what rpm to launch at?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 07
what rpm to launch at?

ive been launching around 4k.....cant get 0-60 under 6 seconds....i figure its b/c of my launch (slightly modded(uppipe cobb ap stg1 map)
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 PM

Car Info: Sti hatch
hope your not just dumping it, unless you want new tranny..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Yea good luck with the longgevity of your clutch and tranny. I would go with 2k or just start from idle leave the let out clutch all the way and then stab it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Wingless WRX
BOOM hehe good luck =)
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
The longgevity of your transmission and clutch will probably
be on barrowed time.
Start at 2K rpm and go from there.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
i was at the track on wed and ran a 13.4 was launching it at 5500, the clutch started to smell after a few runs so i stopped, cuz i need a new one anyways
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
Originally Posted by apexwagon
hope your not just dumping it, unless you want new tranny..
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Yea good luck with the longgevity of your clutch and tranny. I would go with 2k or just start from idle leave the let out clutch all the way and then stab it.
Originally Posted by WRX>Civic
BOOM hehe good luck =)
Originally Posted by WRX409
The longgevity of your transmission and clutch will probably
be on barrowed time.
Start at 2K rpm and go from there.

It's quotes like these that irritate me. people hear bad news and automatically assume that if you launch ur car....say bye bye to ur trans or clutch If you know how to properly launch, your not going to break anything. granted there have been stories of people ruining their stock trannies by simply driving, but let me give you my story

I beat the living crap out of both of my subies! my 03 WRX saw prolly +90-100 launches in the short time i had it and I never exerienced and problems with the car. drove just fine. the new owner is still on the same stock clutch and trans i believe. my 04 STi has seen the drag strip and auto-x on numerous occasions as well and still going strong. the longevity of you clutch is compromised compared to driving like a pansy, but im at 65,000 miles on my STi STOCK CLUTCH till this day. pedal feel is a bit softer now but hey that was expected. I honestly didnt expect the clutch to last this long lol.

so now lets get to your launching. keep the revs between 5000-5500rpm when u launch. a little trick that others have used is to keep the clutch pedal right at the engagement point. not so much that it moves forward but just enuff. when the time comes, disengage the clutch swiftly and ur off. I used this technique with my WRX consistantly, no clutch smell and solid launches. With my STi I dump the clutch everytime and hit a 1.69 60ft back when it was basically stock but the STi can handle alot more drivetrain shock than a WRX.

anyways have fun, practice makes perfect and don't be afraid of your car. just remember though u gotta pay to play so don't B**** if you break something at the track lol

Last edited by NorCalBugEye; 03-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
At the drags, a decent launch should net a 60-ft time of 1.7 to 1.9 seconds for a lightly modded 2.0 liter WRX on normal all-season or summer street tires. If you can never get under a 2.0 second 60-ft time, you're not getting into boost early enough to launch the car. A really good launch at a drag strip will feel similar to a mildly modified rear drive car with a pair of drag slicks out of the hole.

It's been a few years since I've been to the drags, but best launches aren't achieved by dropping the hammer. I used to try to hold the revs at around 5000 rpm, then slip the clutch while feathering the throttle. My goal was to let the clutch all the way out as quickly as possible while maintaining engine rpm to avoid bogging. I still have my original factory clutch and 5MT at nearly 97,000 miles on the clock, so apparently I didn't abuse my clutch enough to break anything (or wear them out prematurely).
Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2000 2 door RS/ daily driver vtech
^same here...I was doing 6200 launches and as soon as the clutch was out...bang! a full 100 shoot of nos kicked in and never let go of button even as I shifted the car...never had any tranny problems even with all that beatting...and my car is a 2000 rs 5spd, thats back then when I had it all motor, turns out my uncle when't trough 3 trannys in his 06 wrx in less than a year!....its how you drive that desides if your tranny is going to last
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
after getting back from the drags my clutch is roasted but it was gone before i raced and needed to be replaced soon anyways i have 70k
Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
At the drags, a decent launch should net a 60-ft time of 1.7 to 1.9 seconds for a lightly modded 2.0 liter WRX on normal all-season or summer street tires. If you can never get under a 2.0 second 60-ft time, you're not getting into boost early enough to launch the car. A really good launch at a drag strip will feel similar to a mildly modified rear drive car with a pair of drag slicks out of the hole.

It's been a few years since I've been to the drags, but best launches aren't achieved by dropping the hammer. I used to try to hold the revs at around 5000 rpm, then slip the clutch while feathering the throttle. My goal was to let the clutch all the way out as quickly as possible while maintaining engine rpm to avoid bogging. I still have my original factory clutch and 5MT at nearly 97,000 miles on the clock, so apparently I didn't abuse my clutch enough to break anything (or wear them out prematurely).
Wingless! If you get this clear your PM box mang! Hope all is well...Lowball
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
I usually launch around 4-5000 rpm. Never dump the clutch unless you want a new tranny and a pair of new axles. Best run i had was 14.3. Mods were only an SPT intake and Esplier JGT500 catback exhaust.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by NorCalBugEye
It's quotes like these that irritate me. people hear bad news and automatically assume that if you launch ur car....say bye bye to ur trans or clutch If you know how to properly launch, your not going to break anything. granted there have been stories of people ruining their stock trannies by simply driving, but let me give you my story

I beat the living crap out of both of my subies! my 03 WRX saw prolly +90-100 launches in the short time i had it and I never exerienced and problems with the car. drove just fine. the new owner is still on the same stock clutch and trans i believe. my 04 STi has seen the drag strip and auto-x on numerous occasions as well and still going strong. the longevity of you clutch is compromised compared to driving like a pansy, but im at 65,000 miles on my STi STOCK CLUTCH till this day. pedal feel is a bit softer now but hey that was expected. I honestly didnt expect the clutch to last this long lol.

so now lets get to your launching. keep the revs between 5000-5500rpm when u launch. a little trick that others have used is to keep the clutch pedal right at the engagement point. not so much that it moves forward but just enuff. when the time comes, disengage the clutch swiftly and ur off. I used this technique with my WRX consistantly, no clutch smell and solid launches. With my STi I dump the clutch everytime and hit a 1.69 60ft back when it was basically stock but the STi can handle alot more drivetrain shock than a WRX.

anyways have fun, practice makes perfect and don't be afraid of your car. just remember though u gotta pay to play so don't B**** if you break something at the track lol
Make special note of the significant difference between paragraph one and paragraph two. Can you spell CONTRADICTION!!!!

AWD stock WRX drivetrains are not really designed to handle DRAG RACE use. They are tough but there are alot of inconsistancies. One tranny may hold while another breaks. The biggest thing is slipping the clutch at high RPM launches. If you arent making gobs of power your tranny will hold up and I mean like over 300ft lbs. Your clutch will suffer though but hey if that 800 bucks is worth those 6/10ths of a second go for it man.

Just giving advice from personal experience with multiple subaru and Evo's you can do with it what you want. Good luck and let us know what kind of times you run.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STi
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Make special note of the significant difference between paragraph one and paragraph two. Can you spell CONTRADICTION!!!!

AWD stock WRX drivetrains are not really designed to handle DRAG RACE use. They are tough but there are alot of inconsistancies. One tranny may hold while another breaks. The biggest thing is slipping the clutch at high RPM launches. If you arent making gobs of power your tranny will hold up and I mean like over 300ft lbs. Your clutch will suffer though but hey if that 800 bucks is worth those 6/10ths of a second go for it man.

Just giving advice from personal experience with multiple subaru and Evo's you can do with it what you want. Good luck and let us know what kind of times you run.
I dont think any consumer car is built designed to handle drag race use. Sure, they CAN, but they aren't MEANT to.

I have an STi so I can't really give to much advice except practice practice practice. I launch between 5k-5500 and slip the clutch, never smell it, and dont bog, trapping 60' of 1.6-1.7 on average all season street tires on the 2nd weekend the track was open in new england.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi

Last edited by C89ZX7R; 05-22-2009 at 10:47 PM.