Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

JDM STI RA Spec C Engine

Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 AM

Car Info: subaru wrx sti ra spec c v5 v6 v8
subaru wrx sti ra spec c v5 with v6 front end with v8 engine

Originally Posted by Imprezer
You cannot be referring to the New Age STi Impreza's by "Versions" as there are not any.

Typically, when people say Version 7, that is the first AND second year of the New Age STi.

Those were released as model year 2001 and 2002. Or, MY01 and MY02.

MY01 STi's are properly called GDB-A or GDB revision A.
MY02 STi's are properly called GDB-B or GDB revision B.

Both of those had regular turbos (non-twin scroll).

Spec C was not offered in MY01 and was offered in MY02 as STi Type RA Spec C, STi Limited and STi S202. While the last two were not called Spec C, they had same Spec C motor. There were few differences like ECU's, accessories and turbo's. Those are the golden non-twin scroll forged piston Spec C motors.

So improper term "Version 7" can be applied to both MY01 and MY02 STi Impreza's.

Engine codes for the above 3 would be:

EJ207DW4ER and EJ207DW4EJ. If you only look at the last 2 letters, they are ER and EJ. EJ was stuffed into an actual Spec C and had VF34 and no AC. ER's were in S202 and STi Limited.

(I have the STi Limited motor with engine code EJ207DW4ER). Basically, "J" means no AC and "R" means "luxuary model or w/ AC"

"Version 8" is pretty much what everyone refers to ALL twin-scroll Impreza's

MY03, MY04 and MY05 all had twin-scrolls and different bottom end internals.

They are referred to as GDB-C, GDB-D and GDB-E.

GDB-E is the latest (MY05) STi Impreza's that JUST came out few months ago in Japan.

So if you want the twin-sroll or the wrongly called "Version 8", you technically "want" either of the MY03, MY04 or MY05 Spec C variations of STi Impreza.

MY03 engine code would look like EJ207DW5**
MY04 engine code would look like EJ207DW6**
MY05 engine code would look like EJ207DW7**.

Assuming that they have not changed the way they do these codes, you want either one of the 3 but ending with EJ if you want no AC and ER if you want AC.

Also, other parts are different from Spec C to Spec C based on trim and model year.

Of course the 3 would have very different pricing.

And, finally, if you are looking for a front clip with tranny, there are different types of 6MT. They vary by differential type and other small things too, I think.

So, I hope I did not confuse you even more. If I did, it is good, because it would mean that I got you thinking harder about the most important part/mod on your car.

If you have any specific questions on trims, parts or other issues related to Spec C motors, please feel free to ask. There is a lot to know and a lot to tell, and I cannot just go on rambling about it as I get cross eyed.

If I can ask for one thing in exchange for this knowledge, I would beg you to please stop referring to new age Impreza's by "versions".

Hey I have an old v5 and someone has put a v8 engine turbo loume ecu and front end running gear just got motor fully rebuilt is starting but is running ruff blowing white smoke and dieing has got chiped ecu for 27 psi boost cut no airflow meter no o2 or fuel sincere turbo is vf37 twin scroll and has 5 plug computer what model would that be and what is your thoughts on the problem

Last edited by jonnyandkathryn; 07-23-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Hi and welcome aboard.

Did you compression test it?