Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Should I buy a access port?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX
Should I buy a access port?

So I have a 2003 WRX and I want to get it tuned but I'm not sure which route I should go, should I get a dyno tune or should the access port be fine? I am looking for a tune for very light auto x, and street driving because this is my daily driver and I don't want to over board. Would a access port stage 2 tune be fine with these mods? OK, so here are my mods:
-Cobb SS turbo back
-K&N typhoon intake
-HKS uppipe
-NKG one step colder iridum spark plugs
-Cobb light weight main pulley
--3 port boost control solenoid (Waiting to figure out this question before I install)

Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
You upgraded the intake, I believe the cobb maps are only written for either oem or the cobb short ram intake.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by bugeye86
So I have a 2003 WRX and I want to get it tuned but I'm not sure which route I should go, should I get a dyno tune or should the access port be fine? I am looking for a tune for very light auto x, and street driving because this is my daily driver and I don't want to over board. Would a access port stage 2 tune be fine with these mods? OK, so here are my mods:
-Cobb SS turbo back
-K&N typhoon intake
-HKS uppipe
-NKG one step colder iridum spark plugs
-Cobb light weight main pulley
--3 port boost control solenoid (Waiting to figure out this question before I install)

Thanks guys
Get a Cobb AccessPort then buy a Torqued Performance Stage2 map. They have a tune specifically for the K&N intake. Eric from Torqued Performance can also tune your subie based off of data logging to make a tune specific to your mods
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Really depends. Look at the functions the ap will give you. Do you like those functions? If so get the ap. If not for the cost of the ap there are shops that will tune you open source with a custom map that will optimize your current setup.

I went with an ap, I am glad I did as it enables me to switch between tunes.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX
So I talked to a rep at Cobb and he told me everything would be cool with the access port besides the boost control, with that on I'd need to go to a pro tuner. My first choice would be EQ tuning because I have heard nothing but good things about them but I am also thing about making a trip to SO Cal to visit the Cobb California headquarters and have them do it.. Thanks for all the info you guys gave me, its been a real help with me making my decision.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by bugeye86
So I talked to a rep at Cobb and he told me everything would be cool with the access port besides the boost control, with that on I'd need to go to a pro tuner. My first choice would be EQ tuning because I have heard nothing but good things about them but I am also thing about making a trip to SO Cal to visit the Cobb California headquarters and have them do it.. Thanks for all the info you guys gave me, its been a real help with me making my decision.
Yever heard of the crazy british guy at GST motorsports who is running the fastest time attack suburu I think in the world.

Just saying cause you are in the south bay, and they are in Hayward.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
its all about getting your ride protuned. Bookshelf maps can only last so long. I do however like the ability to switch out different maps on the accessport.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
As sated you can only go so far with a OTS map,If you are going to use the extras that the AP offer do it,if not just tune it and since you have to tune for ebcs it really is up to you if you want add the AP.Cobb has great products and customer service also holds its value very well so if you pick one up and end up not wanting it you can sell it and not take much of a hit on the pocket
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRB WRX
If you already own a laptop, look into a tactrix cable and opensource maps. Ive been running a Torqued Performance map for over a year on my 08 wrx daily driver. No issues. And alot cheaper than an AP if you want to put in the time to learn.