The "when is BAM?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Rescuer
ISWYDT heh!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Just to make sure I am not a total 'tard here, we are talking about central park right?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Overbear
Just to make sure I am not a total 'tard here, we are talking about central park right?
Quarry Lakes.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Totally a possibility, but would people drive to SC from, lets say, north bay or Sacramento?
SC = So Cal ?

Because I am and if people cant drive from Sac, well then I guess they are the problem, not the location.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
santa cruz not so cal. no one wants to go to so cal.

The location and the food trucks come up every year. We've tried this thing at a few places and talked to a few others. One of them was way too small. One of them was shady as hell and essentially stole money from the members. One of them got to small. I'd love to keep doing it at hammy but it's too small. We FILLED it.

Fremont was great. Nice location. Good weather. Central. Huge lot. Etc. The only problem we had with them was the exchange of money and the food truck issue. Despite the fact that they made thousands of dollars off of us in one day and we left the place clean and drama free they requested we change the event status and jump through hoops.

So we have been doing just that. The goal the last few years has been to make BAM more stable, more legit, charity and community centered, and form a positive relationship with a location we can use year after year instead of skipping around.

Can we just bomb a location with cars and do the event and have trucks and all that "legally"? Sure we can. But trust me... it's stressful as hell and you can only **** off so many locations before none of them want you anymore.

We didn't just start this process last week for this event. We've been in contact with the parks for MONTHS. Gagan has been jumping through hoops.

We are trying to insure that the park gets what they want. That the event isn't at risk of the police showing up and booting us. That the vendors can take money without having to be sneaky about it. That the event can be profitable for the charity.

It's quite honestly... insane.

We are not taking any money. We have proof that we're donating everything we have. Yet the parks want more. They aren't happy with the fact they make more money off of us in one day than they do for a couple months without us. 1 day. We leave the place cleaner than when we get there. We have our own security crews. We have our own clean up crews. Etc. They don't give a crap if we're donating profits. They see money... they want it.

Now if we were running this as a business venture like subiefest or any of those other events it would be simple. But our goals aren't to pocket as much money as possible. They are to provide a family friendly, safe, central location that provides a certain vibe and raises money for charity.

The vibe that we have is different from EVERY event out there and it's not easy to be as large as we are and maintain that.

So I get it people. I get wanting the trucks and all that. Believe me. I'd rather have the trucks myslef. That means we don't need a food crew, food budget and I don't have to step foot in costco. I hate costco.

We do the best we can. Gagan is doing the best he can.

Soon as we get a date we'll let you all know. Vendors, raffle, car show, etc. We're gonna do what we do.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

I hate costco.
You are right everyone is trying to move to so cal

I knew I hated you for a reason, I love costco.... well not checking out or the cash only, but that pizza makes up for it.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by sigma pi

I knew I hated you for a reason, I love costco.... well not checking out or the cash only, but that pizza makes up for it.

LOL! Nothing makes up for the check out. And I was born in Harbor City.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
9 to 5 mod

LOL! Nothing makes up for the check out. And I was born in Harbor City.
Yeah that check out is completely ****ed, they REALLY need to do something else because what they have isnt working.

Hell, if they gave you a free slice of pizza while going through that crap, I may forget about how bad it is haha.

South Bay! I am in torrance right now.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM
General Pimpin'

My dad was born in Torrence.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I apologize for jumping on the food truck bandwagon. It seemed logical, but I can understand that it's not.

There is nothing easy or simple about planning/running an event and I am impressed that it has happened so many times.

AMEN to that. Seriously. The only thing I ever go to SoCal for is JCC and even then I hate it there and love to leave.

So amazingly incorrect. Maybe firefighters because of all the extra work?

Note - this may be due to all the time I have spent in the San Fernando valley as a kid, working at Ralphs stocking shelves and stuff. Years later time spent in Irvine made me hate it there too. Valencia is not so bad because you can make a quick getaway. SoCal is really the only place I would like to drive a tank through.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

My dad was born in Torrence.
company of little saint mary ?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Note - this may be due to all the time I have spent in the San Fernando valley as a kid, working at Ralphs stocking shelves and stuff. Years later time spent in Irvine made me hate it there too. Valencia is not so bad because you can make a quick getaway. SoCal is really the only place I would like to drive a tank through.
JCC is legit.

SFV is like the surface of the sun. I HATE going there.

Irvine, the strong hold behind the Orange Curtain. I hate that place too.

Hmmmm should I link that guy driving a tank through SD? I bet the tank gets stuck in our traffic.

Should I do the same for nor cal. SF, richmond, SF, fresno, SF ect
SF is such a POS.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
ya i remember hearing that they were just not happy about money exchanging hands and stuff related to that.

Ive been to hammy, novato twice, alameda, and freemont. For me personally i think freemont has been the best location to date.
qft!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
JCC is legit.

SFV is like the surface of the sun. I HATE going there.

Irvine, the strong hold behind the Orange Curtain. I hate that place too.

Hmmmm should I link that guy driving a tank through SD? I bet the tank gets stuck in our traffic.

Should I do the same for nor cal. SF, richmond, SF, fresno, SF ect
SF is such a POS.
I like Orange County. I spent 4 ish years there going to high school and a little after before moving, but I still enjoy Orange County. I despise the traffic with a vengeance. But I am a little bit used to sitting in traffic with commuting from Tracy to San Jose on a daily basis. I do realize though, that the majority of drivers down there do not know how to drive. Merging on the freeway is comical to watch until they are trying to merge into you.

I just spent a week down in Newport Beach with the wife, kid, parents and my brother and his wife and kids. My son's first trip to Disneyland. Now that that's out of the way, not going back there for at least a couple years.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
I haven't been to SoCal since like 06 haha

Quick Reply: The "when is BAM?" thread