Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

The Ultimate EJ18/EJ22 -> EJ25 Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Car Info: '00 Impreza Wagon
I have a 2000 Imp 2.2l and I am unhappy with the power, I know that bolt ons and an PP6 wont get me up to 200 hp, I would be willing to stop there but since I cant make it, I am forced to go a different route, the swap. I want to drop a 2.5 into mine but I dont know much about the whole swap scenario, I have done a lot of research but I still am not quite sure what all I would need to do it, if I did it myself. I have access to two autoshops, a friends, and my brothers, and all the tools and knowledge there. Say I were to buy this engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-E...41076758QQrdZ1

could I just drop it in, well with a new clutch, and go?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
New clutch is not needed.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Car Info: '00 Impreza Wagon
Well my clutch is not strong enough for my liking anyway, and I know it wont be able to handle the power that the 2.5 supplies, plus that along with a new flywheel, I will be much happier.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 95 impreza l awd
need help with my swap

i swapped a 04 wrx motor in my 95 impreza with a sti turbo and 3'' down pipe cant get it 2 start
Old 06-13-2006, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
I read this thread through, just a quick question. What kind of troubles will I experience trying to swap my '99 SJ25 engine for an '01 SJ25 engine? Anything major to look out for?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 AM

Car Info: 96 GC8 Subaru Impreza Wrx
Are there any pics also of this or just a write up??
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Car Info: subaru impreza lx 1995
2.5 engine swap in to a 1995 obd1 car

hello, i'm new to this forum and had a question maybe i could get an answer to.
the question is i want to put a 2.5 into a 95lx impreza that has a 1.8 and i have ever thing figured out except the knock sensor ? how will the timing advance correctly with out it with the stock ecu? any answers thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
does anyone know where i can buy a stronger tranny for an 03 wrx for cheap
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 02-04R-STi PPG's FP-Green 391whp
Originally Posted by turboxs03
does anyone know where i can buy a stronger tranny for an 03 wrx for cheap

Stronger and Cheep are very vague statements. What do you want to do or have you car do ( HP-Drag-AutoX-Week End Warrior ) then perhaps someone can help you ........You own a Subaru, a "strong" transmission IMO is not cheep
Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Car Info: .
I remembered hearing about some company in the bay, (cant remember who though) who specializes in swaps and they can either do the whole thing, just the wiring or they even have wiring kits available to buy and for you to install yourself. Anyone know who that is? I was thinking like LIC or GST but they dont have anything on their websites mentioning it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
zug

Car Info: subaru outback sport 2000
I have 00 2.5 n/a outback sport. I call it the "imbetwixt imprezza". Please excuse me if these are stupid questions, I'm new. Are there any intake swaps that are possible and productive for this motor (or others for other members)? I'm also wondering about what kind of results port and polish work on cylinder head for this motor might produce? One last stupid question... Was wondering what I can expect to get out of this motor if I do the whole header/exhaust/aftermarket intake swap? Rated at 165 hp stock as far as I know. Im assuming someone has already done this and dynoed. i'LL apologize in advance if these questions have already been answered somewhere else on site. Wanna know what I'm up against before I get started..... Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza l
I'm new on this forum, but this is the most information i found when searching online before i did my swap. Now i'm done and it runs great so i thought I'd share.
So, what I have is a early 95 impreza obd1 that came with the 1.8. I used a 05-up engine(just left the avcs unpluged, for now), I'm running an intake from 00-04 impreza, forester, legacy.. i don't know.. it doesnt have egr tho. Also, I used a 3 wire coil from 97 legacy so it uses the newer plug wires. All I had change/extend was the coil plug and injector plugs. The cam sensor was tight tho, probably could've extended that too. I'm running a 2.5 flywheel but using the 1.8 clutch because i just put it in 13k miles ago.
The car is worlds different! It has tons more torque. I'm running the obd1 1.8 ecu and harness and have no check engine lights. At first i got a code for the egr temp sensor but cleared it 2 or 3 times and now it hasn't come back in like 5-600 miles.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza
here's what I did. It's even simpler than all of the stuff you guys have discussed so far. My '96 impreza 1.8L needed more power for cheap, so I simply replaced the block, just the block, only the block, nothing but the block, etc. Use all the 1.8 stuff that your ecu already controls, and get some new 2.5 head gaskets. You'll have to drill a few holes in the head gaskets, to allow coolant to flow to the heads correctly. Use your 1.8 intake manifold. Now, you will need more fuel, so find some 2.5 injectors off of a phase 1 2.5 four-cam motor. They're red on top and will fit right into your 1.8 fuel rails/manifold. You may also want to bump up fuel pressure or add a walbro fuel pump or whatever you want to keep it from leaning out, because you will be running some high compression without a knock sensor. I did this swap and drove from albuquerque to vegas the next weekend with the 1.8 injectors, and noticed that it would ping/knock at full throttle below 4000ft. elevation. The 2.5 injectors help, but higher fuel pressure is still recommended. You could probably just use the 1.8 head gaskets, but they are thicker, and with the added compression, I trust the newer style 2.5 head gaskets. A 2.5 exhaust system makes a big difference as well. I've probably got around 20k on the car since I did the swap, and it still runs like a champ and I never have to downshift to climb a hill on the highway.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
Am I wrong in thinking there is not an ej25t swap thread?
I've used the site-wide search as well as searched this thread and haven't found any from start to finish write-ups about one.

I have an ej25 NA and would like to go 2.5T with a remote turbo, however I haven't found a 2.5t swap thread to date . At least one that has been made and is still active in the last 3yrs.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru RS2.5 DOHC
Question

can i swap a 98 dohc 2.5 into a 93 1.8l?

what issues will i encounter?
is it plug and play?
what should i expect?

Quick Reply: The Ultimate EJ18/EJ22 -> EJ25 Swap Thread