What happens if you dont replace strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
What happens if you dont replace strut mounts?

Hi all,

so, I had the clunking noise in the rear of the car. Was told by dealer it is the rear strut mounts. However, they said that I dont have to change it if I don't want to.

I was wondering what will happen to the car if I dont change the rear strut mounts and just live with the clunking noise? How long can I ignore the problem?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Don't ever go to the dealer, look at the sticky post with local shops, they know way more and are way cheaper than the dealer.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/norcal-shop-info-%2Anewbies-look-here%2A-229928/

Also subaru stock struts have grease that tends to get waxy over time (atlleast with stis) which can cause that clunk. Unless the mounts are falling apart, which I doubt, just turn up the music a bit hehe. Seriously though, unless you know that its tight and secure and/or know how to make sure, take it to one of our awesome shops for an opinion.

Last edited by code3suby; 05-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
I heard from someone that if your re-grease them they stop clunking? Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM

yea, i researched and found out that the struts are causing the clunking. Although, I thought it was only the case for the STIs ?? mine is a WRX.

Also, I made sure with the dealer that the struts are ok (according to them). It is the rear strut mounts that are causing the clunking noise.

Yea, I am going to buy the strut mounts myself and have one of the local subie shops install it.

I just wanted to know, how long can I hold this off? What is the worst case scenario if I dont replace the strut mounts ?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by code3suby
Don't ever go to the dealer, look at the sticky post with local shops, they know way more and are way cheaper than the dealer.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229928

Also subaru stock struts have grease that tends to get waxy over time (atlleast with sti) which can cause that clunk. Unless the mounts are falling apart, which I doubt, just turn up the music a bit hehe. Seriously though, unless you know that its tight and secure and/or know how to make sure, take it to one of our awesome shops for an opinion.
Im still blown away at how all the dealership service departments know LESS about the cars they work on everyday then just about anyone that regularly reads the forums.

Just search for "Strut Clunk" or "Strut Cluncking" and you'll see posts going back at least 5-6 years and also the fix for it. The noise is NOT the strut top, as Code3 said its the strut cartridge sticking in the strut housing. Happens to alot of the rear struts after a while, the fix is to just take them apart, re-grease the strut/cartridge and re-assemble, fixed.

The dealership saying its the strut top thing goes back to the first Subaru TSB on this thing all the way back in like 05, and even that was apparently just subarus best guess at the time. Which is retarded since the rear strut mount is just a solid lump of steel and rubber, theres no moving parts so as long as everything is bolt on right theres no way it would make any noise at all
Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I have heard of wrx struts doing it too, but not that often. Like Krinkov said, the mounts are rubber and metal and unless somehow there was a major failure, or the nuts are physically loose, there's no way to make noise.

Take it to a shop before you buy anything. If its the struts, just ignore it until you replace them.

Originally Posted by asoka05
yea, i researched and found out that the struts are causing the clunking. Although, I thought it was only the case for the STIs ?? mine is a WRX.

Also, I made sure with the dealer that the struts are ok (according to them). It is the rear strut mounts that are causing the clunking noise.

Yea, I am going to buy the strut mounts myself and have one of the local subie shops install it.

I just wanted to know, how long can I hold this off? What is the worst case scenario if I dont replace the strut mounts ?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
There isn't much inside the rear tophats. I don't think there is a bearing in there like in the fronts, there are some rubber bushings though. I suppose it's possible for them to clunk somehow, but it's much more likely that it's something else. Rear sway bar will clunk..

The tophats should outlast a couple of sets of struts, IMO. Are your struts fairly old?

Your stock WRX struts cannot be taken apart and re-greased, they are gas-charged and sealed non-rebuildable units.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 05-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by stan_t

Your stock WRX struts cannot be taken apart and re-greased, they are gas-charged and sealed non-rebuildable units.

Stan
correct, I had just assumed it was the STI rears, but yeah still not the rear top-hats.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM

i have a 05 wrx. stock struts with tein springs. miles are ~40k

so, you guys are saying that its not possible for top mounts to make clunking noise? Or am I understanding it wrong?

The dealer specifically told me the mounts are bad, and said the struts are still ok. I guess I have to take it for a second opinion. The second opinion is going to cost me at least $100 though
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Clunks, squeaks and rattles.... it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
Old 05-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
^^^ yup.. Had my 04 STi for over a year, and it still has strut clunk lol. New top hats and new coilovers did nothing to fix it. Got use to it now though lol
Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by stan_t
There isn't much inside the rear tophats. I don't think there is a bearing in there like in the fronts, there are some rubber bushings though. I suppose it's possible for them to clunk somehow, but it's much more likely that it's something else. Rear sway bar will clunk..

The tophats should outlast a couple of sets of struts, IMO. Are your struts fairly old?

Stan
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
^^^ yup.. Had my 04 STi for over a year, and it still has strut clunk lol. New top hats and new coilovers did nothing to fix it. Got use to it now though lol

With the MY04-05 STI rear struts, you were able to drill a hole into the damper, install a grease fitting and pump grease in there without having to take the strut assembly apart (credit to NASIOC DIY and Family member tested), then it would make it easier to re-grease in the future.

Are you able to do exactly that with wrx struts or will that destroy them?

Also....... the retainer nut on the strut mount connecting to the strut is........tight right?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Hey everyone... I think he has a WRX with stock struts, so the STI strut clunk isn't likely.

Hi all,

so, I had the clunking noise in the rear of the car. Was told by dealer it is the rear strut mounts. However, they said that I dont have to change it if I don't want to.

I was wondering what will happen to the car if I dont change the rear strut mounts and just live with the clunking noise? How long can I ignore the problem?

Thanks
Which dealer told you this? It sounds like BS.

- The "strut mount" or "strut top" is rarely the problem. The only problem (extremely rare) are deteriorated rubber such that the bearing is loose, or the bearings are shot (totally unlikely)
- The STI struts are inverted struts and have a tendancy to "clunk" when the grease is gone/done/whatever. The WRX does NOT have the same kind of strut and does not have the clunk problem unless some other fluky failure is happening.
- Did your sway bar flip? The sway bar should be extending OVER your rear lateral links, not under.
- are the endlinks loose?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Hey everyone... I think he has a WRX with stock struts, so the STI strut clunk isn't likely.

Which dealer told you this? It sounds like BS.

- The "strut mount" or "strut top" is rarely the problem. The only problem (extremely rare) are deteriorated rubber such that the bearing is loose, or the bearings are shot (totally unlikely)
- The STI struts are inverted struts and have a tendancy to "clunk" when the grease is gone/done/whatever. The WRX does NOT have the same kind of strut and does not have the clunk problem unless some other fluky failure is happening.
- Did your sway bar flip? The sway bar should be extending OVER your rear lateral links, not under.
- are the endlinks loose?
it is the dealer in Capitol Subaru

I am not sure about the sway bar. Need to check on that.
I do have perrin endlinks. Not sure which is the cause.

I wonder if I can have the dealer change the strut mount, and if it doesn't fix the clunk noise, they have to fix it for free?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
it is the dealer in Capitol Subaru

I am not sure about the sway bar. Need to check on that.
I do have perrin endlinks. Not sure which is the cause.

I wonder if I can have the dealer change the strut mount, and if it doesn't fix the clunk noise, they have to fix it for free?
No, they won't fix for free.

What modifications do you have on your car?

Since you say you have Perrin endlinks, check the tightness of the bolts with a wrench. Most aftermarket endlinks have some gap between the bolt and sleeve and if not tight, they will make a "clack" noice as the metal bangs against each other.

A "clunk" is usually heard on the front sway bar as it shifts left/right

Check the tightness of the 3 bolts on the top hats (mount). Just tightenly LIGHTLY (like 12 ft/lbs or something) because too much torque will snap the bolts off.

Take a look at the strut tops yourself... get in the trunk, undo the 3 bolts, take off the dust covers and look at the center where the strut connects to the hat. If it really is the hat, then chances are you should be able to see it.

Also make sure your wheel lugs are not loose.

Quick Reply: What happens if you dont replace strut mounts?