What's the most ticketed car in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
There are probably 1000 WRXs for 1 Supra around. Not sure how this statistic is accurate.
haha thats what i was going to say... i rarely see a supra, but its on the top 20 list?! hah
Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Since no one is reading it...

A recent study from Insurance.com found that owners of the Subaru WRX were the most likely people in the US to be ticketed for traffic infractions, with 33.6 percent of them receiving a citation in the last three years. Coming in a close second and third were drivers of the Pontiac GTO at 32.7 percent and the Scion FR-S at 32.6 percent. At first glance, this report looks like just a mildly interesting anecdote to tell your friends during a lull in conversation, but there seems to be a serious problem with the methodology here that might be blowing these numbers way out of proportion.

Insurance.com explains that it based the study on 557,238 drivers who requested online insurance quotes from its service from January 1, 2013 to July 2014. To make it onto the list, a vehicle needed over 50 quotes, and in the end that left 526 models.

However, these facts are almost useless because the list isn't based on percentages from the whole pool. The study's ranking comes from owners of specific vehicles, and these numbers aren't mentioned anywhere in the company's press release. All we know about the sample size for each model is that it's higher than 50. Assuming that amount for the WRX means it would only take about 17 people with tickets using the site to put the sporty car in first place.

These unknown model sample sizes might explain some of the extremely odd entries on the list. For example, the long-discontinued Mercury Topaz is in seventh place with 28.8 percent of its drivers receiving tickets. The GTO and Toyota Supra are also in the top ten and out of production. Just a few people searching for these vehicles could be the reason for these strange results.

Obviously automotive studies have their place, but this one just appears to have gotten confused along the way.
I think the big thing is that this is based off of insurance quotes. When do people get quotes? When they're thinking about getting rid of their Mercury Topaz and buying a new car or if they just picked up a ticket and are shopping around for a better rate. There could also be multiple quotes that were generated by same person.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU

I think the big thing is that this is based off of insurance quotes. When do people get quotes? When they're thinking about getting rid of their Mercury Topaz and buying a new car or if they just picked up a ticket and are shopping around for a better rate. There could also be multiple quotes that were generated by same person.
Some days I dont know why I try..... but then some one reads and it makes it all better
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI

I read the article before you quoted. .but couldn't the information collected also be skewed by people looking for quotes for a car they are in the market for? I got a couple online quotes for an STI in general before I actually purchased the car.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Also true.

But it doesn't look like there are a lot of desirable cars on the list.

The data collection isn't great. Add to that that the interpretation of the data isn't great either. Then throw on some sensationalism...

Ugh...

Meanwhile, I just had a co-worker come by to tell me that the WRX is the most ticketed car on the road.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Ugh...

Meanwhile, I just had a co-worker come by to tell me that the WRX is the most ticketed car on the road.
Yeeeaaah I had that happen as well..."Hey, didn't you use to drive a WRX..."
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI
Originally Posted by LxJLthr

Yeeeaaah I had that happen as well..."Hey, didn't you use to drive a WRX..."
Lol! I'm used to people asking if I've gotten any tickets "yet". Probably the third most common question behind "is this really your's?" and "do you race?"
Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
Is it bad that I got a ticket the day this came out?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Super_Subie13
^^ winner winner chicken dinner!

What for?
Speeding on my way home from work on 280. Cited just for change of address on my license. Verbal for the speed.

Then the very next week i got pulled over on my way to work for speeding on 17. I basically told him i deserve the ticket and to just write it lol.
No mercy there.....86 in a 50 on a mountainous road.....i have a feeling it will be over 500 bones even tho it was my 1st speeding ticket.

Only other ticket ive recieved is a carpool lane violation ticket lol. Damn s00b is a bad omen hahahaha.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by beLittled
Lol! I'm used to people asking if I've gotten any tickets "yet". Probably the third most common question behind "is this really your's?" and "do you race?"
I get that too when they see my car.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Speeding on my way home from work on 280. Cited just for change of address on my license. Verbal for the speed.

Then the very next week i got pulled over on my way to work for speeding on 17. I basically told him i deserve the ticket and to just write it lol.
No mercy there.....86 in a 50 on a mountainous road.....i have a feeling it will be over 500 bones even tho it was my 1st speeding ticket.

Only other ticket ive recieved is a carpool lane violation ticket lol. Damn s00b is a bad omen hahahaha.
Wait, cops actually set speed traps on 17???

I've never seen a cop on 17, though, I almost always drive there at night.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by AWDfreak

Wait, cops actually set speed traps on 17???

I've never seen a cop on 17, though, I almost always drive there at night.
Yeah they set them during the day I got 65 in 50 at 8am right after the speed limit changes from 65-55-50 going up hill out of sc
Old 10-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Wrx STi
Been pulled over 3 times in the last year for my erratic driving. First two time were speeding in my wrx wagon the third most recent in my STi was for just plain driving like a jackass. Got a verbal warning all three times and no ticket. Knock on hoodscoop!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Scoobywax

Hope it is that low. My last one was 81 in a 65 and was still $600 AFTER I went and requested a reduction in Walnut Creek.

I'll knock on wood too, but in the FXT now, cops rarely look at me unless I'm hauling butt.