a law has passed that every new cellphone should have a GPS locator to allow emergency responce units locate you within 3 meters?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM

what a great thread... it's about the last time i've been to this board.

Hello again

Quick Reply: WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU RESET YOUR ECU! - can some one make this a sticky?