Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Honda Driver Ready to move to All-Wheel Drive Fun!!!! Noob Help???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM

Car Info: Not one yet
Question Honda Driver Ready to move to All-Wheel Drive Fun!!!! Noob Help???

I’ve read about this car for so long now and I think I’m ready to finally jump into one. I’ve been all Honda for all the cars I drove but now I want some all-wheel drive fun. I’m thinking about buying a 02-03 Impreza WRX Sedan later this year. I like the price range I can find these cars for (about 15,000) now I’m 25 years old and the thing that bothers me is the possible insurance that I’m going to have to pay per month with this car because it’s turbo. I have no speeding tickets so my record is good. Also I don’t know what upgrades most people do on these cars beyond the standard I/H/E bolt-on’s. I need to know were there any problems most people have with these cars and do they last into high mileage since I’m a Honda Civic driver and they last awhile. Just needed to know some info before I got ready to buy this car. Thanks for all the help now and in the future I may have for this car
Old 02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Insurance probably won't be too bad. You'll be going from a car with a HIGH theft rate . The only way to really tell what your insurance will be is to get a quote from your company. It should be free.

We have a set of relatively "standard" mods, but they're not I/H/E like you're used to. On the WRX you don't need, and in most cases probably don't want an intake as they can do damage and cause power loss.

Standards for WRX:

Engine management (like the Cobb AccessPort)
Up-pipe replacement (to a catless up-pipe to reduce the risk of the OEM cat breaking apart and de-turboing your car)
Turbo back exhaust

With those three mods, you're probably look at around $2,000 or so and you'll have an extremely driveable car that makes great power. From there, the sky literally is the limit. Bigger turbo/injectors/fuel pump will put you near stock STI power levels. Then you've got suspension and brakes to think about. It all depends on your needs and budget.

These cars should last in to the high miles if properly maintained. The ej20 in the WRX has been around for some time. The only thing to worry about on the '02 models is the transmission (which could be weakened depending on how the previous owner drove the car). Other than that these are awesome cars.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM WLX
Wink

I just got a 02 wrx sedan. I have built two Hondas in the past (fully built Gsr NA and Itr). The wrx is a fun car as well and the money you would spend on a custom header, cams and EM for NA to add only 20-30 whp without touching internals, you could dump on the wrx and gain almost 100.

I've started out as stated above with a uppipe,downpipe and exhaust. Soon to get a Cobb AP. Also the members of this board are pretty cool unlike some Honda boards like H-T=P.

G'luck on buying.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by LiveandLearn
I’ve read about this car for so long now and I think I’m ready to finally jump into one. I’ve been all Honda for all the cars I drove but now I want some all-wheel drive fun. I’m thinking about buying a 02-03 Impreza WRX Sedan later this year. I like the price range I can find these cars for (about 15,000) now I’m 25 years old and the thing that bothers me is the possible insurance that I’m going to have to pay per month with this car because it’s turbo. I have no speeding tickets so my record is good. Also I don’t know what upgrades most people do on these cars beyond the standard I/H/E bolt-on’s. I need to know were there any problems most people have with these cars and do they last into high mileage since I’m a Honda Civic driver and they last awhile. Just needed to know some info before I got ready to buy this car. Thanks for all the help now and in the future I may have for this car
Congrats on the choice to upgrade!

You're 25 years old so insurance shouldn't be too bad. Normally at the age of 25 insurance costs drop anyway, provided you have a decent driving record.

For "starting mods," start with a Cobb AccessPORT. They run around $650 (may be cheaper for WRX) and will free up some hp. Then follow through with a turbo-back exhaust and maybe some suspension goodies as well.

As for reliablity, Subarus will last forever if they're taken care of, just like anything else......
Old 02-26-2006, 04:55 AM

Car Info: 02 Blue WRX
I pay less insurance on my 02 wrx than my pay for my wife's 00 civic hatch.

as for your upgrades, do your research, and choose a path. you want to have a goal, with a route to follow. I recommend the Cobb route. it's simple and has made many people happy with the results.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Talking

my insurance sucks!! but i do have 3 speeding tickets over a period of 6yrs. im also 25 but i pay about 270 a month, thats why im trying to sell.
this is by far the best car i have ever owned, not one thing wrong with the car, ever(56k) i would recomend a suby to anyone.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM

One thing you might want to look at is the insurance. When I was looking at WRX vs. STi the insurance for the STi was half the price of the WRX.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2004sti
Yes , I got a rate of $600 every six month's full coverage on my sti from allstate with a $250 deductable .
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by red98lude
One thing you might want to look at is the insurance. When I was looking at WRX vs. STi the insurance for the STi was half the price of the WRX.
You mean, STI insurance was twice as much as WRX. Right?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by turtle-speed
Yes , I got a rate of $600 every six month's full coverage on my sti from allstate with a $250 deductable .
yeah but you're in Hawaii.....

STi's in Cali I'm sure must run around 2500/yr. to insure