Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb Accessport Warranty- NEW

Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX Java Black Pearl
Cobb Accessport Warranty- NEW

Ok I have a question.

I just bought an accessport from a member on here who has great itrader ratings, nice guy too.

I used it on my car works great. It was brand new when I bought, I was the 1st person to use it.

I've had it for a week now.

I unmarried it from my car and tried to use it on my brothers car as his was an 02 and this is a Sub-001

It bricked his ECU, the car wouldn't start and the AP wouldn't flash it back, then, my AP died. It won't turn on. I plug it into my car and my computer- NOTHING.

SO, we had to take another car on our trip. Pain.

I took his ECU out and brought it with my accessport because I read that under COBB's 1 year warranty they have fixed situations like mine quickly.

My concern is that I am not the original retail purchaser. SO if I call them will they not help me because I bought it from someone else and not them, even though it was untouched and brand new out of the box when I got it.

PLEASE HELP!

If necessary I can go through the person I bought it from to make sure they honor the warranty. He is pretty nice and I believe he would help me. He bought this device 1 month ago and I just got it from him.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM

Bump!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Why are you asking us and not Cobb?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM

I don't want cobb to be like "no, you're warranty is void" ***screwed out of $600 bucks!!!***
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
That's part of the risks of buying 2nd hand parts. Even for the original owners Cobb charged ~$300 last time I checked to fix ECUs.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
What exactly does it do? Do you turn the key and get all the noises etc just wont turn over? If it is just a locked ecu call cobb and let them know and you will be taken care of..I had the same issue with my ecu just locking up and car would not turn over gave cobb a call and had my ecu flashed and my AP updated with all the new maps, Cobb has the best customer service.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by DabiDa
What exactly does it do? Do you turn the key and get all the noises etc just wont turn over? If it is just a locked ecu call cobb and let them know and you will be taken care of..I had the same issue with my ecu just locking up and car would not turn over gave cobb a call and had my ecu flashed and my AP updated with all the new maps, Cobb has the best customer service.
I hopped over to his place to check out what happened and it won't turn over... All noises still there. The ecu is not bricked but a better term would be "locked".

So I took out his ecu and ap and told Robby he's going to need to send it into Cobb for this issue. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

After reading a bit apparently only the ap needs to be reflashed by Cobb and the ecu should then be able to accept new maps or unlocked. I personally never had to deal with this so I'm wondering what your experience is and whether he will need a new ecu flash or just ap repair.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
My AP was still working i only had a "locked" ecu i went through all the steps cobb asked plus checked the plug on the passenger kick panel etc with no luck.I then shipped the ECU & AP to cobb the process was very easy gave them a call told them what was going on did steps asked then was asked to ship in,was allways updated with what was going and options
Old 06-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Great news: cobb is taking care of it all, under warranty! Woohoo