Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

JDM V7 STI swap into USDM 03 WRX...

Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
the avcs harness is only but a few wires =D
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by MonsterGC
the avcs harness is only but a few wires =D
Yeah, it's really not bad... once you get the hang of de-pinning the ECU harness wires.

If your motor comes with a harness that has ECU connectors, my advice is to practice de-pinning on that before doing anything on the connectors in your car. You should be able to remove the pins with no more force than pulling an earbud plug from your phone.

Pry the connector lock up with a jewler style screwdriver.
Push the wire further into the connector
use T-pin or something like it to poke, and then lift the individual wire lock. It doesn't need to go in very far. The individual wire locks are lifted in the opposite direction that the connector lock is lifted.
Gently pull the wire. If the locks are correctly lifted, the wire will come out easily.

Takes like an hour to get it down right if you have nobody to show you. Once you get it down, though, you can de-pin an entire harness in 10 minutes. Takes some fumbling to get it right, though.

Last edited by Concillian; 03-14-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Bump on this.

I am looking into a v7 drivetrain swap into my bugeye. I want to swap everything except for the rotors and brakes.

Will oem wrx brakes go onto the jdm v7 hub assembly? Both being 5x100 I assume they will, but I would like clarification.

Main reason I do not want the brembos is because:
1) I don't need them for my style of driving
2) I like my 5 spokes a lot and don't want to get new wheels/tires
Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by theo79
Bump on this.

I am looking into a v7 drivetrain swap into my bugeye. I want to swap everything except for the rotors and brakes.

Will oem wrx brakes go onto the jdm v7 hub assembly? Both being 5x100 I assume they will, but I would like clarification.

If you can throw V7(any other) brembos on a wrx. I think you should be able to do the reverse.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 AM

Any updates on the car? Would this be able to pass smog?Im getting mixed reviews some say do hybrid,some say lets drop the sti motor in while i say i just want to buy a Sti..
Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
Originally Posted by theo79
Bump on this.

You may have problems with the rear brakes, due to the 5x100 sti hubs have a larger rear hand brake (someone people have downgraded but never seen anything smaller than 06 wrx 2 pots, they purchased special rotors for the gravel setup)

Originally Posted by DabiDa
Any updates on the car? Would this be able to pass smog?Im getting mixed reviews some say do hybrid,some say lets drop the sti motor in while i say i just want to buy a Sti..
You know what they say, if you have to ask might be better to just buy an sti if you have the chance. No point swapping an sti motor into a GD chassis when you can already buy one in factory trim (unless you really want that ej207)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM

So many options,Why does smog have to be a headache? Thanks for the input i just really like my bugeye but want it to have a Sti options motor,trans,brakes,interior etc why cant i have lots of money..
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by DabiDa
So many options,Why does smog have to be a headache? Thanks for the input i just really like my bugeye but want it to have a Sti options motor,trans,brakes,interior etc why cant i have lots of money..
Easy solution buy a sti and do a frontend swap
Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Car Info: 02 subaru impreza WRX wagon sedona red
there's a guy in Canada on Ebay selling JDM stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-EJ207DW4CR-ENGINE-SUBARU-WRX-STi-V7-02-GDBB4EH-EJ20T-DOHC-2-0L-TURBO-MOTOR-/380884220077?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ae77f8ad&vxp=mtr
V7 engine (25-29k mi):

Engine
ECU
Intercooler
Turbo
Coil Packs
Alternator
A/C Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
Spark Plugs

cost is $3k...I got a shipping/freight cost from him at $450 USD.

He also has a V7 engine with transmission for $6k:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-EJ207DW4CR-ENGINE-6-SPD-SUBARU-WRX-STi-V-7-02-GDB-EJ20-T-TURBO-TY856WB1CA-/271451861396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f33cab194&vxp=mtr

Engine
Transmission Manual 6-Speed 4WD
ECU
Turbo
Intercooler
Coil Packs
Alternator
Starter
A/C Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Intake Manifold
Throttle Body
Spark Plugs
Clutch
Fly Wheel
Pressure Plate
Differential
Front & Rear Axles
Front & Rear Spindles

are these good prices? I'd like to look into this swap on my 02 bugeye wagon (already have sedan V7 front clip)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Car Info: JDM STI V7 EWG powered 2003 Subaru MBP WRX
I cannot remember exactly how much I paid for the engine/ecu. I went with only the block, shipped, and i want to say it ran $3500 to $4000.....I got happy spending the xtra money on other parts for the car, so I cant remember exactly what the final figure was on the engine. It's been about a year now, and the engine is still running nice and strong....passed smog back in August using just my stock USDM downpipe, along with the USDM ECU with a simple opensource map I previously was running. Worked like a charm, and when I got home, swapped out the downpipe and ECU, and was up and running in no time with my protune.

The prices that you mention above seem very fair and consistent to what I was seeing. You'll need to budget for all the maintenance items you will need to do before the install: plugs, oil change, timing belt change, belts, etc. When mine arrived, you could clearly see it had been sitting, so it just made sense to do those items. Also, the IACV valve gave me issues on the new motor, it was seriously dirty and i had to do a thorough cleaning of it to get it running right....kept reving funny.