Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Pulstar pulse plugs vs regular spark plugs (was:bs or what)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
Pulstar pulse plugs vs regular spark plugs (was:bs or what)

is there any truth to this claim, or just bs. i have 36 \k on my stock ones looking to get new ones thinkinig about 1 step colder(stage 2 ap) ngk iridium?
or maybe these.

http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html
Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Car Info: '04 WRX
dunno, if I had a beater I'd check it out, but I'll wait a bit before putting it in my WRX (plus I JUST changed my plugs...)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
It's probably going to make a larger difference if you have a larger power band
stock cars I'd doubt you would see any noticable gains
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Just to note something here. I just had some major problems with my car due to running one step colder Iridium plugs on my 02 WRX. I was losing spark under full throttle after 3,500 rpm. The air being rushed into the cylinder at full throttle was actually blowing out the spark! No CEL would come on either. Conclusion: the electrode on the iridium one step colder plugs are half the size of the factory plugs that come on the 2.0L. Therefore, iridium plugs have less material to hold a consistent spark, factory plugs have 2x the material iridium ones do. My car makes 304 whp on a 2.0 and the factory plugs are recommended up to 350 whp. Iridium plugs work great for STI's, so WRX guys please refrain from using iridium plugs. Hope this hepls.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Pulstar makes claims for their spark plugs that sound like the real benefits of a capacitive-discharge ignition box added to a conventional old-school distributor and coil ignition system, but with no power source for additional spark energy or current capacity to fire lean or rich mixtures. Capacitive-discharge and multiple-spark ignition systems all have a heavy gauge lead running to the car battery or other 12-volt power source.

JC Whitney used to sell 'Fire Injector' spark plugs that made claims to increase power and fuel economy for any engine in their application chart. Someone examined these cheaply made spark plugs and found that they were just projected or extended tip spark plugs that put the electrodes a bit further into the combustion chamber, which in turn acted as though the ignition timing were advanced an additional 1 or 2 degrees, thereby raising the idle speed and giving the unwary customer the impression that they'd found free horsepower from a simple spark plug change.

I'm not willing to spend money on Pulstar spark plugs. The tone of the claims sounds like a scam. That alone makes me very skeptical about a company that doesn't sell any other products.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
i read a review i think on dsport that tested the pulstar on a sti and it gained about 2-3hp and about the same torque. (everything was stock).
and dsport also added that possible better mileage due to better burn.