Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

GT-R vs NSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by soundwave
or that i don't see any value in it for the price paid vs what i get out of it. this isn't a debate about the skill level of auto-x vs track driver.

rather pay $175-225 for a track day that gets WAY more time to learn.
It'll take longer as well

(i'm just raining on your GTR parade man . I do like the car.)
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 2011 OBP STi
Originally Posted by glenspen
I'm sure most would hate being owned by lesser cars too

The cars at the SanFran AutoX vary in price from $500 to $180,000...but they all get owned at some point..
You kind of have a point, but the GT-R is programmed, it's freaking mechanical! It's programmed to do a perfect launch every time (or at least thats what i saw in the Edmund's video on youtube), and its auto! Not as much room for error for a novice driver
Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by resident smurf
have you been to a track day yet? I think youre making a couple key assumptions that are wrong:
1. that people are there to "beat" each other
2. that somehow mountain road driving speed equates to having massive driving skill

for #1 you'd be surprised that most track beginners are not there to compete at all. the best students i've had have been the ones that are motivated to develop their own driving skill, not to pass the GTR or M3 or (insert sports car here) on the track. time trialers and racers are different, obviously.

#2 many of the best drivers on the track would be able to completely dominate in a mountain road driving scenario given a closed course "hill climb" type environment. i know a few people who take their GT3s and Z06's to some events that specifically close off the road to other traffic and run time trials on the mountains. however, most people driving on mountain roads aren't there to race, even people driving nice cars. the gallardo in question may have been driven by an older, more conservative driver that isn't willing to risk pushing the limits of his car on a road where the conditions around the next bend aren't clear, and for good reasons: personal safety and to keep his $$ gallardo pristine, and perhaps also to stay out of jail.

the last time I drove a canyon road quickly it was in the early evening (sun out but getting dark) I saw some headlights coming around the bend and a Viper came out of control and almost hit me head on. Fortunately I saw that he was coming and pulled off onto the very side of the road. he locked up his brakes and was just barely able to avoid me even though I had pulled off to the side and almost stopped (10mph). you just can't properly explore the limits of a sports car on a public road where there could be gravel or other cars coming. it needs to be a closed course.

back to the thread in question, I'm pretty sure an R35 GTR would annihilate any street car Subaru makes on any mountain road around the bay area if the cars were driven head to head. it's a brilliant car for street, track, or daily driving.
also going to the track for an open trackday isn't about beating people, it's about actually being able to use the potential of your car in a safe environment. have you been to one yet?
Thx for the info, i didnt know that because im stupid

Everyone knows by now including you that ive never been to a track day. Im not fortunate enough to have the money to do so.

I know for a fact that beginners dont do track days to compete, i never said otherwise, but if you find yourself constantly on some guys ***, it tells you something

and at no point was i debating about whether or not mtns are the appropriate place to explore limits. You said the sun was up when you had a close call with a viper...Who drives fast on a mtn road anywhere close to commute hour where the sun is remotely shining?

Funny how people say the GTR wouldnt do good in an autoX but would "annihilate" in the mtns. please tell me how mtn driving is easier than autoX!???

In my world AUTOX is a step below,MTNS if a car cant handle an autoX where there are no blindcorners or imperfections, not to mention mtns have more than just 45 and 90' turns, then a car will not do well in the mtns.

Sure the car *would* annihilate Hwy 9 where the ballsiest (stupidest) drivers arent afraid to take it to triple digits (where Saratoga to 35 is possible)

But the roads im talking about, where you never let of the throttle in fear of going too fast (no faster than 60mph cars are all pretty even)
The ideal mtn road is one where no car can reach over 60mph, this ensures that your skill is doing the work and not how much guts you have.

Driver-Car
Roadcourse-Drag Strip

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Yepez is completely right Kyle
Hes right, not that it had much to do with anything i said, besides the Gallardo comment, i just like rubbing it in peoples faces.

Wow your Gallardo can pass me on the freeway!!! OMG!!!! can it do anything else???.....No?....hmmm
You cant tell me he didnt feel 1 slice of his fake heart melting away when he realized he couldnt keep up, and if he was an old guy, or didnt care, he wouldnt have stayed on my *** the first few turns before i started giving him what i got. He shouldve stayed the speed limit like we do when a civic wants to race us on city streets.
Rich people walk all over you, you have to find a way to walk over them

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 03-04-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
pos nuff said
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
man, you sure do hate those who are financially better off don't you?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM

what are you basing that off of? About the guy in the Gallardo? am i not allowed to make fun of him? he could be a cool guy for all i know, doesnt mean i cant rub it in a bit. Im not gonna let him rule my road.

Im best friends with the owner of Black Tie Limo in the East Bay one of the coolest guys ever.

The handfulls just dont seem human. I sold Christmas trees/Pumpkins for 3 years at my friends farm in MV on Grant, (below Los Altos hills) and i'd have to say i got more tips from people in contruction and lower class vehicles than i did loading trees onto escalades, mercedes, G wagons "oh careful please..." STFU! I always give them the benefit of the doubt as anyone does dealing with customers, then they go on and spoil for themselves.

I have a problem with putting people in their place by what car they buy, which isnt always accurate but whatever

we all give negative comments at times, some with less reason than others, all i was trying to say was the GTR is a pig and it will only get bigger with age along with most other car generations and that is sad.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 03-04-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM

i do hate when i have to defend myself everytime i speak my mind. i dont hate anyone and am a very positive smiling person
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Gimme the NSX at the end of its model run, plus maybe a Comptech supercharger.

The GT-R is a powerhouse, no doubt, but its 20lbs of sushi in a 15lb bag.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM

^yeah really

not all leadfood moneybags are unskilled. i.e. even F1 drivers come from very wealthy families.
i never said they were "all" unskilled, a good 1/2 of them are if not more. so i took my 50/50 chance and typed away.

and youre telling me F1 drivers come from wealthy families!?! NO WAY!!! really? LOL!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

I dont care.

When i See rare or expensive cars on the road, I drool even if they are a*shats or not! Hell, once I get my Lambo you can call me a dick all day. But that right hand GTR is SMokin sexy....but the back could have been designed a bit nicer.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM

well maybe thats the answer, i dont really like any exotic cars, i'd rather have a race prepped street car with all that money.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
the gtr is fast... but ugly as ****.. thats like an ugly girl with a good personality. **** that
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
that gtr is sexy! when will we see them in the states?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I would give my left nut for this GTR. the exhaust on that thing makes even a dodge SRT-10 truck tuned exhaust look wimpy.

I could drop my commute from 45 minutes to 10 minutes in this car, because I WOULD BE FLYING *****ES~!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
lol you would think so matt..

you guys only like it cause its the "new skyline holy crap duuuudez!!!"

Quick Reply: GT-R vs NSX