Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Engine ticking?

Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru outback Limited
Engine ticking?

I have an 08 Legacy/Outback that I purchased new (demo car). I'm asking this question because my online repair manual source through the library doesn't come up as available for this car. Over the past few winters, it makes lifter noise when it's cold. As soon as it warms up after a couple of minutes it sounds just fine. I run Amsoil synthetic oil and even try flushiing the engine when changing it. Do these cars even have hydraulic lifters or could they have solid and just need readjusted? It has about 99k miles now, otherwise runs just fine. It has a slight oil leak on the drivers side head gasket that I may have to address one if these days also. I've checked the maintence schedule and it doesn't seem to indicate valves need attention, so just thought of seeking advise from others.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Car Info: 2014 sti
Thats a 2.5 single cam or dohc if its a single cam run 5-20 syntech the oil quality is too thick causing tapping type of noise coming from the valve lash cuz of the harsh weather lubrication is too thick thinner oil the better in winter swich back to 5-30 in summer if it still causing that valve lash noise even after with thinner oil its not the bottom end rod knock is it ?????
Old 01-11-2014, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback. No, it's definitely lifter tapping. I believe it's a DOHC, but not sure. I have run AMSOIL synthetic since new and I actually think they recommend 5w20, but I've been using 5w30 as recommended by Subaru. I only do a yearly oil change because AMSOIL is capable of that. AMSOIL is selling an OE synthetic oil blend that would give me 6 months, so maybe I will switch and take your advice for next winter. It does only sound like 1 lifter, rather than all of them.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by phoneman; 01-11-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
Yearly? That's not a good idea at all, even if you barely drive it.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
Yearly? That's not a good idea at all, even if you barely drive it.
Well,you probably know nothing about the Amsoil brand. They are the first company to market synthetic oil for the automotive industry, started in the 70's. They have the studies that back up their extended oil drain intervals. You must use their high quality oil filters, to make sure you are getting the most out of the oil. I personally, have used it for more than twenty years in all of my vehicles, as well as my some other family members cars. No problems at all.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM

How often do you drive the car? I know amsoil will go longer than most oils, but I just don't see risking it to go 10k+ per year on a single oil change. Maybe 5-6k MAX. No matter what they say.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Most car manufacturers are recommending 5 or 6k between oil changes, just using conventional oil. We probably drive 10-15k mile per year. Honestly never had an issue with any cars. You should check out their web page to get info. It's pretty pricey, but if you become a preferred customer, you get a pretty good discount that makes it affordable.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I don't care what oil it is, it WILL pick up contaminants during use no matter what filter you use. Since it does it when it is cold primarily and goes away, it IS the viscosity of the oil, so either try something else or live with it. It may have been around since the 70s but it is no different than any other current synthetic. You may have used it for 20 years but that doesn't mean the Boxer motor likes it.

NEVER go by marketing material. Go by what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
"never had any problems"....until now. if you have SOHC, you have rocker arms and lash adjustment. if you have DOHC, you have SOB. a yearly oil change???? jesus christ! i deff wanna say it has something to do with you changing yearly. as 04GG stated, any oil will pick up particles and keep them there until you drain. VERY possible an oil galley in the heads is plugged due to not changing oil as recommended. if you are worried about valves at all, do a compression test. if you are worried about bottom end, do a leakdown as well. but a yearly oil change is risque, no matter what the car or oil brand. AND the fact that you are loosing oil, TBH you kind of set yourself up for a headache. GL bud! let us know what the verdict is!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG

NEVER go by marketing material. Go by what the manufacturer recommends.
It's not just market material, there are plenty of independent studies done to back up their claims. Here is one such study on a million mile engine that was torn down and detailed the wear. AMSOIL Performance Testing Archives
They wouldn't still be around after 40+ years if the products didn't do what they said. But I'm not on here trying to convince you to change. Just asking about the lifter type. To be honest, I never liked the sound of the engine from the getgo. It always ticked off and on when idling, but the dealer claimed it was normal.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
jesus christ!
Although I appreciate your expertise, I can't say the same for your choice of language. I consider this inappropriate.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by phoneman
It's not just market material, there are plenty of independent studies done to back up their claims. Here is one such study on a million mile engine that was torn down and detailed the wear. AMSOIL Performance Testing Archives
They wouldn't still be around after 40+ years if the products didn't do what they said. But I'm not on here trying to convince you to change. Just asking about the lifter type. To be honest, I never liked the sound of the engine from the getgo. It always ticked off and on when idling, but the dealer claimed it was normal.
That's fine and all, but do realize that AMSOIL is no magic formula. Much of it is gimmick and hype. It's not exactly a secret that they have paid for some of their reviews. Yearly oil changes are an all around bad idea. That being said, Subaru engines do tend to run loud.

Although I appreciate your expertise, I can't say the same for your choice of language. I consider this inappropriate.
It's an internet forum. You're going to need much thicker skin than this.

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-15-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 AM

I think he's marketing for amsoil
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 AM

Punched in my VIN to the vin decoder and found out that it is SOHC, therefore does has solid lifters. I spoke with my dealer about the issue and apparently boxer engines (higher mileage ones), do have cold weather piston slap. Typically on temperatures below 40, and it will go away after a few minutes ( up to 15 minutes ). Subaru does not say any work needs to be done to correct it, does not affect engine performance or longevity. Could be what I am experiencing.
Originally Posted by Brfatal
It's an internet forum. You're going to need much thicker skin than this.
I am no stranger to being around folks with rough language, but like you said, "it's an Internet forum" and they do have rules. This is akin to swearing, and I doubt that swearing is tolerated. That said, I know many ppl spew the phrase with nary a thought and what I think won't change that.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I am no stranger to being around folks with rough language, but like you said, "it's an Internet forum" and they do have rules. This is akin to swearing, and I doubt that swearing is tolerated. That said, I know many ppl spew the phrase with nary a thought and what I think won't change that.
As a moderator I will tell you nothing he said is against any rules.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine ticking?