Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

JDM STI RA Spec C Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:00 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
JDM STI RA Spec C Engine

i got a question about the JDM Sti engine RA spec C, what's the engine code? stock number? ... i need to know for a sti front clip!!! and does 5k sound good for a newly cut brand new sti front clip? with the motor, ecu, and tranny?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:03 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
what version
Old 10-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Depends. There are various years and various models. EJ207DW4ER. That is an example of a Spec C motor code. Anything with EJ at the end would be Spec C too.

Best thing is to get the code, post it here and I will analyze it.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 PM

version 8, .. cause japanese imports need the engine code so they can get me a freshly cut jdm sti front clip , o and i think i need the code for that too.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Admin v2.0

You cannot be referring to the New Age STi Impreza's by "Versions" as there are not any.

Typically, when people say Version 7, that is the first AND second year of the New Age STi.

Those were released as model year 2001 and 2002. Or, MY01 and MY02.

MY01 STi's are properly called GDB-A or GDB revision A.
MY02 STi's are properly called GDB-B or GDB revision B.

Both of those had regular turbos (non-twin scroll).

Spec C was not offered in MY01 and was offered in MY02 as STi Type RA Spec C, STi Limited and STi S202. While the last two were not called Spec C, they had same Spec C motor. There were few differences like ECU's, accessories and turbo's. Those are the golden non-twin scroll forged piston Spec C motors.

So improper term "Version 7" can be applied to both MY01 and MY02 STi Impreza's.

Engine codes for the above 3 would be:

EJ207DW4ER and EJ207DW4EJ. If you only look at the last 2 letters, they are ER and EJ. EJ was stuffed into an actual Spec C and had VF34 and no AC. ER's were in S202 and STi Limited.

(I have the STi Limited motor with engine code EJ207DW4ER). Basically, "J" means no AC and "R" means "luxuary model or w/ AC"

"Version 8" is pretty much what everyone refers to ALL twin-scroll Impreza's

MY03, MY04 and MY05 all had twin-scrolls and different bottom end internals.

They are referred to as GDB-C, GDB-D and GDB-E.

GDB-E is the latest (MY05) STi Impreza's that JUST came out few months ago in Japan.

So if you want the twin-sroll or the wrongly called "Version 8", you technically "want" either of the MY03, MY04 or MY05 Spec C variations of STi Impreza.

MY03 engine code would look like EJ207DW5**
MY04 engine code would look like EJ207DW6**
MY05 engine code would look like EJ207DW7**.

Assuming that they have not changed the way they do these codes, you want either one of the 3 but ending with EJ if you want no AC and ER if you want AC.

Also, other parts are different from Spec C to Spec C based on trim and model year.

Of course the 3 would have very different pricing.

And, finally, if you are looking for a front clip with tranny, there are different types of 6MT. They vary by differential type and other small things too, I think.

So, I hope I did not confuse you even more. If I did, it is good, because it would mean that I got you thinking harder about the most important part/mod on your car.

If you have any specific questions on trims, parts or other issues related to Spec C motors, please feel free to ask. There is a lot to know and a lot to tell, and I cannot just go on rambling about it as I get cross eyed.

If I can ask for one thing in exchange for this knowledge, I would beg you to please stop referring to new age Impreza's by "versions".
Old 10-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Admin v2.0

Oh yeah, when I said "ask", ask here, so that other people can read it too.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 AM
9 to 5 mod

hmmmmm 202 hmmmmmmm time to ebay a kidney
Old 10-28-2004, 02:56 PM

First of all, thanks for the detailed information that you have listed, and granted i will not call new age sti's by "version" anymore, im still fairly new to modifying wrxs. tho i'm going at a fast pace at modding my own, it's most likely to slow down "soon". okay now let me get this straight. Sti 202 has EJ207DW4EJ, and it has no A/C. Now STI limited has the EJ207DW4ER motor with A/C. Is a/c the only difference between the two motors? Also, what is the difference between twin scroll and ball bearing except that ball bearing turbos spool faster. thanks again for the info
Old 10-29-2004, 12:15 AM
9 to 5 mod

no twin scroll spools up WAAAAAAAAY faster

but they dont put out HP like the ball bearing regular turbo
Old 10-29-2004, 12:15 AM
9 to 5 mod

oh yeah and can you get me a front clip at that price?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Admin v2.0

First of all, thanks for the detailed information that you have listed, and granted i will not call new age sti's by "version" anymore, im still fairly new to modifying wrxs. tho i'm going at a fast pace at modding my own, it's most likely to slow down "soon".
Hehe. Deal. I also wish no one called GD/GG Impreza's as any "version".

Sti 202 has EJ207DW4EJ, and it has no A/C. Now STI limited has the EJ207DW4ER motor with A/C. Is a/c the only difference between the two motors? Also, what is the difference between twin scroll and ball bearing except that ball bearing turbos spool faster. thanks again for the info
Wrong, both S202 and Limited had AC. Regular Spec C didn't. If you are talking about the long block, then they are all the same. There are rumors that S202 had some tricky internals, like nitrated crank, but I was never able to confirm that 100%. Most likely, they are all the same. The "e" series EJ207 engines are "Spec C" motors which had beefier internals, better heads, pass through TGV, etc than the ''c" series EJ207. By series, I refer to the second to the last letter in the engine code. Remember, EJ/ER very good. CJ/CR not so good, but better than US EJ207.

S202 had EJ207DW4ER and so did STi Limited. Both of these models were Spec C's stuffed with options and accessories.

While STi Limited was a basic Spec C with VF30 instead of VF34, AC and dress up options and few other things that are not really worth caring for, the S202 was an STi Limited, but with VF34, ALL STi power and other optional parts (intake pipe, oil cooler, Ti exhaust, carbon wing, shift ****, etc, ect). It also came with special seats, wheels badging and color. It also had a "special" ECU which cranked out the power to a sinful 320hp level.

Twin Scroll turbo's spool up faster, giving you a broader power band.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX STI v.7
Where can I find the engine code? Just a quick look and all I see is ej20. I know my motor is a STI but I don't know if its an "e" or "c" series. It did have a vf30 and AC before swapping in my vf34.

Thanks,
mike
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 PM

okay since im getting the whole front clip, it would be better to get the s202 because it has a "beefier" ECU right? and im not sure right now .. buh from what japanese import said, it's going to be around 5k for the front clip

Last edited by XkrazyAsianX; 10-29-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
9 to 5 mod

i HIGHLY doubt you are getting a 202 clip i think 400 were made
Old 10-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Admin v2.0

The engine code stickers are located on the back of the block. Right in the middle there next to the passenger side head. Also, the sticker is USUALLY present on the timing belt cover on the lower passenger side of the middle peice.

There are few people that "claim" to have S202 motors, but they are lacking few items that ID the motor as the one out of S202.

$5k for the front clip is very good. What will you get for that?

I would not care about the S202 motor, unless u want to brag about it, hehe. Most likely you will still mod it, and then the ECU which makes it so special will mean nothing as you will have to re-flash it due to gas octane differences.

I would look for ANY EJ207DW4ER if you don't want the twin scroll. AC and Spec C internals.

Quick Reply: JDM STI RA Spec C Engine