Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

reliability (of WRX STi vs Evo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:09 AM

reliability

so what do you guys think is more reliable and will last longer wrx sti or evo? ill say sti but thats just me
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2015 STI
I think for the most part, the transmission on the EVO is not strong enough to hold its power. I have a friend with an EVO bought last year, and his clutch is slipping already. But, I think it will do just fine. Taking abuse on both cars... the STi has the better quality.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
I say STi too. On Top Gear the dude was testing the Evo and he just grabbed a corner of the center consoleand ripped the plastic trim off like nothing. The STi is built like a rock and it's all power and handeling. The Evo is all computers that correct your mistakes. They said that if the STi had all the little computers in it like the Evo, it would be matchable. My opinion is get the STi.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
In the long run, Mittsubishi are well known for trans. problems....STI wins...lol
Old 08-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by thunder_sti
In the long run, Mittsubishi are well known for trans. problems....STI wins...lol
my opinion is the same as the above. the Evo's tranny hasn't been known for problems. however, Mitsu's QA isn't very good, so build quality differs from batch to batch....
Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
From what people have said the STi is also a better daily driver than the evo...And dont get the subaru 5mt confused with the 6spd. the 6spd can hold i think around 500lft/lb of torque. Id say go with the STi because i think its a better car.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 PM
VIP Member

faster straight sti>evo
faster turn evo>sti
better reliability sti>evo
sti boost 14.7 lbs stock.. evo boosts 19. mitsu was never known for great reliability.
better potential sti>evo
holds value sti>evo

go with the sti.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:18 PM

Howdy folks,

Interesting question...and one that I was thinking about posting awhile back. I've been driving my '03 Evo (original owner) since March '03 and have racked up about 38k miles. I had an '03 WRX for six months and traded it for the Evo when I saw it in person. So I think I am qualified to make some observations.

The Evo has been an extremely reliable car. Only routine maintenance (oil changes, major interval services) so far. I have experienced warped rotors at 35k miles and my fellow Evo driver "thinks" my clutch is going. Note that I do drive the car like grandma.

The overall build quality, however, does not compare with the Suby. I think the materials (except for the awesome Recaro seats) feel really cheap. The materials used in the WRX feel more upscale. You can see this also when you little things like climate control *****, switches, door handles, etc. I find myself wanting to get a sport-lux car (like an Audi S4) 'cause I feel like I'm driving a beater. THe overall fit and finish is not as good as Subaru. I saw this when I first bought the car, but fell in love with the looks and raving R&T and C&D reviews back then. (The STi was a couple of months from release back then...)

Also for driveability, I don't think the Evo engine is NOT very smooth. Actually it is rather rough running, unless you crank up the revs...as it does want to be driven hard and fast...remember I drive it very conservatively around my town.

I'm also seriously considering trading in for the '06 STi. How does the STi feel in everyday driving? Is it a smooth and torquey engine that is easy to drive around town (ie. slower speeds)? Any other issues that I should be aware of?

Cheers,
Leo
Old 09-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Originally Posted by Dice
From what people have said the STi is also a better daily driver than the evo...And dont get the subaru 5mt confused with the 6spd. the 6spd can hold i think around 500lft/lb of torque. Id say go with the STi because i think its a better car.

thats true fact...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I just got a 06 sti and its a very good daily driver but it will go when you want to. and about the 14.7 psi, my turbo gage says it only spikes at 8lbs stock. Am i just reading it wrong or is the 14.7 psi wrong
Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Coupe
First off, are you through the break in period? And how hard are you gunning it?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:54 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by 06 sti
I just got a 06 sti and its a very good daily driver but it will go when you want to. and about the 14.7 psi, my turbo gage says it only spikes at 8lbs stock. Am i just reading it wrong or is the 14.7 psi wrong

Do you have the stock gauge? If so, its in Mpa. Make sure that the conversion from MPa to psi is correct. I'm getting around 15lbs.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 03' Subaru Impreza WRX - R.I.P.
Originally Posted by LeoEvo

Also for driveability, I don't think the Evo engine is NOT very smooth. Actually it is rather rough running, unless you crank up the revs...as it does want to be driven hard and fast...remember I drive it very conservatively around my town.
Sorry,
had to re-read this line a few times, so you are saying its not driveable around town at low rpm's?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Originally Posted by NeRdY DoRkUs
faster straight sti>evo
faster turn evo>sti
better reliability sti>evo
sti boost 14.7 lbs stock.. evo boosts 19. mitsu was never known for great reliability.
better potential sti>evo
holds value sti>evo

go with the sti.
Agreed.
The Subaru STI's are very reliable and are really good cars.
In the past I worked at a Mitsubishi dealership sad to say but, anyway
I always seen the dealership lots full a EVO's with all kinds of problems
and issues.The most common problem one of the techs told me was the transmissions are very weak in the EVO's and don't take abuse very well.The tech's replaced alot of transmissions on the EVO's because of failure.One of my good friends is a tech at a Subaru dealership and he has told me numerous times that their lots are not full of Subaru WRX's and STI's with problems and they are very reliable cars as long as you keep up on your maintenance,oil changes,tune ups etc. Also the Subaru warranties are the best in the business.

Last edited by WRX409; 07-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.