Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Shifting Fork?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Shifting Fork?

Aright guys I'm going to keep this short and simple. Shifting from first to second I'm occasionally getting a grind when shifting from 1st-2nd. This happens most when the cars warmed up after something like a 30min freeway drive. It seems to happen if I shift quickly. First gear never grinds, but only into second. Dealership said they have never heard of someone bending/breaking fork, I think the guys just an idiot to be honest. Iv done a lot of research online on my vehicles symptoms and I'm thinking it's the shifting fork or synchro. Some people report that the WRX forks are made of weak aluminum where as the STIs are steel.

My question is how much do you guys think it will cost in labor alone to get this replaced? I may take the car to a Subie shop in Sac instead of the stealership. Appreciate any feedback form anyone who may have experienced this or a similar problem before.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Overbear's Power Bottom

By the way this is in an 07 WRX with 82k miles. Only mods are a car back exhaust. I believe this problem was caused by a previous owner.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Sounds like a synchro
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Change fluid before anything else. Could be worn.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by jdblock
Change fluid before anything else. Could be worn.
Like flush the transmission? Already did. And I don't want to use that redline stuff heard it's bad in the long run. Ya hopefully nothing to incredibly expensive to replace. If it were the synchros, should I upgrade my clutch at the same time?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Tren Hard
Like flush the transmission? Already did. And I don't want to use that redline stuff heard it's bad in the long run. Ya hopefully nothing to incredibly expensive to replace. If it were the synchros, should I upgrade my clutch at the same time?
I'd run the cocktail.

If you're having to do work on your transmission and you're at 84k you might as well do the clutch while you're in there... if you're doing the clutch you might as well put in an upgrade.

I really think it's a synchro. A decent mechanic should be able to diagnose it pretty easily. I had an issue with mine at like 38k. Dealership diagnosed and fixed it.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Well the stupid dealership thought it was possibly the short shifter I had. They were completely wrong... And said they had never even heard of someone breaking a shifting fork... But whatever. For now on out I think I'll go to a Subaru shop in downtown sac instead. Ya I probably should consider giving the cocktail a try... But Iv just heard of internal corrosion after a long time.

Anyone have a guess estimate how much I'd be looking at to replace the synchros?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Just save for a 6 speed swap. Skip second gear, you don't really need it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:55 PM
General Pimpin'

If you're in Sac I'd make a run over to FW Motorsports. Have them take a look at it for you.

Any time you have to crack the trans for something it's gonna be expensive so JDblock might not be too far off. Might be worth saving up and at least dropping like LGT gears in that thing or something.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If you're in Sac I'd make a run over to FW Motorsports. Have them take a look at it for you. Any time you have to crack the trans for something it's gonna be expensive so JDblock might not be too far off. Might be worth saving up and at least dropping like LGT gears in that thing or something.
ya I'm starting to think its time to get myself a built tranny if I plan in keeping this car long.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If you're in Sac I'd make a run over to FW Motorsports. Have them take a look at it for you. Any time you have to crack the trans for something it's gonna be expensive so JDblock might not be too far off. Might be worth saving up and at least dropping like LGT gears in that thing or something.
i actually am friends with the shop called Alfas and Subaru, so I think I'll take it there.

Or I could build it myself. I have a shop with two lifts... Haha it would take me at least a week probably.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Car Info: sold: 06 wrx
when I had my 06wrx it would grind occasionally shifting to 2nd and 3rd on the stock fluid. switched to uncle scottys cocktail and than amsoil and the problem went away. I recommend amsoil
Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by achavez
when I had my 06wrx it would grind occasionally shifting to 2nd and 3rd on the stock fluid. switched to uncle scottys cocktail and than amsoil and the problem went away. I recommend amsoil
amsoil gear oil?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by achavez
which amsoil? _w-_?
Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 AM

Car Info: '04 STI
mine was doing that and i had good luck with motul

Quick Reply: Shifting Fork?