Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

6 SPEED SWAP w/ 02 WRX!!! Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX. Straight Sexy.
Arrow 6 SPEED SWAP w/ 02 WRX!!! Advice??

Buying a 6 speed JDM STi tranny... Deciding to do the swap myself... Here's what i got so far, please let me know if anything sounds off or any added advice would be mucho appreciated!!

-Need Driveshaft from 95-99 Impreza AUTO
-Need Rear Diff from 90-91 Turbo Legacy (any more info...??)

I know the driveshaft needs to be shorter for the 6 speed... Does the auto driveshaft work exactly? Just don't want any suprises, ya know?

Anyone that HAS done the swap, and has any tips, or whatever, help me out!! Want to make sure that i got everything lined up right.

Oh yeah, it's non-DCCD btw... Peace
Old 09-17-2004, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Any 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza will work. Unfortunately, they are disappearing fast as people doing JDM 6MT swaps are snapping them up. As for rear diff, you'll need a 3.90 ring and pinion set to swap into your diff. These are found in several different Subarus, and can still be obtained new if you can't find a junkyard Leg turbo rear diff.

Other than that, just make sure you have the shift linkage, boots, etc., and it will bolt right in. I believe you'll also need the transmission crossmember and mount, but I'm not certain.

Recommendations: Get som Kartboy shifter bushings, Kartboy short shifter, and STi Group N trans bushing to install with the gearbox. It's a serious pain to install those later, and you'll want them. They're also less than $200 total.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX. Straight Sexy.
Ahhh right on. That's exactly the info that i was looking for!

One last question... i talked to a guy at junkyard and he said there was no difference between turbo and non turbo legacy.... Is that wrong? Is LSD a factor between the 2?
Old 09-18-2004, 06:28 PM

You shouldn't use the whole diff, you should swap the ring and pinion onto your WRX diff to change the ratio. So, it doesn't matter if you get a turbo or non-turbo Legacy diff, as long as it is 3.90:1.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Any 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza will work. Unfortunately, they are disappearing fast as people doing JDM 6MT swaps are snapping them up. As for rear diff, you'll need a 3.90 ring and pinion set to swap into your diff. These are found in several different Subarus, and can still be obtained new if you can't find a junkyard Leg turbo rear diff.

Other than that, just make sure you have the shift linkage, boots, etc., and it will bolt right in. I believe you'll also need the transmission crossmember and mount, but I'm not certain.

Recommendations: Get som Kartboy shifter bushings, Kartboy short shifter, and STi Group N trans bushing to install with the gearbox. It's a serious pain to install those later, and you'll want them. They're also less than $200 total.
As you know I'm doing the same thing, regarding the kartboy short shifter, it's the kb sti short shifter that you need to get, correct? Or can I use my old kartboy short shifter and modify for the reverse lock out? Do you think the short shifter had anything to do with my tranny frying at 17K or is it just the power/my driving skills (or lack of)/track day combined?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by doubleurx
As you know I'm doing the same thing, regarding the kartboy short shifter, it's the kb sti short shifter that you need to get, correct? Or can I use my old kartboy short shifter and modify for the reverse lock out? Do you think the short shifter had anything to do with my tranny frying at 17K or is it just the power/my driving skills (or lack of)/track day combined?
No, you need the STi-specific shifter. The shaft is offset so the reverse lockout cable can run through. As for what caused your gearbox problem, what was the symptom exactly? Just the whining sound? That's usually a synchro issue, which can be caused by poor driving skill, although that's usually induced by short shifters. If you have Nate diagnose your issue he can probably explain exactly how it happened.

Sorry about the hijack Aphello.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
Sorry about the hijack also. Either way cheers to the new 6 speed. By the way my driving skills are fine, they just got better after I stopped using the useless third pedal.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:48 AM

A WRX auto driveshaft works. I tried to install a 96 auto driveshaft and it didn't work. Now the wrecking yard could have screwed me, but I know the WRX auto works perfect. Just swap out the ring and pinion, no need to lose your LSD. The trannny crossmember is identical, no need to change it.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:30 PM

pmed you
Old 01-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
I blew my stock 5 speed. Went to a shop and then bought a built 5 speed with 8000 miles with the legacy GT gearing inside. That set up lasted me about 3 months before it blew again(Never launched the car). So I ended up getting a 04 JDM STI 6 speed swap with 58k Auto DCCD from Jspecauto.com. That ran me about $4300 shipped to my house, A stage 1HD clutch and slave cylinder about $650, and getting the flywheel machined about $45. I will be installing myself since I'm sick of getting screwed over by a "good" shop that I used to work for. That being said it will be just under $5000 for the entire swap if my current wheels will fit over the Brembos.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Nice 13 year bump there
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Did I not just say recently we haven't had a good necro in a while?