Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

02 wrx transmission fail!!! need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by Suby2go
My Transmission Just blew out on my 02 wrx last night as well..I have no idea what I want to do, I have had this car for less than six months and have already had to put 2k into it, now this? Makes me want to replace the transmission and sell it. Don't get me wrong its a nice *** car..but I don't know what to do at this point
If you just need a tranny, LOL VTEC on here just did a 6MT swap, he is selling his whole setup for like $300, its posted in the bay area classifieds. Would be a cheap fix till you figured out what you wanted to do. Think all the stuff is over at EQ still.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Havnt been able to find it yet, but I got a quote from EQ tuning to rebuild it for 2k. Which is better than DB Tuning which was quoted at 3400

So we'll see
Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Havnt been able to find it yet, but I got a quote from EQ tuning to rebuild it for 2k. Which is better than DB Tuning which was quoted at 3400

So we'll see
You have to compare apples to apples before making that comment.
A lot of shops will replace ONLY the gear that is broken.
We offer a full rebuild; all gears, all synchros, all bearings, etc.

To do the job correctly, parts alone cost ~$1800.
So be wary of any "cheaper" quotes.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362

So we'll see
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

just curious, what was quoted from eq? what was quoted from db? Even though I had my car built at EQ, I chose db tuned to get an 09 wrx gearset and complete rebuild into my 02 case because db tuned is the only crew i know of who can pull off the 09 gearset and also do the work in house. I didnt want my transmission going to get a regular 02 5mt rebuild based on the power my car makes. I also didnt want my transmission work done by a 3rd party. A lot of shops use gearworks etc.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

I wasn't saying that it was the same build, nor was I "dissing" either shop. I am only looking for the cheapest way to fix my car, I pay monthly payments on my car. When I am broke, a 2k quote is way better than $3.4k. And I know exactly what I am getting for the quote. Although I may be getting better gears or what not, it's about getting my car running. Also, the quote for DB doesn't even include me towing my car all the way to Roseville when EQ is right around the corner. Like I said I'm not talking bad about either shop. It's all personal preference and convenience. And when EQ is 10 miles from my house. You can see my choice.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by johndabrit
just curious, what was quoted from eq? what was quoted from db? Even though I had my car built at EQ, I chose db tuned to get an 09 wrx gearset and complete rebuild into my 02 case because db tuned is the only crew i know of who can pull off the 09 gearset and also do the work in house. I didnt want my transmission going to get a regular 02 5mt rebuild based on the power my car makes. I also didnt want my transmission work done by a 3rd party. A lot of shops use gearworks etc.
+12345 on dbtuned with the 09 gears..drove all the way from SF to get it done, way better than stock gears on a modified setup, and cheaper than having to go six speed

and when replacing only the broken parts and not everything, youll have a higher chance of having to tear it open again to replace another few parts
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subbie WRX
Originally Posted by DerekB707
If you just need a tranny, LOL VTEC on here just did a 6MT swap, he is selling his whole setup for like $300, its posted in the bay area classifieds. Would be a cheap fix till you figured out what you wanted to do.
what set up did he have? I need a trans for my 04 wrx!!