Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Engine ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by phoneman
It's not just market material, there are plenty of independent studies done to back up their claims. Here is one such study on a million mile engine that was torn down and detailed the wear. AMSOIL Performance Testing Archives
They wouldn't still be around after 40+ years if the products didn't do what they said. But I'm not on here trying to convince you to change. Just asking about the lifter type. To be honest, I never liked the sound of the engine from the getgo. It always ticked off and on when idling, but the dealer claimed it was normal.
I think you are confusing two things there. Just because a company is still around does not mean its product is the best thing since sliced bread. Bose is still around too and their products are pretty much overpriced garbage. People know the name and keep buying it and all their hype.

I've read the reviews and the TRUE reviews. "Studies" are pretty much just to show what they want to show, not the truth. Not saying their products aren't OK, but the extreme interval is simply idiotic. My uncle did the same thing for years on his truck. The motor lasted quite a few years that way, but then it was an older Toyota pickup and they basically run forever, but the motor still died in the end.

Yes, boxer engines are noisy; that's sort of a given.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by 04GG
I think you are confusing two things there. Just because a company is still around does not mean its product is the best thing since sliced bread.
If it was then every company would be copying it and every one would be using it rather than it being some hidden secret.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Although I appreciate your expertise, I can't say the same for your choice of language. I consider this inappropriate.
Punched in my VIN to the vin decoder and found out that it is SOHC, therefore does has solid lifters. I spoke with my dealer about the issue and apparently boxer engines (higher mileage ones), do have cold weather piston slap. Typically on temperatures below 40, and it will go away after a few minutes ( up to 15 minutes ). Subaru does not say any work needs to be done to correct it, does not affect engine performance or longevity. Could be what I am experiencing.

I am no stranger to being around folks with rough language, but like you said, "it's an Internet forum" and they do have rules. This is akin to swearing, and I doubt that swearing is tolerated. That said, I know many ppl spew the phrase with nary a thought and what I think won't change that.
Originally Posted by Brfatal
As a moderator I will tell you nothing he said is against any rules.
Phoneman, I by no means meant to insult you in any way or form. I was just shocked at time gap for oil change. and there ARE swear filters on this sitefor those that truly need to have their mouths washed. again, i apologize for using the Lord's name in a manner i thought appropriate. Happy Wednesday!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru outback Limited
Originally Posted by 02RS25
Phoneman, I by no means meant to insult you in any way or form. I was just shocked at time gap for oil change. and there ARE swear filters on this sitefor those that truly need to have their mouths washed. again, i apologize for using the Lord's name in a manner i thought appropriate. Happy Wednesday!
Thanks for the apologee, no harm done. Honestly, I was more taken aback then offended, to see that here. I'm a newbie here, but I've been a FTE forum member for years and never seen anything of this sort on those forums. But maybe it's because most of the forums where I spend my time at FTE have a bunch of old farts, like myself, lol

As for everyone else who disagrees with my Amsoil choice, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I do plan on getting an oil analysis at my next oil change. That is something I've always thought about doing, but never got around to it. If it comes back bad, I'll be the first to eat my words. But that's probably more towards springtime, when it starts to warm up a little here in Ohio. I'll post the results here when I get them, if anyone cares to see them.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru outback Limited
As for everyone else who disagrees with my Amsoil choice, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I do plan on getting an oil analysis at my next oil change. That is something I've always thought about doing, but never got around to it. If it comes back bad, I'll be the first to eat my words. But that's probably more towards springtime, when it starts to warm up a little here in Ohio. I'll post the results here when I get them, if anyone cares to see them.
Well as promised, I had an oil analysis done when I changed the oil. I thought I would post the results here for anyone who has been following this post or cares about the oil quality. Also, I tore done the engine and fixed my head gasket leak, replaced the timing belt and assorted pulleys as well as the water pump.

Bruce Blac_Outback_Gasoline E_15391095_Abnormal_10294962.pdf

Basically says the only issue with the oil is the presence of a small amount of coolant in the oil. This is because of the head gasket problem I have already mentioned. We only put about 10k on the car last year, usually go closer to 15k. The cylinders showed the original cross-hatching, so they are in really good condition. I took a few pictures to document this, but they probably are not clear enough to see, but I'll put them in here as well.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Engine ticking?-outbackcam.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
The cam and rockers show no sign of sludge, so I am really pleased with the performance of the oil.
The car is back on the road with 2 trips under the belt for over 2000 miles. Running just fine, but I'm sure the piston slap will be back when the cold weather returns.
Attached Thumbnails Engine ticking?-outback2.5.jpg   Engine ticking?-outbackcylinder.jpg