Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

low programmable voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM

low programmable voltage?

Hi everyone, I just tried to get my car reflashed. I have Ecutek. The tuner said my car can't be tuned because of a low VPP programmable voltage. it was 4.35v and it needs to be 11.75-12.5v. Does anyone know the cause of this and how i can fix it?

The tuner said he had never seen this before so he couldn't suggest anything. My car still runs (i drove home).

Would i need to buy a new ECU? What if i switched to a Cobb accessport, would that fix it?

i really need to get my car retuned, i just added a fuel pump and one step colder spark plugs and was told my car is pinging pretty bad.

i have an 02-03 wrx.

Thanks

EDIT: Just tested my cars battery voltage with the engine running, it was around 14v DC. When I turned off the engine, i waited a few minutes and tested again, the battery voltage was around 12.5-13v DC. Not sure if this info helps at all.

I read that some of the accessport guys have problems with the low voltage thing, I have Ecutek though. I guess there would be some kind of threshold voltage any tuning program no matter what.

Does this mean my ECU is fried? My car still runs and everything, and originally with the Ecutek I had two maps loaded on and I can still switch between them.

Last edited by blaznasn; 06-26-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
your battery is fine its suppose to read 14v when running for a while

12v is normal for sitting myabe lower

something is taking voltage away from teh ecu

tuners can tune for the low voltage but why when you should fix it
you can correct for not enough volts and scale it

go get electrical/alternator cleaner and shoot out the alternator as per thier instructions

and if your running anything stupid get rid of it
ie amps strobe lights ect
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM

ok thanks, i'll try that, i am getting an accessport and i'll see if i still have the same problems. The only extra electronics i have are my 3 gauges, and alarm.

I have a redtop optima battery i just bought about a year ago too, i heard they had a recall last year, but my battery seems fine.