Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

Sti engine and tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Import Tuner Magazine article

IMport tuner mag did an article about this....

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0311...ion/index.html
Old 11-25-2005, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Originally Posted by ny2.5ts
i think he was joking, if not, im sorry that i ruined ur chance at a nice STi engine :-\ . All the swaps between most subaru engines to a different chasis are relatively simple. 4000 is pretty high for just a ECU and Engine swap considering u can get a brand new sti engine, ecu, full exhaust, turbo, all harnesses and installed for 8000. if u find a good shop i;d say the most would be like 5000 but i could be wrong.

$4000 for labor is about right....its the wiring that does it. Add another $500 for the tranny install without Brembos and using the stock R160 rear diff. And if you want it done right, then you will accept the price. These are fairly easy swaps yes....but there is a lot to them. All the mechanical stuff bolts right in, but to get it to run correctly, and if your state has strict smog laws, then you will need to splice the wiring harnesses...unless you have the COMPLETE harness from the donor car and want to just swap the entire harness. Either way, some splicing is required. I know, LIC swapped a JDM Ver. 7 STi into my RS. If you arent comfortable with doing the wiring, then dont even attempt, that would be my advice. Find someone who has done it before.

Originally Posted by ny2.5ts
4000 is pretty high for just a ECU and Engine swap considering u can get a brand new sti engine, ecu, full exhaust, turbo, all harnesses and installed for 8000.
Oh, and Id also like to know where you heard this? Im not tryin to pick on you man, but Ive been through all this with my own conversion and it was oh, well, just a little more than $8,000 to buy all the parts and get them installed correctly through a reputable shop that has done it before....a little more being about $13,000 for everything.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 11-25-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally Posted by Georonimo
Nice, any of those guys on this site? Is there a wagon specific forum on here?
sorry to get off topic .
here is alink to a guy on the boards in hawaii i bought his stock motor for my gc and he did a full sti selling it too
https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-classifieds-97/fs-2004-sti-wagon-113481/
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 AM

I am in the same boat. I have the availibility of a 2004 STi (north amer) and want to install all into my 2003 WRX. Heres what I found out. First its not easy. Its one of the most diff. swaps. The 2002-2003 WRX wiring is based on the JDM STi, thats why a JDM EJ207 swap is a breeze. Now the north american 2004-2005 STi wiring is totally different. Its not plug and play. You need a very good understanding of wiring diagrams. Basically what you need to do is remove all of your EJ20T- engine, transmission and powertrain including right to the discs and all involved WRX engine wiring from ecu to engine harness. Then you need to install into your WRX all involved wiring from your STi (ecu to engine harness). Oh, yes you need to pull the complete dash out.
I am in the dilemma of doing just that. For me its a winter project.
Can i ask where did you get your Sti and price paid???
later.
Craig
Old 11-28-2005, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dashboy67
The 2002-2003 WRX wiring is based on the JDM STi, thats why a JDM EJ207 swap is a breeze.
Where the hell did you get this idea? The JDM swaps are some of the most complicated. The USDM STi swap is difficult because of the different throttle style, its not drive by cable any more like the 02-03 WRX and JDM STi's, but the JDM swaps are by no means a breeze, much less plug and play. There are tons of things to think about when going JDM. Part availibity as well as smog as JDM engines are not supposed to pass.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 PM

i also want to do the sti swap , where can you find a wrecked sti ? im thinking of a insurence auctions ..any 1 any 1 ?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Where the hell did you get this idea? The JDM swaps are some of the most complicated. The USDM STi swap is difficult because of the different throttle style, its not drive by cable any more like the 02-03 WRX and JDM STi's, but the JDM swaps are by no means a breeze, much less plug and play. There are tons of things to think about when going JDM. Part availibity as well as smog as JDM engines are not supposed to pass.
ive read a couple places that you can plug in a ej207 engine and ecu to ej205 wiring and it will run you just gotta add wires for the avcs
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by N1mxer
i also want to do the sti swap , where can you find a wrecked sti ? im thinking of a insurence auctions ..any 1 any 1 ?
that would be the best place my friend just bought a smashed 05 with 40 miles on it for 7k from insurance auto auction
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

hey buddy, study the wiring and then lets talk.....
Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 PM

study what wiring? even if you got to rewire it isnt that hard..as long as you got wiring diagrams for each car
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Car Info: Totaled Impreza BRP
Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu
that would be the best place my friend just bought a smashed 05 with 40 miles on it for 7k from insurance auto auction
I call complete and utter BS on that...

If not, what insurance auctions is he going to? Spill it
Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 PM

why is everyone so fast to call bs?? ohhh well here is the web site http://www.iaai.com/ .... the car was on their lot here in hawaii
Old 12-01-2005, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

Dude, Im not callin BS, Im just sayin I had this exact swap just done on my car...and it was not cake. Sure, I suppose anyone could do it if they had the diagrams and were comfortable tearing appart wiring harnesses on cars...I for one am not, nor did I have the tools to do so. It takes time...I promise you. It could be done in a weekend but thats with help and working ALL weekend.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 PM

There is more to just having the wiring diagrams of both cars. When a swap is done on equal quality cars, same ABS module, same HAVC sys, HID lights, DCCD Controller, etc... Some of these systems tie into the ECU. So not only do you have to rewire for the different engine, you also need to rewire for all other non engine items. Now comes the real challange...what if the connectors from one harness to another don't match, etc 2004 STi to MY02-03 WRX engine to cabin harness??????
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Dude, Im not callin BS, Im just sayin I had this exact swap just done on my car...and it was not cake. Sure, I suppose anyone could do it if they had the diagrams and were comfortable tearing appart wiring harnesses on cars...I for one am not, nor did I have the tools to do so. It takes time...I promise you. It could be done in a weekend but thats with help and working ALL weekend.
i wasnt talking about you im talking about futurestier he called bs that my friend bought a smashed sti... trust me i know that the swap into your rs was hard i did an usdm wrx into my car but i misread the post i thought he was talking about a wrx my bad

Quick Reply: Sti engine and tranny swap