Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

jdm version 5 sti swap desired ;)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Car Info: Impreza 2.5rs, 1999
jdm version 5 sti swap desired ;)

Hey all,
First just wanted to say I'm new to all this forum wildness, but figured if I want answers to the questions I have (as some employees aren't always the best of most helpful) truly addressed by experienced people this was the place to do it.

First, I have owned a 1999 2.5rs since the day I could drive, learned on it, love driving it everyday to this day! Upon purchasing it now ages ago I wanted to turbo it immediately as I have always wanted that amazing turbo love and affection to be created but sadly had to put off my dreams as I realized this is indeed pretty expensive!

So, skip 6 or so years, here I am ready to graduate college, trying to make my dreams of being an on the side race car champion come true, and my way of doing that to me, wouldn't be right if I didn't at least give it a shot with my one and only! Subiee all day!

The desired build:

jdm sti version 5 motor and transmission
whatever else is needed for this, and a moderate goal of 300-350 awhp
I want this to be bullet-proof able to take a beating when it needs it, probably more often than not, and still have amazing street drive-ability and reliability. With this post/thread whatever you guys call it, I just want the knowledge anyone should know about doing this ie: who's the best, who's got the best, what makes things work and not work, what actually has to be done to make this happen!

My questions to start are:
Where is the best place to get a motor, I want actual advice from people who've done it please, as they are to me very trust worthy!

Do I have to do any wild customization to make this happen that most wouldn't know about, like: sub-frame modification, and suspension and or piping customization just for the swap install etc.?

Just wanted to thank you all for your time, and I hope you provide good results as I'm serious about making this dream come true, cars are a passion to me and Subaru is truly one of the companies closest to my heart. I finally have the money to make some dreams come true so I want to do it, and do it right!

All advice welcome!

Lastly, sorry for creating such a long message, can't wait to hear back and make this dream a reality once and for all!

Thanks,
Ray
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Finding a ver5 EJ20 and trans will be next to impossible. I've never seen one for sale. Your best bet is a ver7 or ver8 EJ207 if you really wanted a JDM set up. The numbers your serching for can be met with a USDM 02-05 EJ205 or 06+ EJ255.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 99 Porsche 996
^What eric said.. the + of doing a usdm ej205 u can smog it. and can make that power and still be reliable as long as ur tuner is reliable and u have the right supporting mod's.. i'm on the road 2 280whp-300whp
Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
First off, if your looking for a motor, this is where you go, and this is who you call Remanufactured Subaru Engines If having them ship you a motor is too much trouble, find a used one, look on eBay, or check Craigslist.

Second, like the others have said, if you want reliability (you clearly stated that was a big deal) you would not be getting a JDM motor. You would get a USDM motor and put forged internals in it. You will run into many problems trying to do a full JDM swap, you cant smog it, and you can build a USDM model for less $

I understand the title of saying "My ****z JDM Yo" But its really not worth it. I would rather say "my car is really fast, really well built, and will not break down"

Just my .02

-Ryan