Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Would like some insight-cv boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Would like some insight-cv boot

Short Story:
I believe grease from my cv boot is leaking out.
Dealership replaced controls arms, and many other parts in area for free.

Long Story:
About a month ago, I got my control arms replaced due to defects in the 2004 wrx model. Was great because they replaced about 1500 dollars worth of parts because just about everything attached to the controls arms was rusty lol. Anyway, I noticed smoke around a week ago coming from my downpipe/turbo area. Turns out there's grease from my cv boot (I think, the rubber boot going into the front diff/transmission? Drivetrain isn't my expertise) flung all over, mostly on my downpipe. I cleaned it all off.

Have a couple questions regarding the situation:
1. How long is it okay to drive on it? Feels great, pulls fine. No noticeable noises or vibrations, but there was a decent amount of grease.
2. Would it be possible to get the dealership to do this for free? Never had this problem until they started touching all this stuff. I'll call and ask regardless, but want as much info as possible before calling.
3. If not, is it a relatively easy job? I'll be sure to look it up, but want an estimate of time. have jack stands and a decent amount of tools. have done timing belt before to give perspective on my abilities.

All input is greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advanced.
and special thanks to Scoobywax for being a cool guy and providing input
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I'll go ahead and guess that someone at the dealer cleaned the rubber boot off with something corrosive or got oil on it and that weakened the rubber. From what i've heard inner CV boots don't often fail in stock cars.

1. Not long, once the grease is gone the bearings can overheat and ruin the CV cup and themselves. You can tape up the boot and drive it to the repair shop, but I wouldn't go far in that condition.

2. The dealer MIGHT agree to do it for free if they agree that it was likely due to their actions.

3. I would say it is a 5/10 difficulty. Slightly harder than installing new springs/dampers. If you can change your timing belt, you can change a CV boot.

You can get a NAPA or Oreily axle for ~$75-100 with a lifetime warranty, but be prepared to use the warranty since their manufacturing tolerances are often crap.
You can get just the rubber boot at the dealership for $25, but you also need some axle grease and metal zip ties which can cost $10-50 depending on quality/source.
If a shop does the work, expect ~2 hours of labor either way, so average cost is ~$350 total.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
I'll go ahead and guess that someone at the dealer cleaned the rubber boot off with something corrosive or got oil on it and that weakened the rubber. From what i've heard inner CV boots don't often fail in stock cars.

1. Not long, once the grease is gone the bearings can overheat and ruin the CV cup and themselves. You can tape up the boot and drive it to the repair shop, but I wouldn't go far in that condition.

2. The dealer MIGHT agree to do it for free if they agree that it was likely due to their actions.

3. I would say it is a 5/10 difficulty. Slightly harder than installing new springs/dampers. If you can change your timing belt, you can change a CV boot.

You can get a NAPA or Oreily axle for ~$75-100 with a lifetime warranty, but be prepared to use the warranty since their manufacturing tolerances are often crap.
You can get just the rubber boot at the dealership for $25, but you also need some axle grease and metal zip ties which can cost $10-50 depending on quality/source.
If a shop does the work, expect ~2 hours of labor either way, so average cost is ~$350 total.

wow, thanks man. That about covers my questions! I'm gonna try and get this fixed asap. If anything goes wrong, I'll come back here. Until then, I'll get to the grind stone.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM

no spring pin

So I pulled out my axle. boot is torn, but when I pulled it out, i didn't have to remove the spring pin. In fact, there is no hole for it at all. A little confused as of why.